Crytek Working on DirectX 11 Patch After All

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
...and it should be "gamers" at the very start, in case some of you decide to completely miss the point of the post and score some cheap points to rack down on a simple misspelling error...

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]Who bought this game for PC is a total moron.[/citation]

bwahaha I agree, suckers!! i knew this was going to happen so I never bought this trash

Agustus69

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Well mrpijey, unlike you, I have expectations when companies have already set certain standards. I reinstalled and played the original Crysis a month before Crysis 2 just to get my fix in and that was just one, flat-out incredible game.

Crysis 2 was clearly designed for consoles in mind. Yes, the artwork is top-notch. But then you have the blurring, the nondestructive environment, the non-saves, the crappy controls, the very linear gameplay, only two antagonists - similar looking aliens and bad guys, an extremely short single-player option (8 hours or less) and a COD multiplayer clone. Really..the most basic and simplistic shooter in recent memory.

Now you're welcome to jump up and down, and gush over what you think is a masterpiece. But I shelled out $60 to pre-order what I thought was going to be another step forward in gaming from CryTek. Instead, it was one hella big step backwards, at least for PC gamers.

Bototm line, I know when a turd has been dropped in my lap. Maybe you should take a second look yourself.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Haven't played the demo yet nor do I plan on buying the game until some point in the future when I have time to play the original. If you want to edit the comment under the red add comment button above the first post is the read comments in forum button where you can edit it. Tom's please make the add comment button in the page work I don't want to have to post it in the forum for it to work under IE9.

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Agustus69[/nom]Well mrpijey, unlike you, I have expectations when companies have already set certain standards. I reinstalled and played the original Crysis a month before Crysis 2 just to get my fix in and that was just one, flat-out incredible game.Crysis 2 was clearly designed for consoles in mind. Yes, the artwork is top-notch. But then you have the blurring, the nondestructive environment, the non-saves, the crappy controls, the very linear gameplay, only two antagonists - similar looking aliens and bad guys, an extremely short single-player option (8 hours or less) and a COD multiplayer clone. Really..the most basic and simplistic shooter in recent memory.Now you're welcome to jump up and down, and gush over what you think is a masterpiece. But I shelled out $60 to pre-order what I thought was going to be another step forward in gaming from CryTek. Instead, it was one hella big step backwards, at least for PC gamers.Bototm line, I know when a turd has been dropped in my lap. Maybe you should take a second look yourself.[/citation]

I am not saying it's a masterpiece. I agree with you that the destructive environment is lacking, that it's linear etc. But there's a difference between "this game was not as good as the previous one" and "amagad this game sucks I will not kill myself out of shame for ever testing it"-style of replies here.

Yes, Crysis 2 feels more of a straight-to-console game, most console games feels dumbed down because of the simpler controls and lack of depth most console gamers want to put into a game. To me a game is something I can sink into, not something I play between dinner and dessert. So yes, Crysis 2 could have been a lot better if they had PC gamers in mind first. But it's far from as bad as a lot of people here say it is.

And it's far from a letdown to everyone as pkadair claims. I loved the first Crysis and I enjoyed Crysis 2 as well. I don't expect every game that falls into my lap to be a masterpiece of never before seen quality. So I treat it for what it is, an enjoyment for a few hours.

Granted, it can suck if you paid 60 bucks and didn't like the game, for this reason demos should be produced more often (and not these piece of crap multiplayer demos that doesn't say anything about the actual game). But there's no need to trashtalk the game as if it were the worst thing ever. No need to exaggerate the negative aspects of the game.

Was it made with consoles in mind and thus made simpler? Yes
Was PC-specific features such as DirectX 11 cut out to make it cheaper? Yes
Was it dumbed down with a linear story to make it more casual? Yes
Was features cut out to make it simpler to play with a gamepad? Yes

But the game still looks very nice, the engine is nicely optimized, it's not extremely buggy that it needs 3 patches before release (as with so many other games today) (I've noticed only two bugs so far, none serious). And apparently buyers do enjoy the game after all. Sales are good, and now they put the time into making a dx11 patch. Something they didn't have to do anyway since the game is finished anyway and they are making money. And they are not sellouts, they don't make games for charity, they make it as a business. Which means they have to cut corners sometimes for maximum profit too. It's not an easy balance. For example, I absolutely hated Dragon Age 2. Loved the first one, the second was to me just a cheapened and shallow console copy. However it's still not a bad game. It works, people enjoy it. I just don't like it. All respect to the devs tho. And maybe a possible sequel will make it great again.

All I ask is that people just chill and give some little more respect to the developers and people that work hard for these products. Hopefully they will learn from the mistakes and make it better the next time.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Who really cares about this news at this point in time? Crysis 2 has been over and over, even played with BC2 keys. I hope people arent blowing money on hype instead of quality PC games, not some *** console ports.

