News Cyberpunk 2077 Plays Surprisingly Well on Stadia, But It’s No PC

Dec 10, 2020
I bought CyberPunk on both my PC (an AMD 3700x with 2080 Super) and for Stadia. I'm able to get 60fps on my PC at 1440p with ray tracing on if (and ONLY if) I turn on DLSS performance mode, which basically means it's rendering at probably 900p or so and then using AI upscaling to get to 1440p. It's good, but the resolution is definitely not what I was hoping for, especially since the 2080s was the flagship for the product until they announced the mythical 3080 and 3090.

Here's the thing, though. Even though right now, my PC looks better than Stadia, that could change. With all the Big Navi AMD cards coming out, I'm sure CDPR will add ray tracing to non-nVidia cards now that Vulkan supports ray tracing, and hopefully, Google will upgrade the Stadia GPUs to at least comparable to what a 3080 can do so they are on-par with GeForce Now. The same game will suddenly look significantly better on a 4k TV than my PC version currently looks, and maybe the FPS mode could even mean 120fps vs 60fps at 4k with raytracing off or on.

The alternative is for me to ALREADY upgrade the GPU I just bought last year. For $700. And yes, the 3080 sounds amazing, but it's another $700-$1000 even if I could find one (minus whatever I could eBay my 2080s for, which is going down steadily now that the 3060 has been announced!). The PC upgrade game just isn't a whole lot of fun.

BTW I've been playing Stadia on the Chromecast with Google TV and sideloading the APK and it's SO much better than the Chromecast Ultra experience (except for the Stadia home screen, which doesn't quite fit right). Best of all I can use my XBox Elite controller with Stadia games this way and 4k mode. Even though the Stadia controller is a TINY bit less latency than the Elite over Bluetooth, the comfort and the quality of the Elite 2 are just unmatchable, and latency doesn't seem to affect Cyberpunk in particular that much.