Question Damage because of not wearing antistatic wristband?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Hey guys,

I assembled my PC (i7 10700k, rtx 2070 super, win 10, MSI mpg z490 gaming plus, 32 GB ram, dark rock pro 4 cooler) and switched the parts often with other parts, like another cooler and stuff. I never wore an anti static wristband and never earthed myself besides touching the heating a few times. Now I hear a weird noise of my gpu, which was not there when i first tested the system. Could i have damaged my system? Otherwise it runs ok , altough the cpu gets very hot, 75 in most games (peak) averaging 65-75. When downloading stuff often 60 degrees. Idle mostly 45 degrees. I just bought the system new, should i replace all the stuff?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Hey guys,

I assembled my PC (i7 10700k, rtx 2070 super, win 10, MSI mpg z490 gaming plus, 32 GB ram, dark rock pro 4 cooler) and switched the parts often with other parts, like another cooler and stuff. I never wore an anti static wristband and never earthed myself besides touching the heating a few times. Now I hear a weird noise of my gpu, which was not there when i first tested the system. Could i have damaged my system? Otherwise it runs ok , altough the cpu gets very hot, 75 in most games (peak) averaging 65-75. When downloading stuff often 60 degrees. Idle mostly 45 degrees. I just bought the system new, should i replace all the stuff?
75 Degree is fine.
There is a 0.01 Chance of you destroying the components with static. Even if you rub your hands on carpet, there are low chances of destroying it with static.

Don't replace all the stuff. It will be a waste of money.

As for the GPU noise, check if something is touching the GPU fan.

Agree with the other guys. Maybe I should, but I’m a computer tech and never use an anti static wristband. I sometimes ground myself to the case if I’m going to be handling boards or something like that. 75 on s as gpu isn’t bad. As they said above, make sure a wire isn’t hitting a fan or something.

Ok but is it fine if i wipe off the thermal paste off the CPU with a microfiber cleaning cloth?
I'm against using them because:
  • They tend to hoard static charge
  • The fibers may cling to the small components, potentially ripping them off if you're not careful
  • The cloth likely isn't as clean as you think, so it'll leave dust or other debris around
I use coffee filters. They're lint free and do the job well enough.

Reactions: Karadjgne

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
PC Noise of Steve (soundcloud.com)
PCNoise2 of Steve

Ok heres 2 Audio files of the weird noise. I was holding my cam at the back of the case to the fan and then to the GPU.
It sounds like a cricket, and I really think its coming from the GPU.

And then theres another weird noise, like a constant clicking.
Could that be my HDD writing?
But I dont use the stuff on my HDD anymore, I have the OSS on SSD1 and Games on SSD2 so its weird that its always making noise. Could that be a hint of a faulty HDD? Its so annoying, but not as much annoying as the weird cricket sound from my GPU.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
PC Noise of Steve (soundcloud.com)
PCNoise2 of Steve

Ok heres 2 Audio files of the weird noise. I was holding my cam at the back of the case to the fan and then to the GPU.
It sounds like a cricket, and I really think its coming from the GPU.

And then theres another weird noise, like a constant clicking.
Could that be my HDD writing?
But I dont use the stuff on my HDD anymore, I have the OSS on SSD1 and Games on SSD2 so its weird that its always making noise. Could that be a hint of a faulty HDD? Its so annoying, but not as much annoying as the weird cricket sound from my GPU.
This track was not found. Maybe it has been removed

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Ok sorry it was set to private Now it should work: (Cricket zirpping i think from the GPU, and weird clicking noise maybe my HDD?)

View: https://soundcloud.com/talkamania/pcnoisetwo

And altough I got a new cooler my CPU stays at 50 degrees is that normal? Only while writing this. Just switched my cooler :(
It sounds like either something is interfering with the fans or bad bearing.

Are you sure that this is coming from the GPU?

You can also unplug the HDD since it could be a possible source of this weird noise, and try to unplug all your chassis fans

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok so I looked again I think the weird noise is definitly coming from the gpu which I just bought last year. And now?

And the hdd makes 2 following clicking noises every 2 seconds, does that mean its lifecycle ends?

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
The bearing is the part that makes the fan blades spins.

HDD clicking is a sign of failing.

Certain RPMs can cause a fan noise, but yours seems like a chassis vibration.

As mentioned before, unplug all the fans along with the HDD and check if the noise persists. I remember one time when I started to hear a coil whine like noise and I was 99% sure it was coming from the GPU, I then disconnected the HDD and the noise went away.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
The bearing is the part that makes the fan blades spins.

HDD clicking is a sign of failing.

Certain RPMs can cause a fan noise, but yours seems like a chassis vibration.

As mentioned before, unplug all the fans along with the HDD and check if the noise persists. I remember one time when I started to hear a coil whine like noise and I was 99% sure it was coming from the GPU, I then disconnected the HDD and the noise went away.
Ok will do but the sound you can hear one post above you is definitly from the gpu. Because if I start MSI afterburner with a fan curve for the GPU the sound vanishes.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What hdd and how was windows installed. If it's a Seagate, they use head parking when the hdd is in an unused state, which can often click when it cycles. If windows was installed with the hdd hooked up, windows will include the hdd as part of library/driver/inf searches, and not treat it as pure storage, so it will constantly get cycled. For best results, Windows should only be installed when Only the C drive is actually connected, any and all other drives need to be disconnected.

And whether or not the drive shuts down during sleep is determined by the power settings, defaults (on my pc) to 20 minutes active after sleep, in balanced mode, with never sleeps for performance.