[SOLVED] D drive dissapeared. All my data seems lost.

Solution
I don't think Windows had any updates. At some stage today it just crashed and had to reset. I feel like this may be something to do with my laptop's age and worn out status to be honest. I didn't loose anything major, but I'd rather restore the drive if I can.

I was just chilling on youtube after a long night last night when my computer just died and reset. Then I noticed a lot of my games were missing, and realized my D drive was just gone. It's possible the drive could've died at an earlier stage.
Depends on how deep into investigation you want to go.

Open it up.
Verify the cables and connections.

Remove the drive.
Use a USB-SATA dock, connected to another PC or laptop.
See if it shows up.
Jun 26, 2021
I don't think Windows had any updates. At some stage today it just crashed and had to reset. I feel like this may be something to do with my laptop's age and worn out status to be honest. I didn't loose anything major, but I'd rather restore the drive if I can.

I was just chilling on youtube after a long night last night when my computer just died and reset. Then I noticed a lot of my games were missing, and realized my D drive was just gone. It's possible the drive could've died at an earlier stage.

Reactions: DRagor

USAFRet

Titan

Depends on how deep into investigation you want to go.

Open it up.
Verify the cables and connections.

Remove the drive.
Use a USB-SATA dock, connected to another PC or laptop.
See if it shows up.

Solution
Jun 26, 2021
Is the most efficient method to just take it to a repair store? Should I just get a new laptop? I'm not exactly computer savy, and honestly, this is a pretty great time in my life to get a new laptop anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
Is the most efficient method to just take it to a repair store? Should I just get a new laptop? I'm not exactly computer savy, and honestly, this is a pretty great time in my life to get a new laptop anyway.
If it were me, I'd do the steps above.
It may be just a loose cable. $0.

Taking it to a shop may just result in - "Yep, the drive is dead. That will be $50 for the diagnostics."

It is almost certainly not the whole laptop that is at fault.
But if you want a new one, go for it.

Jun 26, 2021
Uhh. I don't know what to say. The drive's just back. I shut it down for 10 minutes, and it just.. returned I guess?

I think I'm going to get a new computer soon one way or another, I've been using this poor guy a bit too much for far too long now. I appreciate the responses and thanks for the help.

USAFRet

Titan
Uhh. I don't know what to say. The drive's just back. I shut it down for 10 minutes, and it just.. returned I guess?

I think I'm going to get a new computer soon one way or another, I've been using this poor guy a bit too much for far too long now. I appreciate the responses and thanks for the help.
And that points to a slightly loose cable.

Time to start a good data backup.

Jul 4, 2021

Hey I am having a similar problem. Did you do anything or it just automatically came back after restarting.