[SOLVED] CS650M vs RM650x

Aug 14, 2022
I'm finally getting an upgrade, but would like to spend as little as possible.
I'm getting a little burned out from being out of the loop since my last upgrade of 2016...
So, straight to the point:
I currently have the CS650M PSU that, while it never gave any other problem and works perfectly, there was a time it was making some weird loud noise that went away on its own, suspected factory defect.
If I must switch, I have my eyes on a RM650x, but saving the money would be quite useful.

CS650M is powering the following build:
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4790k
  • Gigabyte Z97MX

It'll be upgraded to:
  • RTX 3060 TI
  • i5 13600k (Thank you so much to everyone who recommended me to wait for this generation)
  • Asus B660M-PLUS D4

I'll be using 1 SSD and 4HDDs.
Thanks in advance!

Aug 14, 2022
ran across this price an hour ago

https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-capstone-series-capstone-650m-650w/p/17-182-263

the rmx is a good psu but for trying to stay "cheap" this price is hard to pass on. it's made by super flower and is a quality unit.

Hard to pass on indeed, but I guess I should have mentioned I'm outside of the US right now...
It doesn't seem like I'll find a better deal than the one mentioned over here.

PS.: Turns out that recommendation was just perfect for a buddy I got in the US!

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
lol. at least someone getting use of the price.

i bought 5 of them since i build for folks a lot and often need psu's around that wattage. that price is much lower than i've seen in a long time.

where are you at right now? partpicker lists a lot of different countries

Aug 14, 2022
lol. at least someone getting use of the price.

i bought 5 of them since i build for folks a lot and often need psu's around that wattage. that price is much lower than i've seen in a long time.

where are you at right now? partpicker lists a lot of different countries

I'm in Brazil, that's great info. Let's see if I can find a better deal there.
I also just found out I'll most likely have to flash the bios of my mobo for 13th gen, so I'll have to pay some shop to do it for me, as I got no 12th gen.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
sadly they don't index Brazil.

but if you can point out a shop or 2 online, i/we can help skim listings. we know what is good and can make it quick to find a good bang for the buck deal.

if it's not in english just get to the main page for me and the rest is easy. specs are a universal language :)

might be the rmx is already a good deal for your area.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
looking through those sites, i don't see anything i'd take over the RMX units you already found. i'd go with either one of those. the 650w one is enough but the 850w is tempting just due to the decent price right now. i never mind having a little bit of extra power just in case i randomly decide to upgrade :)

Aug 14, 2022
Would the 850W affect much of my electricity bill compared to the 650W one?
Or is that a thing of the past and these PSUs take only the required Voltage/Current?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the system will only use what it needs. so having extra capability means nothing unless the system asks for it.

and most psu's run more efficient when using the middle of the power abilities. so running it at 60% is usually more efficient than at 80%. that's where having higher wattage unit is not that bad of an idea.

again not 100% needed, but good to have just in case.

Aug 14, 2022
Thank you so much for your time and help! I'm set on the 850W PSU.
I'll go research a little more about the motherboard issue and hopefully not have to make another thread.
I'll pick your first reply as best answer for this thread, as it might be the most useful for others.

Aug 14, 2022
UPDATE: My B660M-Plus D4 came with a sticker on the box saying that it was ready for the 13th gen.
It was quite well placed, as it seems to be part of the box.
It was great for the cost-benefit, but I hope this is the last time I have to deal with an Asus MOBO (Gigabyte feels like a dream)

I don't know if I should make a dedicated post for it but had trouble with XMP causing POST failure, unable to make my drives show up with Rapid Storage enable and Armoury Crate failing to install all the time. After a struggle to update the BIOS from 1620 (min version for 13th gen) to 2014, everything seems quite stable.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Often booting on ram stick with no xmp gets you started. Then add the second. Now go back to one stick but enable xmp. Finally add second and enable xmp.

Takes a bit but most of the time this sequence usually gets it going.

Might have to manually set the profile. Set to exact specs of ram if you have to do it. Sometimes this works when auto profile won't boot

Aug 14, 2022
Often booting on ram stick with no xmp gets you started. Then add the second. Now go back to one stick but enable xmp. Finally add second and enable xmp.

Takes a bit but most of the time this sequence usually gets it going.

Might have to manually set the profile. Set to exact specs of ram if you have to do it. Sometimes this works when auto profile won't boot

Very good info. I had to do the second part specially. Also I had to swap the ram slots.

TRENDING THREADS