CrystalDiskInfo [C5] [C6] "Caution" on HDD

SWolf17

Prominent
May 1, 2017
I have a 3TB Seagate BarraCuda ST3000DM008 HDD which I bought last year with my new PC. I usually check its SMART values using CrystalDiskInfo once a month since I previously had a bad experience with an HDD failing on my old PC. Just today, I noticed CrystalDiskInfo warning me about the [C5] (Current Pending Sector Count) and [C6] (Uncorrectable Sector Count) values of my current HDD. Here's a screenshot of CrystalDiskInfo:

Ib4v9VL.png

What do you guys think? Should I replace it ASAP? I haven't experienced any Bluescreens or crashes (yet), the windows event viewer does not display any error messages connected to the HDD itself and using the windows drive error-checking tool did not find any issues with it. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions are highly appreciated!

Solution
Hello SWolf17. If you suspect that the drive may be giving you trouble, we recommend running our free Seatools software and it will give you the health of the drive. As far as how best take S.M.A.R.T measurements, because we don't publish hard drive attributes and thresholds as a matter of policy, third party tools can often be inconsistent or inaccurate. SeaTools is your best bet for drive diagnostics.

USAFRet

Titan
You need to start a comprehensive automated backup routine.
That way, when the drive dies (not if), your data will be fine, and you simply slot in a new drive.

You should be doing this anyway.
Always operate on the principle that your data is never more than 0.25 secs away from disappearing completely.

SWolf17

Prominent
May 1, 2017

Yeah, my last HDD was also a Seagate, so I can't say that I'm really happy hearing that this one might fail as well. Would you have any suggestions for a good alternative in case I want to purchase a replacement 3TB HDD?

Thank you for your suggestion. In case of any important files I highly agree with you: I do regular backups of my C: and I: drive and store them in different locations. The current drive D: only contains games and I feel that doing regular backups of files I can easily redownload via online-services such as Steam, Origin, etc. is not worth the time it would take to do backups of D: on a consistent basis. That being said, I am currently in the middle of doing a backup of at least some parts of the affected drive, just to be safe.

As an additional question: I have read that affected sectors might become reallocated when new data is written onto them. Since the [05] (Reallocated Sectors) count is still 0 I assume this has not happened yet? Also, I find it strange that the [C5] and [C6] values are identical (both refer to 24 sectors) - is this just by chance or are [C5] and [C6] refering to the same sectors? I will continue to monitor these values and in case they increase or in case I notice any other strange behavior to directly exchange the drive.

Hello SWolf17. If you suspect that the drive may be giving you trouble, we recommend running our free Seatools software and it will give you the health of the drive. As far as how best take S.M.A.R.T measurements, because we don't publish hard drive attributes and thresholds as a matter of policy, third party tools can often be inconsistent or inaccurate. SeaTools is your best bet for drive diagnostics.

Solution
That would be 1.5 years old at 8 hours per day usage...or, 3 years old at 4 hours usage, etc...

3 TB models for assorted manufacturers have some of the highest failure rates around, often triple or quadruple that of 2 TB or 4 TB drives....

Back up any of your needed data from this drive now, just in case....; probably best to rely on it only for staorage of things that can be redownloaded anyway, and of the category of 'no big deal' if all is suddenly lost on it.

USA Mike

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
hello,

how did your situation with such drive go since this time ?
i have the same drive model and same error but 9years of using it (10y in september):

C5 Current Pending Sector Count Current:100 Worst: 100
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count Current:100 Worst: 100

did you lost files ?

seagate-dd-4-Txxxxxxxx.jpg

Last edited: