[SOLVED] Custom firmware on ISP router

losdavidos50

Reputable
Oct 15, 2017
Hello, I have TP-Link Archer MR200 V1 and there is installed a custom firmware and I cant downgrade/upgrade it from original TP-Link site, everytime it just shows:
Error: 4503
The uploaded file was not accepted.
Is there any possible way to get rid of the custom firmware?

Solution
That is a strange router moistly because it takes LTE sims. These type of routers tend to be very customized to one particular cell provider. It may run custom software just to support that ISP LTE radios not because they want to restrict your use.

It is a pretty basic router other than that. It only has 10/100 ports and very basic 802.11ac wifi.

Your best option is likely going to be to read the forum posts on sites like dd-wrt and openwrt on how to unbrick routers. You might be able to force a standard software image into the router using these recovery procedures. These guys get pretty extreme in their methods, like soldering console cables into the router motherboards. Since you have nothing to lose I guess it...

Ralston18

Titan
Did you buy the Archer via Orange Slovakia or are you renting from Orange Slovakia?

If you truly own the Archer then you should be able to upgrade the firmware.

However, that may be dependent on their policies and practices. You may need to ask them.

If you are only renting the Archer then it is very likely that the firmware is locked to prevent end-users/customers from changing it.

losdavidos50

Reputable
Oct 15, 2017
The router is really mine(paid by monthly bills for 2years incl. the tariff for the 4G Internet access). I no longer use this ISP and I moved on to another because its monthly data was only 300GB/month

The new ISP gave me a really <Mod Edit> piece of crap router....

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a strange router moistly because it takes LTE sims. These type of routers tend to be very customized to one particular cell provider. It may run custom software just to support that ISP LTE radios not because they want to restrict your use.

It is a pretty basic router other than that. It only has 10/100 ports and very basic 802.11ac wifi.

Your best option is likely going to be to read the forum posts on sites like dd-wrt and openwrt on how to unbrick routers. You might be able to force a standard software image into the router using these recovery procedures. These guys get pretty extreme in their methods, like soldering console cables into the router motherboards. Since you have nothing to lose I guess it doesn't hurt.

Be aware even if you succeed you will likely not be able to use the cell radios and only use this as very basic router. You could likely buy a used router for $20 that is much better.

Solution
Jan 2, 2020
LTE modem/routers are pretty normal these days. I have one that's completely unlocked, generic and works with all networks. Mine's Huawei, there are lots of alternatives though.

There's a good reason why you can't flash it, it's because the manufacturer doesn't want you to. It may be possible, but don't expect it to be simple. I did an ADSL one once, and it involved a bit of tinkering via some software or other, I forget now, it was a bit of a process but it worked.

It's also possible that, regardless of branding and firware, it may be locked to a particular network. You may be able to get generic firmware onto it and find that it's still network-locked, after which there may be another hack to change that. It won't be simple, basically you're hacking it against the manufacturer and supplier's wishes.

losdavidos50

Reputable
Oct 15, 2017
Thanks for help so far, if I will break it then whatever but I really would like to get it to stock firmware.
If you guys do still have some solution feel free to type a reply