Question Custom Build Keeps Freezing, but power stays on.

Dec 3, 2020
Hi,
I built a custom build for very cheep about 3 years ago. I ran into an issue a while back where video, peripherals, and rgb would completely freeze (on Windows). Upon pinging, it would come back offline. However, power wouldn't cut out, monitor would still stay on but as if frozen in time, and same with RGB. Not wanting to put in time and realizing it was a pretty crappy build that only cost me about 500$, I decided to just buy a laptop to use for school and gaming.

Over quarantine, I decided to turn it into a SFTP server to use as excess storage running (freeBSD). Although over kill for only storage, it has a Ryzen 5 2600, and 8gb of 2600 ram. I took out the graphics card because I wouldn't need it. Still, the build crashes or freezes or whatever you wanna call it.

I took my hardrive out for another build, so I am actively just using an external storage drive for it, but it wouldn't be a problem with the drive, because I used to use an internal drive, and it was the same issue.

Other relevant details is that my PSU is a 500w VGA, and a crappy motherboard I bought off of amazon for around 70$. IDK if any of this info is helpful, but don't hesitate to ask if you would like me to be specific with anything.

Cheers, Gary