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]sellouts are sellouts, what else can you say[/citation]

No!!! People who want to make money and have a better audience or gamers who can't pirate as easy are people who want to make money and have a better audience or gamers who can't pirate as easy.

Put your self in their shoes! Wider audience allows to make more followers and money.

Hmmm . . . a $300 USD Gaming console allows me to play with all my friends and family who cannot afford a more expensive PC Gaming rig. Which one do I develop for???

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
A little too damn late as far as I am concerned. I have already beat the game, and have no intentions of playing through it again, regardless of enhanced graphics. A DX11 patched game will be great for new players who never played it as is now, so yeah, sure, make it. But anyone who has already played out the game as is, mentally, they will not want to retread old ground again just for the sake of a few extra visual effects. Unless they plan to introduce new enemies, and a couple new story sections for the SP part of the game, I could seriously care less.

My complaints with the game had less to do with the visuals anyway, and more to do with the poor dual card support, AI being flaky sometimes, and the bugs. Well that and how some of the single player mission goals would be for naught, making things you did feel very unrewarding (Go inside the alien base, get spit out. Reach the Hargreave building, get flooded out. Reach the civilians, defend them so they can escape, and have them and Gould experience escape evac fail blah blah blah).

The big story gap between pt 1 and pt 2 was pretty lame too, and how little there was on enemy variety, the game honestly did feel too rushed to release. I guess the best way to say it was this was no Doom 3 or Half Life 2 for pc gaming of this generation (DX9.0C through DX11).

Even worse, this game was no Crysis 1 for that matter. Nor does it compete with Bioshock 1 or 2, Bad Company 2, etc. While the game is a solid experience, and easily a B- title worth a play through once at least, it brought nothing new or groundbreaking to the table, either in gameplay, or from a technological aspect. At least they made it run on 360 and PS3 though, ammarite? :p

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Bullshit, when i bought my 360 i was pirating games just for fun, with 60% of them i didn't even play. After a month i had something like 80 games maybe. And you talk about how people is pirating less on consoles, shut uuuup!!!
The few good games i've ever bought were for a PC!!!!

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Well this is good news. I'm hoping they add more graphics tweaking options in the menu as well. That would be nice... Crysis 2 had to have one of the worst set of graphics customization options that I've ever seen... That being said, the graphics ARE pretty darn good...

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crysis 2 is nice game, it's a game that doesn't "require" that you run around jumping and constantly firing at something ... you can actually relax for a few moments and look around and enjoy the scenery. Only the twitchers aren't happy with this game.

I have no idea why they would release a DX11 patch after the game has been on the shelf for weeks/months? There is only a tiny population of people who would buy the game this late after release, and an even smaller population of people waiting for DX11 patch before they buy.

Makaveli316,

Do you even understand what you wrote?? You claim to pirate 80 games in one month (that 2.6 games per day) and then claim you didn't play 60% of them ... this triggers a few questions:

1. How did you know you successfully pirated a game if you didn't actually play them?
2. Do you have any sort of life at all beyond your XBOX and/or PC?

So you pirated 2.6 games per day, and I assume you must have played each game to validate your pirating efforts actually worked ... assume you had to sleep sometime during this month (unless you do Meth)? And I gotta assume your personal hygiene (shower, brushing your teeth, visiting the bathroom) must have suffered considerably given the limited number of hours in a day.

People do pirate less on consoles, you're the exception ... and I don't mean that in a good way. But consoles success was not simply because it's more difficult to pirate, it's success is because it's cheaper than a PC, easier to setup than a PC, and doesn't require constant updates and endless surfing to solve OS problems like we do on Microsoft's Windows platforms. And finally, people didn't have to keep upgrading their consoles internal hardware if they wanted to play the latest release.

I'm not a console player, I have a PS3 but use it for Blu-ray and Netflix exclusively ... but I at least understand why so many developers moved away from PCs to Consoles ... many factors, pirating problems with the PC is just one of those factors.

I believe Makaveli was stating that he downloads the games just for fun. He is not actually making the pirated versions, but who knows and who cares.

PC games fell off for two main reasons the expense of building a computer with enough muscle to play the games as intended. The second reason is portability I believe, its much easier to pack up your 360 or PS3 and take it somewhere if you wanted. Crysis 2 is a pretty good game I think would it have been better if it was DX11 sure, but that does not make it a bad game. I actually like the game and enjoy playing it. For all the haters I suggest to you people to go out and get a life because in the end it is just a game and that is that. They devolop these to make money and that is the bottom line.

