[SOLVED] CX750M powering a 3080 GPU - cable help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradenthefirst

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
I have an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra graphics card, and want to power it with a CX750M PSU. From what I have read, that should be enough power, but I have a question with the PCIe power cables.

The 3080 model I have has the following listed for power requirements:
  • Minimum of a 750 Watt power supply.
  • Three available 8-pin or 6+2pin PCIe power dongles
  • Total Power Draw : 320 Watts
The CX750M only came with two PCIe cables in the packaging. Both of the cables have one 8 pin to go into the PSU, and two sets of 6+2 on the other end making a "double end", so I guess technically I could plug that into 4 ports, but not sure if that is what I should do.

Do I need 3 separate PCIe power cables running directly from my PSU to the GPU, or can I use one of the "double ends" to make it work?

Thank you! Want to start the build tomorrow but don't want to damage the new 3080.

Solution
From what I've heard, the CX-series PSUs from Corsair aren't very good quality-wise and should be avoided, especially for a GPU as expensive and power-hungry as yours.

If the money is available, I'd recommend a new Corsair RM850x as a replacement PSU. The RTX 3080 not only has a high power draw, it has high transient loads that can trip the internal circuitry of less robust PSUs. If anything, Nvidia was conservative this generation in it's PSU recommendations and should have recommended and 850 watt PSU for the 3080 and above.
From what I've heard, the CX-series PSUs from Corsair aren't very good quality-wise and should be avoided, especially for a GPU as expensive and power-hungry as yours.

If the money is available, I'd recommend a new Corsair RM850x as a replacement PSU. The RTX 3080 not only has a high power draw, it has high transient loads that can trip the internal circuitry of less robust PSUs. If anything, Nvidia was conservative this generation in it's PSU recommendations and should have recommended and 850 watt PSU for the 3080 and above.

Reactions: bradenthefirst
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.