Question "d3d11.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)" when playing Genshin Impact ?

Jan 25, 2024
Hello! I have been having this issue since about April 2022, and as far as I know I've tried everything on the planet to fix this issue. It'd take a little too long to go into detail of everything I've done, but some basic things I have done are:
  • Reinstalling Windows,
  • Deleting the game,
  • Repairing files,
  • Opening in Administrator,
  • Rolling back drivers,
  • Updating drivers, ect.

There is another post on here that is similar to my case, but I didn't quite understand the solution. Basically, what happens is the game runs normally for maybe 5-20 minutes. And then it just freezes. Nothing else, only audio whilst the screen is stuck frozen in place. I suspect it may be a GPU issue, and that I should get a new one, but I want to make sure before buying one.

My computer should be able to run it, it just stopped running one day after years of working. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Besides updating drivers, did you try updating your DirectX, Visual Studio C++, and Net Framework files? Those are all Resdist files that work together.

Also, if it does end up being a bad GPU, if you get a new one, MAKE SURE you completely uninstall the old driver with DDU in Safe Mode before installing the one for the new GPU. Otherwise you can get the hardware ID of the old GPU that's left behind causing problems.

BTW, these are things that should be done BEFORE doing something as drastic as reinstalling the OS, which is rarely needed in cases like this. Nearly every time a d3d error shows up, it's just a resdist file that needs reinstalling or updating, and it often pertains to Dx itself.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024
Besides updating drivers, did you try updating your DirectX, Visual Studio C++, and Net Framework files? Those are all Resdist files that work together.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have already updated DirectX, but I couldn't figure out how to update my NET files, I did update my Visual Studio though. It worked but only briefly for about 5 minutes.

Jan 25, 2024
Make sure you get and install both the 32 bit than the 64 bit in that order of the 2015 redistribution of the Visual Studio C++.
Hello, I was unable to find a 32 bit version of the 2015 Visual Studio C++. I also tried installing NET but it said there was not enough memory available, when I was only using 39% by checking in Task Manager.

I don't know if it helps either, but a few weeks before the game stopped working my power went out while I was using my computer during a thunderstorm, which could have fried something such as my GPU. But this is the only game that acts up.

...I couldn't figure out how to update my NET files...

It's pretty easy really, you can check what version of NET Framework you have installed by looking at the update history in Windows Update or Programs and Features. If they don't look up to date you can get the latest or any you've missed here...

The current version is 4.8

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet-framework

Lastly, I don't recommend using your PC during thunderstorms, but if you must, at least plug it into a good surge protector and use a PSU that has good OV, OC protection (over volt, over current). Both of which will give you a MUCH better chance of the system being shut down BEFORE damage happens.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS