Cuberox, App-Driven Linux-Based Cube, Has Six Touch Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinabas

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
16x16 you say... anyone else think its odd they made a programmable minecraft cube that runs linux add colors to the screens and make them cheap and you've got the best lego set ever

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Needs more pixels.

How much would these cost? I'd be interested if they could sense & communicate with their neighbors and were sufficiently cheap that you could buy a decent number (say $100 for a 10-pack). Then, you could stack them to form larger screens, and I can imagine some interesting games this could enable. But I'm guessing they'll each sell for at least $100, making that a fairly moot point.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks. Yeah, I figured anything capable of running full-blown Android would need a fairly beefy SoC and a good chunk of RAM.

I think they should make a 'lite' version using like a Coretex-M. Maybe they could make them even cheaper by making them specialized and putting different functions in each cube (e.g. a storage cube, a camera cube, a LTE cube, etc.).

But, if they could sense and communicate, then you could still have games for small groups of friends that each have one.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Yeah, given the price, it's just hard to see how these are going to succeed. I mean, with a screen that small, most people would only buy them as a novelty. And the market for $300 novelties probably isn't big enough to support that company.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually, if they would have high-res screens, it would be pretty neat for games where several people are seated at a small table, and for showing videos to friends. No matter where you sit, you'd have a good view of at least one face.

If they could figure out some way to embed cameras in it, just imagine the multi-way video chats it would enable.

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Thanks

AK B

Distinguished
May 16, 2013
Try using all 6 sides at the same time :p
Well, one person can see 3 sides, or all 6 with the help of a mirror. Or two people could each see 3.

I like your pic.

a) You can see only 5 sides at maximum, even while using a mirror, if you set it down on a surface. You would have to hang it by a thread, hold it awkwardly or mount it on a special stand to be able to see the bottom side.

b) The text on all sides viewed by mirror would be BACKWORDS. HaHa

Cuberox

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Dear friends!
Our Cuberox team has come up with a surprise for our backers!

We are integrating a microphone into a charging station, which would allow you to interact with your cube through voice commands!

At the moment, developers can use google voice API for integrating voice controls into their custom applications. And we are also working on using Julius or CMU Sphinx as a voice recognition system.

We have also prepared a live stream of our Cuberox that stands in our office, so you can check out how the real cube works and looks. You can try it at http://www.cuberox.com/online/

Thanks as always for staying with us!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually, I was imagining holding it by the corners. It wasn't intended to be a practical suggestion.

You can fix that in SOFTWARE HaHa

Or use a second mirror, for a lower-tech and even more awkward solution.

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

lol more awkward. its already too awkward to get any worse

Status
Not open for further replies.