Question Custom case build

Feb 4, 2020
It is looking like I may need to build my own case. The only one I can find that may fit my idea is the SilverStone SST-GD09B-USA But I am concerned with the limit room inside. I have the ability to go wider and deeper than this case if need be. I found some others that may work if I swap my PSU but then the price between the case and new PSU gets more than I want to spend. To recap, I want to case to fit in a gap 24"W X 20"D X 7"H.
My question is about build material.
I am thinking of primarily using a metal mesh from a big box store. I figure this will allow for maximum air flow. I do have some concerns about dust, but hopefully the amount of moving air will minimize this. I am not sure if i can get this in AL, or just steel but would it matter? I am thinking for supports and like printing parts out of PETG. I can print a mounting plate for a MATX board with standoffs already in BUT do I have to worry about grounding it then? I am not sure if one of the pins on the PSU acts as a ground for the board or if grounds to the case as well via the standoff screws. Might throw some wood on it as well just to look ok. Maybe black so it blends in.
So here are my questions from the rambling above:
1) Can I use any metal mesh or is AL better?
1a) Why or why not?
  1. Is the board grounded through the PSU connection or do I need to fabricate a ground of some sort?
  2. What else have I failed to consider here?

Is there a place where I can design a case and simulate air flow?

Simulate airflow? And case design? Nope. (Not that I know of) And a lot of that depends on fans and what their design is. It's actually a fairly complex simulation.

Build a case? Yes. Tinkercad.com + shapeways.com

You'll need to thread the mount holes yourself using a tap set. You'll want to investigate the bracket placement dimensions based on from the bottom of the motherboard.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=computer+case

Feb 4, 2020
I own a 3d printer and already have a mount plate design for my motherboard with standoffs integrated into it. I may use additional metal ones to raise the board further, depending what I end up with for a design.

I was thinking of a few different ways of putting this all together, which is why I asked about airflow simulation. If I plan on 3 120mm fans up front, can I make the entire front out of mesh, like screen door mesh? Not to attached stuff to, but as a way to maximize airflow.

Is there such a thing as too many holes? I was watching one video where the person was showing with his case open and exposed to the air, the GPU ran hotter than with the cover on. This was due to with the cover on there was more of a negative balance and more air moving through the case. Conversely the CPU ran hotter with the cover on, probably again due to air flow.

Another question unrelated to airflow.
I have a B450M-A/CSM board with a Ryzen 5 3600. I have to have a separate GPU and wireless/bluetooth PCIe card. The PICe card overlaps the GPU slightly. I am thinking of getting either PCIe riser or GPU riser to move the cards around to give the GPU more access to air. Do I have to worry about data transfer speeds with either? If i have do this, which would be better (less data loss) to do?

Feb 4, 2020
Am I overthinking heat? I am using this a streaming machine and retrogaming rig. I don't plan on pushing it hard. I have seen a lot of different designs (none I can copy for my needs unfortunately) and none of them the ventilation that I was thinking I may need.
As of right now I was not planning on using liquid cooling, mainly because I can't seem to find a set up that is affordable and allows me to have custom length fluid lines.
I am focusing on function over aesthetics to the point I am thinking PSU and radiator (if i use liquid cooling) outside of the case. That pulls 2 potential heat sources away from the board.

Still wondering about the risers for the PCIe card and/or GPU.