[SOLVED] Custom PC (no display issues)

Jan 27, 2021
Hello,

I have all of the parts for my new PC with the exception of my GPU since GPU's are so hard to come by at the moment. I'm on the stockdrop notifications and whatnot, but still can't seem to land one. I'll be getting an RTX 3070 when I'm able. That said, I am recycling my old R9 280 graphics card just to get by until I get the new GPU.

The build that I put together today is listed below:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type​
Item​
Price​
CPU
Purchased For $300.00​
CPU Cooler
Purchased For $49.00​
Motherboard
$169.99 @ Amazon​
Memory
$81.97 @ Amazon​
Storage
$64.98 @ Amazon​
Storage
Purchased For $40.00​
Video Card
-​
Case
$55.00​
Power Supply
Purchased For $95.00​
Case Fan
$51.99 @ Newegg​
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total
$907.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-27 04:39 EST-0500​

The only difference is that the RAM is actually the 3600 CL18 variety instead of the 3200 CL16. For some reason PCPartPicker doesn't have the 3600 variety so I could not select it.

So with the MoBo being a B550, I loaded the latest MSI BIOS onto a flashdrive and utilized the Flashback button on the back so that I would then be able to use the Ryzen 5 5600x. I had not installed any components at this point...just plugged the CPU and MoBo power cables in and pressed the Flashback button. This ran through its process for a few minutes and the Flashback and USB lights shut off. I then powered down and proceeded to install the rest of the components.

Whenever I boot the PC it fires up just fine. I can see the MoBo lights progress from CPU, DRAM, VGA, and BOOT, and the light turns off for each one as it goes to the next. All of my RGB fans and RAM light up as they should. The PC fan on the Mugen kicks on. The GPU fans start up as well. All seems well, except that I do not get a display on my monitor. The monitor just gives me a "No Signal" message. I pulled the graphics card out and reinserted it into my old PC and that is where I am posting from (using the same GPU and the same monitor).

I was under the impression that my GPU would work on the new PC since I could at least see to get into BIOS and then I could install Windows and update the drivers from there, but I can't seem to get that far. I have the Windows installer loaded onto a different USB, but I cannot get a visual in order to start installing Windows. In searching whether my GPU should work or not, everything keeps saying that Windows should have the basic drivers to get you by until you update, but I don't have Windows yet, nor can I install it without seeing so I can follow the prompts.

Any suggestions or follow-up questions are welcome. Please help! Thanks!

Jan 27, 2021
Are you certain you have the correct input selected on your monitor?

I have two monitors plugged into my old computer (one HDMI and one DVI). I simply unplugged them from the back of my old PC when I pulled the GPU out and put them into the back of my new PC after seating the GPU.

Would I need to play with inputs for that?

Jan 27, 2021
Have you tried repeatedly pressing the Delete key when you power up?

I have not. I will try this later this evening when I can test again. I'm currently using my old PC throughout the day and I'll test out some stuff later tonight.

I'm going to pull the CMOS battery out to clear the MoBo settings. I may end up trying to reseat the CPU if that all fails.

Jan 27, 2021
Update:

I went ahead and tried a few things. I couldn't wait until this evening lol.

I pulled the PSU out and I removed the CMOS battery for about a minute before placing it back in. This did not seem to fix anything.

At some point I removed the USB that I used to flashback the BIOS, and I noticed that the BOOT light would stay lit. I rebooted the machine with the USB that I have the Windows installer on, and the BOOT light went off again. Either way, I still get no visual.

I plugged a keyboard in and attempted to press the F11 button to access the boot menu. I also tried F2 and Delete just trying to get into the BIOS in any way. I still just get a "no signal" message on the monitor.

I originally flashed back to the newest version from MSI, which has "(Beta Version)" in the name, so I flashed back to the one right before it just to try it out. No luck.
Did you rename and save the BIOS file to MSI.ROM as per page 48 of your Manual? To be clear, the thumb drive plugged into the Flash BIOS port when you press the Flash BIOS button should have one file on it called MSI.ROM.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021
Have you tried booting with just 1 stick of RAM in memory slot DIMMA2?
Yes, I have. I tried with 1 stick in DIMMA2 and 1 stick in DIMMA4 (both separately). Both times the machine booted up and it got past the DRAM light on the motherboard, so I presume it checked out. If there was an issue with either configuration I presume the motherboard DRAM light would have stayed on and it wouldn't have progressed, correct?

I have two monitors plugged into my old computer (one HDMI and one DVI). I simply unplugged them from the back of my old PC when I pulled the GPU out and put them into the back of my new PC after seating the GPU.

Would I need to play with inputs for that?
I am not clear from your reply, are you booting the new setup with 2 monitors (one HDMI and one DVI) plugged in at the same time, or just one at a time?

Jan 27, 2021
I am not clear from your reply, are you booting the new setup with 2 monitors (one HDMI and one DVI) plugged in at the same time, or just one at a time?
I have done both just trying things out, but mostly I have been working with just the HDMI. I can't say that I tried each one individually every step along the way, though, so I will start doing that.

