[SOLVED] Custom Water Cooling

Solution
i like hard line for their aesthetics, but one thing about HL hit me, if there's an issue, ie i want to remove heatsink and re-apply the TIM paste, system has to be drained and hard line tubes dis-connected. Soft line i can push the heat far enough out of the way to clean it and re-apply

i will use hard line for the drain line going to the ball cock.

Only reason i asked about what case, every radiator from different mfgrs have different dimensions, ie no two 280mm rads are the same in external dimensions. My Fractal R6 had a linitation of 147mm in width that was hard to live with in the 280mm rads that were 38mm or less in thickness,. FInally found Alphacool had one.

With a PC desk, you've probably got a lot of freedom on dimensions...
Welcome to the world of spending more than you thought, no one understanding why, but somehow all being well worth it!

For a drain. I use one of THESE in my loop (EK-AF Ball Valve)

I'm a fan of hard line tubing myself. Is it for looks that you prefer soft tubing?

What fluid are you considering? Just making sure you've thought out the needed additives etc.

Is there a full mono block available for your motherboard? I'd go for one if there is.

Can you list your full specs just for fun?

banker

Respectable
May 21, 2016
I've built a custom pc desk.
My specs currently are a ryzen 1600x- planning for a upgrade when zen 2 comes out
Gtx 1070 SC
Asrock X370 Fatal1ty K4
16gb corsair 3200mhz
6tb Toshiba X300
I would use hard line but I'm very new to this and I'm sure if done right soft tubing could still look good.
I'm considering clear distilled water

i like hard line for their aesthetics, but one thing about HL hit me, if there's an issue, ie i want to remove heatsink and re-apply the TIM paste, system has to be drained and hard line tubes dis-connected. Soft line i can push the heat far enough out of the way to clean it and re-apply

i will use hard line for the drain line going to the ball cock.

Only reason i asked about what case, every radiator from different mfgrs have different dimensions, ie no two 280mm rads are the same in external dimensions. My Fractal R6 had a linitation of 147mm in width that was hard to live with in the 280mm rads that were 38mm or less in thickness,. FInally found Alphacool had one.

With a PC desk, you've probably got a lot of freedom on dimensions

as to using clear distilled water, you might want to take a look at what EKWB said in discouraging that

https://ekwb.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205235141-Antimicrobial-algae-protection-

there was a pretty decent 3 part blog post EKWB has up on liquid cooling, but for the life of me, my google fu isn't working.

UPDATE - just found part 3, parts 1 & 2 should be referenced in it, so you can go back from there - worth taking a look at

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/radiators-part-3-surface-thickness/

Solution

banker

Respectable
May 21, 2016
I added EK CryoFuel clear to my list and decided that I would stick with the 420 CE radiator. I also added the ball valve to the cart for draining, is there anything else I should know? Also are there any guides I should read or watch?

try youtube and search for liquid cooling pc desk or just water cooling or liquid cooling in general
everytime i search there it surprises me what turns up, but i've watched about over a dozen vids and i always catch a detail i hadn't thought about - sometimes on the 2nd or 3rd viewing (when i go back to look at something again)