Crytek May Be Looking to Expand Crysis Into Other Genres

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Milking what, the cry engine? The Crysis series is over after 3. How much sense would it make to stop using their engine after spending millons on it. The point of this article was to point out how Crytek is trying to find new ways to use their engine.

G

Looking forward to maxing out my PC with Crysis 3 (GTX 680 4GB, 16gb ram, 512GB SSD, 2560 x 1600 display) So glad they decided to develop it for PC first then dumb it down to consoles for a change.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
How about a game about shooting dinosaurs? They could use the Crytek engine and their expertise in FPS games to and call it: Dino Crysis.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I can definitely see more games set in the crysis universe. Its not milking a dead cow as long as they bring something new and exciting. Think of a Crysis RTS! :)

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
also, the article didnt mention anything about just expanding on the cryengine. though its a given that they want to use cryengine 3 as much as they can, this article is about the future of the franchise after the trilogy. Like how mass effect is continuing.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sixdegree[/nom]How about a game about shooting dinosaurs? They could use the Crytek engine and their expertise in FPS games to and call it: Dino Crysis.[/citation]

Or.. They could create a decent Jurassic Park game for once and use this engine.
Seriously, Jurassic Park is a hard movie to replicate in a game because the visuals need to complement the gameplay (which also has to be good and believable).

G

Plz make some H-Game with the engine.
Use the nice sking rendering... use the dynamic...Don't waste it.
I am sure those games will sell much better than Crysis.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
It is over? Is it a joke? Crisis 1 was cool, non-linear game that continues to be fun nearly 6 years after release (and still is taxing for hardware, btw). I want to know, what the hell happened to Nomad, what was going on with Prophet after he was abducted and what the hell was between attack on Langshan islands and... New York? Crysis 2 was big WTF for me and many other people. Crytek, get yourself together!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]crossfiresli160[/nom]just work on timesplitters 4[/citation]

i believe they wont do that because of the preformance that the last game got... lest thats what i heard.

[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]also, the article didnt mention anything about just expanding on the cryengine. though its a given that they want to use cryengine 3 as much as they can, this article is about the future of the franchise after the trilogy. Like how mass effect is continuing.[/citation]

crysis, the tactical fps.
crysis, the tactical overhead game
crysis, the tactical rpg

so many good games genres to break into without straying to far from fps roots.

G

I`need download the demo of this game, somebady help me?.
Tom`s hardware help me please?

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Of course they should keep making games with the Cryengine. This is exactly why Epic has such a usable engine. They build the Unreal Engine around their video games, and tailor it to them. Not only you have a proven engine that was actually used to make a video game, but you also discover your engine's bugs and weaknesses, and fix them. Otherwise, you have a lot of code that's probably not that useful for anything, or is incredibly inefficient. "We have a game engine that was never used in a video game!" won't fly.

There's a saying to aspiring game programmers: make games, not engines. However, you can build a basic engine to create a game.

[citation][nom]Vatharian[/nom]It is over? Is it a joke? Crisis 1 was cool, non-linear game that continues to be fun nearly 6 years after release (and still is taxing for hardware, btw). I want to know, what the hell happened to Nomad, what was going on with Prophet after he was abducted and what the hell was between attack on Langshan islands and... New York? Crysis 2 was big WTF for me and many other people. Crytek, get yourself together![/citation]
^this

CryEngine 3 has already been adopted by Chris Roberts and team to build Star Citizen, which is of course a space combat flight sim. The Frostbite engine built for Battlefield is being used to create the next Command & Conquer game. Game engines can be adapted to do many things.

Having said that, I think the main point of the article is that the Crysis universe can be expanded beyond just FPS games, whether you use CryEngine to do it or not.

papaspud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2012
[citation][nom]Herr_Koos[/nom]CryEngine 3 has already been adopted by Chris Roberts and team to build Star Citizen, which is of course a space combat flight sim. The Frostbite engine built for Battlefield is being used to create the next Command & Conquer game. Game engines can be adapted to do many things.Having said that, I think the main point of the article is that the Crysis universe can be expanded beyond just FPS games, whether you use CryEngine to do it or not.[/citation]

It is also being used right now for Mechwarrior online. Frostbite2 engine is being used for the next Dragon Age game and hinted that it is being used for the next Mass effect game. Good gaming engines can be used for a variety of games.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
[citation][nom]sixdegree[/nom]How about a game about shooting dinosaurs? They could use the Crytek engine and their expertise in FPS games to and call it: Dino Crysis.[/citation]

You're a friggin genius. I know this will likely never happen, but Dino Crysis was one of the best games of my childhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.