Question Curved or flat monitor

Ralphviskaal

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
I'm looking for a new monitor, but im not sure wether I should buy a curved or flat monitor. The main purpose is to use it for gaming, and the occasional schoolwork. I've narrowed it down to the AOC C24G1 and the AOC 24G2U. The C24G1 is curved and the 24G2U is flat but it has better specs, what should I do?
Thanks in advance!

I have the C24G1, as a casual FPS player it is pretty awesome - if you do play FPS primarily I would recommend the 24G2U as it has an IPS panel, there will be more image clarity in fast-motion action over the C24G1's VA panel.

Personally I prefer the high contrast of VA and quite satisfied with the C24G1, great for sim games most notably at night (or outer space) situations, FPS games it's slightly noticeable in high speed CQC action and using the Motion Blur Reduction (MBR) to compensate the image clarity can get fatiguing over long periods. Works great for short sessions, I can attest!

Reactions: Ralphviskaal
Jan 16, 2021
Curved can be very immersive if you are looking at wider monitors in the 32-49" range.
For 24", I think it best to opt for the better specs unit.
completly agree.... worked with 2 34 incht flat screens but now i have switch to an 49 curved hdr1000. Every day i am using my new set up i am much impressed and a bit "frustated" working with 2 34 in the office ;) . But up to 30 " i think the differences are not very big... so choose the one wirh the better specs.

Hi ralph , go for the best one you can afford and stand in front of one , pay particular attention to the edges of the screen.
A pal of mine has a 30" curved and the colours at the edges just dont look right . example the black bits look faded , just like when you walk past a television and look at the screen , you dont see true colours. DO NOT buy without viewing one first even if you dont get it from the same place you look at it.

Mar 16, 2021
I think curved monitors are a great advantage for large monitors.

I'm working on two 16:9 31.5 inch monitors, one flat, one curved and I like the curved much more as the edges are not that distorted.

However, to display a full page of an A4 text document properly I would prefer an even larger screen height. On 16:9 31.5 inch, I can easily show tow pages side by side and still have unused screen space on the sides, but it's squeezed on the top and bottom of the screen. I would love to zoom in to improve the readability of small fonts, but then a full page is cut of at the top and bottom.

Therefore, for text processing all the super wide monitors (21:9 or 32:9) are of no use. I would rather go for 16:9 with more than 32 inch or a large 16:10 if a decent mode is available.

Does anyone know if there are large 16:10 curved monitors or 16:9 with more than 32 inch?