[SOLVED] Custom built computer no longer loads

Brent N

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
I have a custom built computer MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3. All the sudden the computer just shut down. It would no longer load anything. It would turn on for a few seconds then right back off. I replaced the PSU and it worked for a couple of days, then started the same thing would not stay on long enough to load anything, and turns off. I can not get any display out if it. I took out the Graphics card and connected it to the on board display and still nothing. I have reseated the memory cards to make sure the were properly in place. I connected a speaker onboard and just get continous long beeps. Sometimes it will stay on for about a minute and other times it would turn off as soon as I let go of the power button. It has a random amount of time it will stay on but still will not load anything. I have checked all wires to make sure the were connected correctly. I have also removed all the memory and installed one at a time to see if it would load anything, yet it still does not. I'm at a loss on this one. Can anyone help?

Solution
No CPU cooler at all? I'm a bit skeptical about that whole situation as it's not an embedded CPU. How was any airflow getting temps down at all? The CPU should have been shutting off almost instantly since day 1. If in some odd ways its lasted this long, it's likely the thermals finally had there way and baked the CPU. You've tried the usual. A board failure is usually far more likely, but this whole CPU situation is puzzling.

Brent N

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
Have you remved/reinstalled and cleaned the CPU cooler? Thermal compound may have dried out.
Odd thing about this one is it does not have a cooling fan or anything to cool the CPU. It worked fine for 3 years then just started the powering off at random times. Changed the PSU and now it powers on but may be only for 2-3 seconds or it may stay on for over 5 minutes, yet I get no display on the monitor. I have some extra memory that I know is good and have changed it. I have pulled the CPU out and cleaned it. Still have the same problem. I have connected a diagnostic board to the PCI but get nothing on it.

By the way this is a friends computer.

No CPU cooler at all? I'm a bit skeptical about that whole situation as it's not an embedded CPU. How was any airflow getting temps down at all? The CPU should have been shutting off almost instantly since day 1. If in some odd ways its lasted this long, it's likely the thermals finally had there way and baked the CPU. You've tried the usual. A board failure is usually far more likely, but this whole CPU situation is puzzling.

Solution

Brent N

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
6fp6rb.jpg

Here is a picture of the inside of the tower. On the right side you can see the 2 fans pulling air in and on the left there is 1 fan pushing the air out. When they dropped the computer off I said I see right now what is wrong with it. It does not have a cooling fan or anything on the CPU. When I pointed it out She said there never has been. I then asked how long she had it and said a little over 3 years, and it worked just fine until a couple of weeks ago. I personally have never seen a computer with out a fan on the CPU but here is the first.

So right now I have changed the RAM out connected a speaker to the mother board. I get long tones no display, keyboard lights do not light up or anything. As I said before it may stay on for 2 seconds or it may stay on for a few minutes just making the long tone repeatedly.

Any updates on this? Sorry for the delay? Could it be that your friend is just saying that by chance regarding the cooler? Possible they or someone else tried to remove and broke it and felt to embarrassed to mention it. I just don't see how any modern desktop CPU would run for more than a few seconds, let alone years, without a cooler. I wouldn't be surprised if an actual cooler would fix the problem.

Brent N

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
Any updates on this? Sorry for the delay? Could it be that your friend is just saying that by chance regarding the cooler? Possible they or someone else tried to remove and broke it and felt to embarrassed to mention it. I just don't see how any modern desktop CPU would run for more than a few seconds, let alone years, without a cooler. I wouldn't be surprised if an actual cooler would fix the problem.

I have not been able to figure anything our on this computer yet. The CPU is an
AMD FX-Series FX-4300 3.8 GHz 4 MB Cache Quad-Core CPU Processor FD4300WMW4MHK Socket AM3+

From what I am finding out, I am starting to believe it is the cpu that has overheated.

But correct me if I'm wrong, With out the cpu I will not get any post test and will not display the bios. So this could be the reason I am not getting any display to the monitors, or any error messages on my diagnositc board?

The FX series did run hot, though that is the entry level CPU if I recall. A CPU that's failed all together will not POST or display anything. One that's overheating from bad cooler mount, or no cooler in this case, should operate somewhat "normally" for a few seconds or minutes, depending on ambient temp, airflow, sitting in BIOS only, ect.

Brent N

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
The FX series did run hot, though that is the entry level CPU if I recall. A CPU that's failed all together will not POST or display anything. One that's overheating from bad cooler mount, or no cooler in this case, should operate somewhat "normally" for a few seconds or minutes, depending on ambient temp, airflow, sitting in BIOS only, ect.

