Oct 30, 2023
i recently upgraded from a 1070 to an 7800XT and i noticed this weird mouse corruption when transitioning into another shape, for a split second it turns into a red horizontal line, i thought i might have been traces from DDU, but then i upgrade from win 10 to 11 doing a clean installation and the glitch still there, enabling cursor shadows seems to make it happen more frequently but enabling pointer trail seems to get rid of the problem

so far i havent had that many problems with the card just 2 occations of the driver timeout message when starting the pc, and one crash when playing a game, that it actually turned one monitor black and the other green (no text), and the pc restarted by itself immediatly after that

what im trying to wonder if this is a hardware issue and if i should return the card before it escalates into something worse

Weird bug video
adlbvf.png

i tried posting on somebody else's old thread with the same problem but got told to start a new thread:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cursor-bug.3768564/

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you uninstall the Nvidia drivers before putting in the new card?

If not, I would run DDU in safe mode, maybe remove Nvidia & AMD drivers, boot back into normal mode and install Adrenalin and see if it helps

does your mouse use its own software?

Reactions: helper800
Oct 30, 2023
did you uninstall the Nvidia drivers before putting in the new card?

If not, I would run DDU in safe mode, maybe remove Nvidia & AMD drivers, boot back into normal mode and install Adrenalin and see if it helps

does your mouse use its own software?
i did used DDU, but then i did a clean reinstallation of windows 11, so i shouldnt have nvidia drivers leftovers and my mouse is g203 i used to have it a software installed on win10 but not on win 11, and i still get that bug, so the only thing that comes to my mind is the 7800xt, but im not sure if its a drivers problem or a hardware problem

Colif

Win 11 Master
i guess this is you
and I see you on reddit.
so 3 postswith the problem but they all you.

what monitor? have you perhaps tried a different cable?

Oct 30, 2023
i guess this is you
and I see you on reddit.
so 3 postswith the problem but they all you.

what monitor? have you perhaps tried a different cable?
yeah i tried a different cable and nothing, and yeah thats me ive been looking for an answer i think youve been on a similar thread before
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cursor-bug.3768564/
sadly changing the mouse color does nothing
the only way they wont appear is if i enable cursor trails
but do you think this is a hardware or driver issue, since the card is brand new, maybe its deffective, or the drivers idk

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it happen in safe mode? That was one of the questions I asked in that thread

go to settings/system/recovery
next to Advanced startup, click restart now
  1. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  2. choose troubleshoot
  3. choose advanced
  4. choose startup settings
  5. click the restart button
  6. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  7. Pc will restart and load safe mode
Cursor trails animation probably obscures the effect, I expect it still happens, you just can't see it.

only similarity I see is they both use AMD drivers, but link was an APU whereas you using a GPU.

What are specs of your PC? What monitor are you using?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023
does it happen in safe mode? That was one of the questions I asked in that thread

go to settings/system/recovery
next to Advanced startup, click restart now
  1. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  2. choose troubleshoot
  3. choose advanced
  4. choose startup settings
  5. click the restart button
  6. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  7. Pc will restart and load safe mode
Cursor trails animation probably obscures the effect, I expect it still happens, you just can't see it.

only similarity I see is they both use AMD drivers, but link was an APU whereas you using a GPU.

What are specs of your PC? What monitor are you using?
just checked safe mode ad it does not happen in safe mode
im using a ryzen 5700x, a b350 tomahawk mobo, the 7800xt and kingston fury KF432C16BB1K2/32

Colif

Win 11 Master
its unlikely to be a hardware problem. Since it doesn't happen in safe mode, it could be a driver.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

does mouse use G Hub?

Oct 30, 2023
its unlikely to be a hardware problem. Since it doesn't happen in safe mode, it could be a driver.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

does mouse use G Hub?
the mouse use ghub but i didnt installed in on windows 11, i had it on windows 10 but it was also showing the red line

Colif

Win 11 Master
so line appears on both monitors? if so, at least its unlikely to be both of them.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can youtake a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

I will see if anything obvious that might be to blame.

Oct 30, 2023
so line appears on both monitors? if so, at least its unlikely to be both of them.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can youtake a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

ill check into it when i return home im at work atm

Oct 30, 2023

i0ishp.png

Here you go, i think its weird because i had it on windows 10, then when i did a clean installation of win11 there it was again

Also did the clean boot thing, still shows the line

also found another thread with someone having the same thing
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/has-anyone-ever-seen-this-issue-with-the-cursor.3816675/

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023
Update: whenever i disable 1 monitor the line doesn't appear anymore doesnt matter which one
(maybe thats why i dont have the problem on safemode)
when both monitors are enabled is when it happens (it happens on both monitors) both monitors have the same 60hz as their default refresh rate and resolution (1080) so its no a problem of them having different rates and resolutions

Colif

Win 11 Master
This sounds familiar

So the Buggy Mouse Cursor with Dual Monitor Set up and an AMD ATI GPU is back?

