[SOLVED] Daisy chaining case fans AND cpu fan?

Dowglaslim

Reputable
Jul 19, 2019
Hi!

I'm building a PC and the motherboard is an MSI B560M PRO-VDH, which has only one RGB 12V connector (the other is the 5V aRGB). I purchased four Scythe Kaze Flex 140mm RGB fans and a Deepcool Gammaxx GTE V2 RGB tower cooler CPU. Also, I bought a PWM Arctic HUB (with 10 fans input).

The PWM cables from the case fans will all be connected to the HUB for power and speed control. But my question is: how to connect all the RGB cables if I only have one header on the motherboard and I don't have an RGB HUB or a splitter?

I just bought an RGB extender cable (with two female ends and adapters to turn it into a male).

I thought about the following: connect all the case fans to each other (daisy chain) and, using the extender, connect this entire "network" to the motherboard RGB header.

But I have the following question: Can I also daisy chain the CPU cooler fan's RGB cable with the case's fans' RGB cables? (the CPU cooler PWM cable goes to the "CPU_FAN" header, as usual)

limitations

Some data for reference:

1. The motherboard's RGB header supports up to 2 meters of 5050 LED strips, with a maximum of 3 Amps.
  2. The RGB amperage of each of the case fans is 0.2 Amps.
  3. Processor Cooler amperage is 0.14 A (I couldn't find the information on the fan current and the RGB separately)
Thanks in advance.

Solution

Dowglaslim

Reputable
Jul 19, 2019
You could look into an RGB hub, similar to the one Coolermaster make. 4 ports x 3way splitter of each port = 12 devices/fans. If the pinout on the RGB devices are the same, you can have a total of 3 off of one header. I state 3 since Coolermaster were the first among the brands to come out with a splitter. You can find other branded higher count splitters but they aren't reliable.
You could look into an RGB hub, similar to the one Coolermaster make. 4 ports x 3way splitter of each port = 12 devices/fans. If the pinout on the RGB devices are the same, you can have a total of 3 off of one header. I state 3 since Coolermaster were the first among the brands to come out with a splitter. You can find other branded higher count splitters but they aren't reliable.

Thanks for the answer.
Unfortunately, I cannot purchase a hub and splitters at the moment (they are not sold in stores in my city and, if I buy online, they will take several days to arrive).
Could the possibility I mentioned work? (connect CPU cooler and case fans in a single RGB daisy chain)

Lutfij

Titan
Last edited:
Reactions: Dowglaslim
Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
As said above, do the math. But pay attention to the limit. You know that 4 fans' lights will consume up to 0.8 A. Add the light in the CPU cooler at LIKELY around the same, and that's 1.0 A, MAYBE slightly more. The limit on the header is 3.0 A = plenty of extra capacity. No problem with your daisy-chain plan. Others may have beeen confused because the curent limit for a FAN MOTOR header usually is 1.0 A, but you correctly understand that the LIGHTS are a different circuit from a different header.

Reactions: Dowglaslim