News Cyberclunk? Cyberpunk 2077 Fails to Impress on Consoles

I think this brings up a good question; was really worth it to bring the game to previous-gen consoles, or maybe limit the game to the Pro consoles instead (and Xbox equivalent). While I know game companies want to reach out to the massive population still running the base consoles, I wonder if it is really worth it, to only give them a barely playable expereince.

Reactions: Kridian

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, when enough people demand things without thinking it through... I guess things like this happen.

What the heck were those folks on older hardware expecting exactly? Those consoles are around 7 years old...

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I think this brings up a good question; was really worth it to bring the game to previous-gen consoles, or maybe limit the game to the Pro consoles instead (and Xbox equivalent). While I know game companies want to reach out to the massive population still running the base consoles, I wonder if it is really worth it, to only give them a barely playable expereince.
I personally believe they should have left it to PC and next-gen consoles, but with the inability to buy next gen consoles or GPUs, it would have really hurt their sales, especially if they wanted to get the game out for the holidays. So I support it being on old hardware. But man, can you imagine how much more polished and efficient the game would have been if they didn't have to support such old hardware?

Reactions: bigdragon

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I think this brings up a good question; was really worth it to bring the game to previous-gen consoles, or maybe limit the game to the Pro consoles instead (and Xbox equivalent).
I'm pretty sure Sony and MS required all games released needed to support the base models of the consoles, so there couldn't be a PS4 Pro only game.

Nintendo did this.
for some games they required the NEW 3ds.

its not the best choice, but better to do that than release a gaem thats actually bad visually or performance based.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I expected the performance on PS4 and XBO to be terrible. Those consoles are obsolete and have been for years. CDPR should have focused on the PS5 and XBS, but those are getting scalped just as bad as GPUs. Looks like a no-win situation to me. I'm sure Cyberpunk will eventually be great -- it's just going to take months/years just like Witcher 3 did.

Nintendo did this.
for some games they required the NEW 3ds.

its not the best choice, but better to do that than release a gaem thats actually bad visually or performance based.
Yes, Nintendo did that. Yes, I was irritated about it, skipped those games, and didn't upgrade my 3DS. Nintendo absolutely proved that having games exclusive to a mid-cycle console refresh was a bad idea. Just release a successor console.

When you see a PC pre-launch performance review on which todays top hardware is only good enough for the game, it kinda makes sense the game in question will play pretty poorly on PS4 and XBO.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Yes but it doesn’t even run on the Xbox one you get so far into it and it just crashes every time you start it up

I kept telling my son not to buy until he had a new Xbox probably by next year but he never listens to me he said it’s cross compatible and now it doesn’t even work

Yes but it doesn’t even run on the Xbox one you get so far into it and it just crashes every time you start it up

I kept telling my son not to buy until he had a new Xbox probably by next year but he never listens to me he said it’s cross compatible and now it doesn’t even work

Perhaps with time developers can make it work a bit better, or in your case to at least make it start properly.

While it's true that people with seven year old hardware shouldn't expect much. CD Projekt chose to release the game for those consoles. If they couldn't design the game to lower graphics settings enough for reasonable gameplay. They shouldn't have released it for those consoles. Rather than letting a lot of people waste money on something non-playable.

A major point of using a console instead of a PC for gaming is that you don't have to worry about specs. A game released for that console should actually work right on that console. Sort of reminds me of Doom on the SNES. That's my only frame of reference since I switched to PC gaming in the mid 90's.:p