With our being able to get into BIOS to tell what the temp is set for I am not able to tell if its getting to hot to shut down or anything. As it may turn on for 2-3 seconds, or it may turn on for several minutes but no display on anything other than just a long beep . So I'm wondering if changing the CPU would do anything, as its cheaper then the MOBO.

Brent N

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
@1LiquidPC Update: Got the new CPU in today changed it over added the heat sink and fan. Still same results. Long beeps no display or anything. Computer runs you can hear the hard drive spinning as normal and all fans come on. Still nothing.

You replaced the CPU itself? Same model? There were a few generations of FX, Bulldozer and Piledriver for example. Could be a BIOS update needed if it's a different generation. Otherwise, the board itself at this point if RAM has been tested 1 stick at a time, ect.

Brent N

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
You replaced the CPU itself? Same model? There were a few generations of FX, Bulldozer and Piledriver for example. Could be a BIOS update needed if it's a different generation. Otherwise, the board itself at this point if RAM has been tested 1 stick at a time, ect.

Yes replaced the CPU with the exact same model and all. I can not see any display on the monitor to see the bios, nothing shows up on the screen. So it looks like I will be changing the Mother Board.

Brent N

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
@1LiquidPC Lesson learned I think, don't mess with computers when its late and you had a long day.

So I got the new mobo in, installed it with no problem, got everything connected. Now the computer turns on stays on but no display no beeps or anything, I can hear the hard drive and the dvd player trying to load. I get no lights on the keyboard or mouse. I disconnected the power and pulled the cpu back out, when I pulled the heat sink and fan off the cpu came out with it. The lever to release the cpu stayed in the locked position. When I looked at the CPU there were 4 bent pins. I straightened them back out replaced the cpu still same thing happened, I tried the old cpu, tried switching the memory sticks and nothing seems to work. Could this have burned up the mobo or cpu? I have never had this happen before.

Hi again. Is motherboard the same make and model? Being first gen FX, as long as chipset and socket are correct, UEFI should be fine as it's first gen Bulldozer that you are using. If pins are straightened carefully and correctly, shouldn't be an issue. Happens with PGA format CPUs all the time, AMD and old Pentium 4 for example. Just did that myself when removing Noctua cooler on my 2700X a few weeks back. Cooler was stuck to CPU even after trying to wiggle free. Feels almost glued on, and pulls out the "locked" socket. Should just be able to reinstall without issue in most cases if pins are ok. I'm very doubtful the motherboard is damaged from this. Have you tried breadboard method/bare minimum hardware connected to find the fault? Completely different kit of RAM tried? Does the new motherboard have onboard video output on the rear IO shield? How long did you wait for first powerup after installing new motherboard? Could be just a very long post detecting all the hardware. When I installed my 3900X a few weeks back after removing 2700X, the first POST cycle took a minute or so. After that, things have been normal.

Brent N

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
Hi again. Is motherboard the same make and model? Being first gen FX, as long as chipset and socket are correct, UEFI should be fine as it's first gen Bulldozer that you are using. If pins are straightened carefully and correctly, shouldn't be an issue. Happens with PGA format CPUs all the time, AMD and old Pentium 4 for example. Just did that myself when removing Noctua cooler on my 2700X a few weeks back. Cooler was stuck to CPU even after trying to wiggle free. Feels almost glued on, and pulls out the "locked" socket. Should just be able to reinstall without issue in most cases if pins are ok. I'm very doubtful the motherboard is damaged from this. Have you tried breadboard method/bare minimum hardware connected to find the fault? Completely different kit of RAM tried? Does the new motherboard have onboard video output on the rear IO shield? How long did you wait for first powerup after installing new motherboard? Could be just a very long post detecting all the hardware. When I installed my 3900X a few weeks back after removing 2700X, the first POST cycle took a minute or so. After that, things have been normal.

@1LiquidPC Thanks for your help on this, I'm not sure what really happened but after reading your last post I went out and unplugged the second hdd and the dvd player keyboard and mouse, turned it on and waited for 7 minutes. Seen it was not working, then realized I had the old cpu in, I switched back to the new one and it booted up right off. Not really sure why it didn't work the first time. But all seems to be working correctly now.

Again a big THANK YOU.

That's great news :) All hardware now working correctly with remaining components plugged back in? Could have been something like a plug not quite in correctly somewhere, or re-seating the CPU got things going again. Hope all is well now, including proper CPU cooling. Glad to try and help.

Reactions: Brent N