Cryptic Studios Calls For a Metacritic Reform

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubsaucekiller

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]NO. Just NO.I don't care how hard-core a fan you are, if you pay $1000 for something in a GAME your just dead to me.[/citation]
Luckily no one cares what you think about them.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]clubsaucekiller[/nom]Luckily no one cares what you think about them.[/citation]
Same goes for you. Please go.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
thats why you release a beta copy of the game, then actually listen to the feedback and make a game that the gamers want.

I have taken part of many game betas in the past and there have been changes that were heavily requested that the companies completely ignored, then when the items were released, those same issues came up in the reviews and made the games do poorly.

Most of the games that do poorly, do it because they fail to listen to their customers. I have for the most part stopped entering into game betas and stick with more consumer electronic betas instead.

When I beta consumer electronics, if I report a problem, the people running the beta will reproduce the issue and I will get periodic e-mails from the team working on the item giving status updates on the changes being made and any compromises being made and requesting additional feedback.

Why is is so different with game companies and their betas? with a game company, it is nearly impossible for them to even listen to you but with pretty much any other beta it is nearly impossible for a legitimate concern to be ignored.

Reviews should not be redone as it is a waste or time and resources for the reviews.It is up to the game company to push out a finalized product the first time around and if they feel that it is not complete then they need to keep it in beta and take more feedback from the customers.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
a) don't release games before they are ready (MMO or otherwise)
b) if you think it is a great idea to release crap and expect consumers to finance patches until the product becomes decent then...
c) accept your shitty reviews for you have earned them

G

to all those who say no to the eyelashes..

would you pay 2000$ for half life 3?

and remember half life 3 wont last 1/10th as long as any mmo.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
the beauty of STO is that you don't have to pay 1000 bucks for spocks eye lashes LOL of all teh mmo's STO is teh only one i've come a cross that has a system in place for trading in game resources (dilithium) for real cash tokens (c points). i've made quite a few purcahses in STo , and NOT ONCE did i use real money or my own credit card , i simply grinded dilithium and traded it for c-points bam got what i wanted. I wish more mmo's would do this because every one wins. some one still has to buy the c-points so the company gets their money, and folks can grind time away to trade to get c-points to afford spocks eyelashes. every one wins in this system ... now if they couold just keep the exchange rate from blowing up to 300+ dilithium per c-point every time new content is made .. i'd be 100% happy.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Maybe if they fixed major problems in star trek online people would play it, beam down with away team then poof where did they go? that problem STILL exists, that was a game breaker for me and why i left.

G

this would have more merit if Cryptic had QA department. But clearly form all the release I seen since the game came out they have none. That or the team they have need to be fired. Let see there the new c-store ship they release that was unable to do End Game content (STF). There the recent patch where they broke STF and other missions. The klingon decloak bug which they once said would take a while to fix. IS know working as intended. KDF Full PVE faction. We still waiting for that feature first promised back in august 2008. If they put have the effort in lip service for KDF into content. They kdf would have about 10 times more stuff then Starfleet. But, at least Cryptic all talk and little on action. IN the last two years we seen 6 new missions add to game. This is on game that been lacking content since day one. Heck there grand total of 8 KDF missions. THen abother 20 FE that where written for Federation but the KDF could play. But make no sence. Like the news FE where KDF Takes orders from a starfleet officer. Cryptic was to lazy to make seperate KDF Contact for them. That was way to much work for them. That just small example of the shitty work they done. There rating reflect the game they have and are producing. Maybe they should release a better quality game if they want better rating? Why do i play it? Because it is Trek and my fleet. Any thing else and I be gone. Heck I allready fine my self playing GW2 more and more each day. My fleet is what keeping me in game. That and my love for trek

G

Yup STO started life as a snapped in half small Turd, now its just a HUGE PILE of steaming Shit!

You want to know why STO has a bad Meta Score Cryptic, go read your forums for a few clues!

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]oenj23[/nom]to all those who say no to the eyelashes..would you pay 2000$ for half life 3?and remember half life 3 wont last 1/10th as long as any mmo.[/citation]
I won't pay 59.99 for half life 3. I will wait for a steam sale. But thanks for playing.

cnox

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Why don't they just issue metacritic releases like Startrek Online: Patch 1.3.2 and people can rate the game for each major update?

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
This guy complains about metacritic scores being low on launch for all MMOs because MMOs are expected to ship incomplete and as a buggy mess.