Jan 27, 2021
I have not. I can give that a try.
I ended up pulling the speaker out of my old PC and putting it into my new PC (new one didn't come with one). I am getting 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps. Looking this up on MSI beep codes it appears that this references a monitor or GPU error. I am still able to place the GPU back into my old GPU and get it to working correctly, though, so could this mean that the PCIe slot could be bad ?

I would try the second PCIe slot, but in doing so I will be blocking all pin headers on the bottom of the motherboard, including the speaker header and the whole JFP1 section (front panel buttons and LEDs), so I wouldn't be able to boot the machine or hear any beeps on boot. I think that the only way to actually use a GPU on this bottom slot is to use the vertical mounting attachment, which I do not have.

DSzymborski

Titan
I ended up pulling the speaker out of my old PC and putting it into my new PC (new one didn't come with one). I am getting 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps. Looking this up on MSI beep codes it appears that this references a monitor or GPU error. I am still able to place the GPU back into my old GPU and get it to working correctly, though, so could this mean that the PCIe slot could be bad ?

I would try the second PCIe slot, but in doing so I will be blocking all pin headers on the bottom of the motherboard, including the speaker header and the whole JFP1 section (front panel buttons and LEDs), so I wouldn't be able to boot the machine or hear any beeps on boot. I think that the only way to actually use a GPU on this bottom slot is to use the vertical mounting attachment, which I do not have.

The idea isn't for long-term use but as a diagnostic. You don't need any of this to see if it boots in the bottom slot; just short the two power pins with a flat head screwdriver.

Jan 27, 2021
The idea isn't for long-term use but as a diagnostic. You don't need any of this to see if it boots in the bottom slot; just short the two power pins with a flat head screwdriver.
I was looking closer at the bottom PCIe slot and I'm not even sure that the GPU will fit in there. Even if I pull the mobo out I wouldn't be able to reach the power pins with the GPU plugged in.

The GPU is a good inch thick. The power pins are on the top row of the JFP1 set of pins, so coming in from underneath isn't an option and the top would be blocked by the MORTAR shroud.

You can zoom in on the first image here to see what I mean:
https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-b550m-mortar-wifi/p/N82E16813144327

Jan 27, 2021
I was looking closer at the bottom PCIe slot and I'm not even sure that the GPU will fit in there. Even if I pull the mobo out I wouldn't be able to reach the power pins with the GPU plugged in.

The GPU is a good inch thick. The power pins are on the top row of the JFP1 set of pins, so coming in from underneath isn't an option and the top would be blocked by the MORTAR shroud.

You can zoom in on the first image here to see what I mean:
https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-b550m-mortar-wifi/p/N82E16813144327
I'm getting some responses on MSI's forum stating that the 1 long beep and 2 short beeps is actually a RAM issue. I inferred monitor/GPU related from an online reference from 2012, but I now believe that it's outdated.

Either way, I went through and tested each RAM stick individually in each of the four RAM slots, and each time I got the 1 long beep with 2 short beeps. I have a set of DDR3 RAM that I was going to try, but I realized that I can't use DDR3 in a DDR4 slot, so that test is out.

I had the board out of the case earlier as well and I lined up the GPU with the second PCIe slot, and I can confirm that there's no way to plug it in and still access the power switch pins. The MORTAR shroud sticks up and between the GPU and the shroud, I don't think there's a way to get into the power pins to power it up. When I had the board out of the case I unseated everything and placed it all back in (CPU, RAM, GPU, power cables).

Jan 27, 2021
Looking at the motherboard manual I do see some text explaining that they recommend cards that use UEFI and that old GPUs will be detected and display a message:

"There is no GOP (Graphics Output protocol) support detected in this graphics card"

Now, I don't see this message as I get absolutely nothing on the monitor, but I looked up the R9 280 and I can see that it does use the legacy method and not UEFI. Apparently there were some versions of the card that could use both UEFI and legacy by toggling a button, but mine does not appear to have this feature.

Could this be the issue? My card is just not compatible with my motherboard given it uses a legacy method and not UEFI?

Looking at the motherboard manual I do see some text explaining that they recommend cards that use UEFI and that old GPUs will be detected and display a message:

"There is no GOP (Graphics Output protocol) support detected in this graphics card"

Now, I don't see this message as I get absolutely nothing on the monitor, but I looked up the R9 280 and I can see that it does use the legacy method and not UEFI. Apparently there were some versions of the card that could use both UEFI and legacy by toggling a button, but mine does not appear to have this feature.

Could this be the issue? My card is just not compatible with my motherboard given it uses a legacy method and not UEFI?
I suppose that's possible. If you could get your hands on a newer GPU that uses UEFI and try it in your motherboard, that would be good. It also possibly explains why your R9 280 works in your "old GPU" (I assume you meant "old CPU/PC"?).

Also, have your tried using just the DVI to see if you get the "There is no GOP (Graphics Output protocol) support detected in this graphics card" message?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS