Question Curious question about M.2 SSD's

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Hi so um i have been using 2.5" SSD's since August of last year (because before that i was using Hybrids for the OS and games) and i was looking at the WD Green and Blue M.2's and was wondering which one would be pretty good for just the main OS since they are 240gb/250gb and another thing is the heat thing i hear about and my case has 6 fans in it as well (4 intake 2 exhaust) so i was wondering if i do buy a M.2 if i should also get a heatsink for it as well and thanks if you are able to answer these questions for me.

M.2 devices can heat up under continuous sequential processing.
It takes perhaps 30 seconds of such continuous use for heat to build up.
The device may slow down during that time.
You might see that during a virus scan for example.
Under normal use, you will not have any issue.
If you are a paranoid type, go ahead and buy a heat sink, they are not expensive.
Me... I do not bother.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Thanks i just don't like having things too hot in my system and i am now getting used to my GPU temps as well because in the past GPU wise i always used the GTX x50/xx50/Ti cards which always ended up being max temps 55c and now with this RX 570 i am getting used to seeing 68c.
For storage wise like the M.2's i just tend to get a little paranoid when i would see a video and they mention things like it gets as hot as 90c but also they are doing that with Samsung M.2's so i don't know for other companies if it would be similar or worst if you know what i mean.

If your case has a side panel intake, and you have a fan there - may solve the problem depending on the placement of the fan and the m.2 socket. If you have 2 x 120mm side intakes, should not have any worries at all since that should force-cool the motherboard from the cpu socket and lower.

popatim

Titan
Both the Green and the Blue M2 SSD's are Sata SSD's and not a bit faster then their 2.5" versions.

Some M2 sockets only Support NVME drives, some support both types, and fewer still are Sata only so you need to check your motherboards documentation to see which kinds you can install.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Keep in mind NVME and sata ssds arent created equal. NVME drives are faster, but get hotter and may slow down more under heavy usage, but they will still be faster than a 2.5in sata ssd, or sata m.2.

So for a SATA type M.2 what would i expect to see the temps to be instead of a NVMe?

If your case has a side panel intake, and you have a fan there - may solve the problem depending on the placement of the fan and the m.2 socket. If you have 2 x 120mm side intakes, should not have any worries at all since that should force-cool the motherboard from the cpu socket and lower.

My case is the Deepcool Matrexx 55 which i have the 3 front fans and the rear fan for intake and the 2 top for exhaust which i never had any issues with heat so far.

Both the Green and the Blue M2 SSD's are Sata SSD's and not a bit faster then their 2.5" versions.

Some M2 sockets only Support NVME drives, some support both types, and fewer still are Sata only so you need to check your motherboards documentation to see which kinds you can install.

I am using the Asus Prime B450M-A/CSM board which does support SATA drives (i always make sure before i would ever ask something about SATA M.2's) and yes i know they are not as fast as their 2.5" counterpart but seeing how my case only supports 5 drives and there are 6 ports (M.2 takes port 5 and 6) i thought why not use a 240/250 GB M.2 for the OS while i would have my 480GB Kingston A400 SSD for Uplay and Battle.net games and also planning on in 2 months (cause i am not rich) getting a 1TB SSD for my Steam games and keep my 2TB hybrid just for storage of everything else just because right now i am using a pretty old 1TB hybrid as well and its age is finally showing itself when i would try to open up a file/movie from on there and since my 2TB Hybrid is still a little new in a way just thought in general to replace and use SSD's for my OS and games.