[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]I thinks these articals are funny, not the content itself. the people buying the game. I wonder what the hell most of you do for a living.Its not the crytek or anyone of the general games house do stuff like this deliberate, There is generally a reason. Remember, developers and accountents do not get alone. The game writers and programmers all want the best in there products, not most all of the time its about money. yea it sucked, they held back, I did not like it, but its a game not a religion, one false statement or a quick change and people thing there are trying to screw you. I got it. NO its not as good as the first. To be honest the controlls suck on the pc. to many options but hell, as I said its a game. Passes time for a while. there are a lot of people who seem to feel the game companies own them something, not sure where that came from, at least to me this is what most comments read like. Maybe that is whey I am a generall gamer. To me its just a game not a life.[/citation]

Crysis was a religion 2007-2010

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Could they possibly make a DX11 patch for Crysis 1? It would be time better spent. Crysis 2 was way too console-ish for my liking. And what's up with there being no end boss. The battle on the Aircraft Carrier in the first Crysis was Epic.
After finishing Crysis 2, I uninstalled it and re-installed Crysis 1 Which is really playable now that I've sprung for a new video card for the release of the new game.

G

It's funny how short peoples' memories are with regard to Crysis 1's reception. So many people bitched about Crysis 1's steep hardware requirements, or that it was a tech demo not a game, and so on. Now it's "why couldn't Crysis 2 be more like Crysis 1, which was totally awesome".

They're both great games (and so was Far Cry BTW), and I think when Crysis 3 comes out, we'll be hearing people complain about "why it isn't more like Crysis 2, which was totally awesome".

Oh, and stop being the hardware industry's bitch. If you feel like a fool because you spent too much on hardware that isn't being used by the latest games, stop blaming the developers and start taking a good hard look at why you play games in the first place.

universalremonster

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Haha wow... Can most of you exagerate anymore possibly? Why is it when the internet sheep try to express how they like/dislike anything it's always extremes? Everything is either a 1 or a 10. (in my best nerd rage voice) "Awww gooshh...those crytek scum how dare they release this utter complete turd awwww gosh my eyes bleed as I look at the terrrrrible graphics awww gosh what total shit game play....blah blah blah. At WORST, this game is very average. When Crysis 1 came out EVERYONE cried about not being able to run it at max settings. Crysis 2 comes out and every cries about it not pushing boundaries beyond our current hardware. It's a lose lose no matter what is released. Personally? I'm on the side of give me something my current hardware can't run on max settings... but I'm also capable of seeing that all Crytek did was answer the overwhelming complaints of part 1 being too hardware intensive. They TRIED to do what most of their customers asked for...

But, Crysis wouldn't be Crysis I guess without MAXIMUM DRAMA.

I played the game. I played Crysis 1, and Warhead. I liked them all for different reasons. I'll be downloading the DX11 patch and will enjoy it.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Who cares, the damage has been done. This game has been Consolized.
They try to hide it but we know. You can only do so much with the Consoles limited memory.
Why not advertise Crysis 2 as being energy efficient? Just tell everyone you can pull most of the memory sticks out of your computer and you dont even need that second vid card so pull that out as well.

AEternal1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
you know what i think sucks? that you cant get your money back if you buy a crappy game. REALLY TELL the devs what you think about they created the game. play the game, think it sucks, get at least 60% of your money back. seriously. crysis one was so advanced in its time, and so awesome in so many important ways. crysis 2 does not even out of the box support features ( dx10 ) that its predecessor did. please tell me how this is not a step backwards. sure, you super polished dx9....no big deal really. after how may years of dx9, and only NOW is it super polished? dx10 should be super polished for a company with a reputation like crytek. crytek just showed us that it was a one trick pony. it did not care to remain the leader that it once made itself into. it took the easy road of mediocrity, either for fear of piracy, trying to extend their market...whatever, they dropped the bar far below where they used to hold it. plain and simple. crytek no longer cares about their once awesome reputation.
i first played the first crysis on my friends computer ( because mine wasnt even close to good enough at that time ) then i went and built a computer to play crysis, and i bought crysis. i played crysis 2 on my friends computer, and now i wont waste my money on the game...my friend is rather pissed about the crappy product he bought. wish we could get a refund to show our disapproval of such bologne.

my main purpose here is that i am hoping that crytek actually reads all these blogs from their true fans. i hope they see how betrayed we feel. yes, we have no entitlement to expect better from them...but remember, by making yourselves great once, we paid you well for it. and now, since you have ruined that, don't think that you are entitled to my money either.i wont buy this game, neither will any of my other friends. we all have bad ass computers that have been left wanting, so your pocketbooks will be left wanting as well. i hope the trade off for console sales was worth it, because to us, it was not worth it.

.....sigh.....waiting for another dev to care about us true gamers, to set the bar so high that we spend thousands on new computers. only this time, i hope they dont drop the bar on a second title, i hope they raise the bar on their second title as well, and make me feel proud to spend several thousand on a new rig to run it.

as a side note ....computer hardware manufacturers have got to be pissed about this....all the money they are not earning from us gamers not upgrading because the games are not living up to the hardware capabilities.... crytek may lose millions to piracy, but i am sure that hardware devs are losing hundreds of millions to lazy game devs.

maybe its time for the hardware companies to become their own game devs...... that might keep the pc gamer from getting left behind....and hardware sales from slumping from weak games.

Status
Not open for further replies.