Funny how Rift had such a great launch with little to no downtime and a flawless client. GW2 launched and while there were some exploits and bugs and system outage due to the high concurrency both of these games garnered high scores during launch.

Guess you shouldn't ship crappy games and blame the genre if it is a stinker on release.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
The problem is not metacritic. Metacritic is just a review aggregator. The real problem lies on the reviews.

Oh wait, it doesn't either. The problem is releasing a shitty half-baked product, then complaining that you're getting the flak you deserve.

A way to keep everyone reasonably happy in this case would be to periodically refresh the reviews for MMOs and the aggregated score. But most reviewers won't bother to refresh a review they've done already. So suck it down already Cryptic.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]the beauty of STO is that you don't have to pay 1000 bucks for spocks eye lashes LOL of all teh mmo's STO is teh only one i've come a cross that has a system in place for trading in game resources (dilithium) for real cash tokens (c points). i've made quite a few purcahses in STo , and NOT ONCE did i use real money or my own credit card , i simply grinded dilithium and traded it for c-points bam got what i wanted. I wish more mmo's would do this because every one wins. some one still has to buy the c-points so the company gets their money, and folks can grind time away to trade to get c-points to afford spocks eyelashes. every one wins in this system ... now if they couold just keep the exchange rate from blowing up to 300+ dilithium per c-point every time new content is made .. i'd be 100% happy.[/citation]
RMAH?

no thanks, D3 killed that idea forever... will never play any game with a RMAH again

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
For some reason it appears very difficult to design a good MMO. SWTOR actually did a god job but like most MMOs once you hit the end game the MMO experience falls apart. If you are charging a monthly sub then end game is critical. SWTOR also suffers from poor PvP content.

As for Star Trek Online the space combat is OK but cannot be expected to carry the game and the ground combat is quirky. I simply lost interest due to game design.

I do agree that MMO ratings is a slippery slope since the MMO does change over time but all games should get rated for initial content then make efforts to work with review sites to display updates and review them.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
On a somewhat unrelated note, this suggestion holds merit for Metacritic's TV reviews, especially since they list shows as ": Season Y." The score for the entire "season," however, is just based on the reviews for the first episode, and most of the shows that get put up there are rookies, in which case the entire "season's" score is based on the pilot. It's a well-observed fact that pilots are not often that representative of how good or bad a show turns out; there have been plenty of great pilots that gave way to crummy series, bad pilots that eventually turned into fantastic shows (Seinfeld being one of the most famous examples), and everything in between.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]the beauty of STO is that you don't have to pay 1000 bucks for spocks eye lashes LOL of all teh mmo's STO is teh only one i've come a cross that has a system in place for trading in game resources (dilithium) for real cash tokens (c points). [/citation]

EVE Online says hello.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]For some reason it appears very difficult to design a good MMO. [/citation]

People just expect too much from new MMOs and the developers tend to make their MMOs far too much like WoW.

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]NO. Just NO.I don't care how hard-core a fan you are, if you pay $1000 for something in a GAME your just dead to me.[/citation]
"You're" dead to me because you can't even use words correctly when complaining about what people spend their own money on.

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]the beauty of STO is that you don't have to pay 1000 bucks for spocks eye lashes LOL of all teh mmo's STO is teh only one i've come a cross that has a system in place for trading in game resources (dilithium) for real cash tokens (c points). i've made quite a few purcahses in STo , and NOT ONCE did i use real money or my own credit card , i simply grinded dilithium and traded it for c-points bam got what i wanted. I wish more mmo's would do this because every one wins. some one still has to buy the c-points so the company gets their money, and folks can grind time away to trade to get c-points to afford spocks eyelashes. every one wins in this system ... now if they couold just keep the exchange rate from blowing up to 300+ dilithium per c-point every time new content is made .. i'd be 100% happy.[/citation]Guild Wars 2 does this with the cash gem and gem gold system in place.

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]hate machine[/nom]This guy complains about metacritic scores being low on launch for all MMOs because MMOs are expected to ship incomplete and as a buggy mess.Funny how Rift had such a great launch with little to no downtime and a flawless client. GW2 launched and while there were some exploits and bugs and system outage due to the high concurrency both of these games garnered high scores during launch.Guess you shouldn't ship crappy games and blame the genre if it is a stinker on release.[/citation]
And where is Rift now?

Yeah, that's what I thought. I spent $10 on it on a steam sale late last year, played it for a few days, got bored, and never looked back. Glad I only spent $10 on it and not $60.

Status
Not open for further replies.