[SOLVED] Currently using i7-2600 - what should my next cpu be?

May 25, 2021
I bought my current computer probably about 10 years ago, been using it with some upgrades over the years (motherboard, ram, ssd, vide card).

I don't really play games, and I don't do anything intensive (no graphics work etc) so I actually have no real complaints with the performance of my computer now (except that the only tangible limitation is that I don't meet the minimum requirement for Zoom virtual background, which would be nice to have). In any case, the computer footprint and fan noise started getting on my nerves, so I am looking for a new computer in VESA mountable mini form factor that is quite/silent (fanless preferred).

I recently bought a mini fanless computer using J4125 for my mom, which seems adequate for her purposes, and I can see myself using it, but I see it lagging with certain tasks, like taking a few seconds to fully load Youtube homepage, for example. I won't be doing anything intensive on the computer, but whatever light task I throw at it, I want there to be no delay. I also plan on doing a lot of multitasking.

So, I want to get something better than J4125 at a reasonable price, that is hopefully at least as good as i7-2600 that I am using, in small VESA mountable, fanless form factor.

Like, just how high can you go with CPU with a reasonable fanless configuration?

Can someone make some recommendations for me? Just recommendation on CPU would be welcome, or some good mini PC recommendation would also be welcome. I initially started out with a budget of around $600, but realize I may need to spend more to meet my needs. I am open to doing so if needed. I think I am probably capable of building something if I really had to, but I would really really prefer to buy something pre-built. I would hopefully like something that should be good for another 10 years.

Thank you.

Solution
Thank you. The brand came up quite a lot on Amazon searches.

How quiet/noisy is yours? I can probably take some noise (I am taking quite a bit of noise with my 10 year old PC), but I thought I would just go all out with fanless, if at some extra cost, just so I am prevented from ever being able to complain about the noise. Are Beelinks reasonable in that regard?
Rarely do the fans ramp up enough for me to hear it. It is my HTPC, and sitting under my TV about 3 meters away.
Other than that...silent.

Watching a movie or music, silent.

A big Windows update, I can kinda hear it. But that is only a few minutes.

I bought mine with the intention of shucking the innards into a full casemod. But it is so well built, I'm leaving it as is.
May 25, 2021
Look into Beelink systems.

I have one (GTR-Pro), about a year old. Mine is not fanless, but tiny.

How quiet/noisy is yours? I can probably take some noise (I am taking quite a bit of noise with my 10 year old PC), but I thought I would just go all out with fanless, if at some extra cost, just so I am prevented from ever being able to complain about the noise. Are Beelinks reasonable in that regard?

USAFRet

Titan

Rarely do the fans ramp up enough for me to hear it. It is my HTPC, and sitting under my TV about 3 meters away.
Other than that...silent.

Watching a movie or music, silent.

A big Windows update, I can kinda hear it. But that is only a few minutes.

I bought mine with the intention of shucking the innards into a full casemod. But it is so well built, I'm leaving it as is.

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I use old Dell Optiplex machines for little silent boxes. You can normally find them on eBay for like $100 with cpu + ram included, you just need to add an SSD.

they come in a lot of different sizes but i like the USFF size (Ultra Small Form Factor).

something like an optiplex 980 or 1010 or 1100 or some similar model number, with any i5 CPU would be a huge upgrade to what you currently have, and the optiplex machines all run super silent.

Silent but not fanless. you sacrifice a lot for a fanless system. Too much in my view, and they are never stable. I’ve owned a few in my time and while they are fun to put together they never stay in use for long.