After 4 years, it is back. It kind of looks like the very top of the mouse pointer duplicated multiple times below, to look like one vertical line with diagonal lines coming off it. This usually only occurs on one monitor at a time, with an ATI GPU.

There are many fixes that have been reported.

1. Enabling mouse pointer trails and setting to short (stops bug while this is enabled)
  2. Wiggling mouse back and forward between to displays rapidly
  3. changing the side your secondary monitor is on in 'display settings', then changing it back again.
  4. Changing your multi monitor set up from 'extend' to 'duplicate' and then back again.
  5. Wiggling the cursor in the top right of the far right monitor a bit.
  6. Rebooting your PC.

Is there a permanent fix? Please help here, and if you find something that helps in the thread, click on the 'me too' button, it really helps.

Thanks for your help. I will try to keep the OP updated with fixes, be it temporary or permanent.

<< this is Microsoft

its been a thing for 9 years at least.

I don't know if its a windows bug or an AMD one. I also don't have an answer for it as its been the same for at least 10 years so its never happened on a big enough scale for either of the 2 companies involved to fix it.

its not 1st time AMD drivers have broken cursor, this was a different problem from 10 years ago - https://superuser.com/questions/590...n-monitor-windows-7-64-bit-ati-radeon-hd-7870 or it could be the same problem... its hard to tell.

Oct 30, 2023
This sounds familiar

<< this is Microsoft

its been a thing for 9 years at least.

I don't know if its a windows bug or an AMD one. I also don't have an answer for it as its been the same for at least 10 years so its never happened on a big enough scale for either of the 2 companies involved to fix it.

its not 1st time AMD drivers have broken cursor, this was a different problem from 10 years ago - https://superuser.com/questions/590...n-monitor-windows-7-64-bit-ati-radeon-hd-7870 or it could be the same problem... its hard to tell.
apparently this has been an ongoing bug with amd at least, that is not recurrent enough for them to fix it, at least it looks like is not a hardware problem since enabling cursor trails gets rid of the problem, i might just gonna learn to live with it

Oct 30, 2023
another thing, one monitor uses hdmi and the other displayport, idk if this has anything to do with it,
though i tried disabling both monitors and when only one is active i dont see the glitch, i dont know if the combination of hdmi + display port is the problem, im looking to buy another monitor soon with display port and lets see if that fixes it

Colif

Win 11 Master
i only have one monitor so I can't really test it from my end to see if it happens to me.

its not hardware, people have replaced their cards and the new one still does it... I mean, it is hardware but only as it only happens on AMD cards. But it seems to either be drivers or hard baked.

I couldn't find anything about whether the cables will help. Could be.

Does it show on screenshots? or only on videos taken of the screen? if its on screenshots, its rendered by GPU. If its only on videos of the screen, it might be the screen.

Oct 30, 2023
used windows recorder this time, doesnt show in there, it was showing when I was recording but not on the recorded video
its weird that it does shows on both screens when theyre both enabled,
but if i only have 1 screen enabled it doesnt happen, whether its the hdmi or the displayport one
https://files.catbox.moe/f54cpe.mp4

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
It must be part of the signal sent to screen. GPU isn't showing it on screen - hence its not rendered - but both monitors display it. In the past I would blame the monitor or the cable. But that is unlikely. mouse must interfere with the display signal.

its outside my area of knowledge. I don't expect them to give you an answer but I would post about the problem on here - https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics-cards/bd-p/graphics-discussions as it will never be fixed if they aren't aware.

it might be the drivers as well. I did see its a problem that has been on & off in prior years. Updating drivers could make it stop. I know Adrenalin 23.11.1 was released recently, could try that.

have you tried another mouse?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023
It must be part of the signal sent to screen. GPU isn't showing it on screen - hence its not rendered - but both monitors display it. In the past I would blame the monitor or the cable. But that is unlikely. mouse must interfere with the display signal.

its outside my area of knowledge. I don't expect them to give you an answer but I would post about the problem on here - https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics-cards/bd-p/graphics-discussions as it will never be fixed if they aren't aware.

it might be the drivers as well. I did see its a problem that has been on & off in prior years. Updating drivers could make it stop. I know Adrenalin 23.11.1 was released recently, could try that.

have you tried another mouse?
not really, since i dont have other mouses and always buy the same one when the clicks start failing and i will look that link maybe they can help

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
Right now its a problem that neither has addressed as it doesn't happen often enough for someone to be able to identify its actual cause.

USB and GPU both controlled by same controller on motherboard, so it might be interference in the signal sent to screen.

its not hardware as it doesn't happen in safe mode (this isn't a 100% knock out as safe mode doesn't put as much stress on the hardware) or appear in screen shots, so GPU isn't rendering it. Its in a layer inbetween. Its a software bug but whose... AMD or Microsoft?