Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2018
Custom build died recently. Diagnosed motherboard failure. Took it as an opportunity to upgrade cpu and GPU while I was at it.

Now the computer boots and is totally functional, but only recognizes my SSD. I did some troubleshooting with the original Seagate barracuda (ie different cords and ports) and it seemed like the old HDD was dead. Wouldn't even spin. So I ordered a new barracuda. Now I'm having the same issue with the new one.

What am I doing wrong? Please help! Thanks.

Sep 5, 2018
The SSD is SATA. Have tried to switch out SATA and power cables without any change. Drive does not spin. How do I test the power supply? I tried plugging the power cable into different ports on the PSU. I also just plugged the HDD into my old PSU without a SATA cable and turned it on, but the HDD didn't spin.

I guess it's possible I just got unlucky with two bad drives...?

Sep 25, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from justins06 : "HDD won't spin, not detected"

Did you upgrade your power supply? Have you tried just booting your computer with the HDD and no SSD? If you've tried two HDD's already and nothing happens. I think your trying to power too much with such a low wattage PSU. I am basing this just from what your specs are. 550w seems a little low for a rig like yours. To sum it up, I believe your PSU does not have enough power to power an additional hard drive. Try a different PSU with a higher Wattage. Or keep trying other hard drives? but I doubt the hard drives are faulty. Remove your SSD, connect a HDD by itself, and see if it boots up. If it does then its your PSU.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Do you have the hard drives on the same PSU SATA cable ? I had this issue a long time ago and by adding an additional line of SATA Power Cable and using just one SATA port from each cable it actually started reading the drives. Sometimes the PSU cant supply enough power down one cable to support any more than one device.

Let me know.

Sep 5, 2018

Nah, ive tried them in both arrangements and no change. I'm going to try a bigger power supply. Will let you know.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
If you do change Power Supplies, especially if wattage changes, then make sure you use the new power cables that come with the PSU and dont try and use the old cables (lesson learnt the hard way). Could be your current problem if you did change PSU's earlier. Changed from a 750W to a 1000W yesterday and had the exact same issue, none of my SATA drives showed up in BIOS so i switched out the old power cables and put in the new cables (both power and SATA) and they showed up immediately....

Sep 5, 2018

So I picked up a new power supply and a new HDD (this time Western Digital). For whatever reason, this new HDD works with the old power supply. Super weird. I guess I got really unlucky with a bad drive.

Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.