[SOLVED] Damaged my 8700K PCB/top substrate, please advise!

weztmarch

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
I delidded my 8700K several months ago and relidded it with glue. I damaged it today opening it back up when I took a chunk out of the substrate/PCB in the corner beneath the IHS. It is working as of this moment. I am using it to type this up, however do you think it will fail on me soon? I hooked everything up and voltage + temps are in check under load and normal operation so far. Nothing has crashed yet... I'm worried about longevity though obviously. How durable is the substrate on top of the CPU? I didn't damage the package or cores or anything like that, just took a tiny chunk out of the PCB. Can't post pics right now because I freaked out and wanted to try testing it out asap.

I will post some photos if necessary, but I'd prefer not to take it apart again. Just need to get an idea if it will continue to work since it is working for now?

Solution
if there were no obvious exposed circuit runs/traces, or little tiny surface capacitors shaved off, and merely just a divot in the green CPB, I'd not lose sleep over it....especially when it is working.

weztmarch

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
so I opened it back up and I can see a little bit of Orange what appears to be copper I covered it up with clear nail polish but it looks like I just took the surface green off.

Your best option is to stop messing with it.
If its working, thats the best its going to get, constantly checking it and removing the lid again is just going to increase chance of permanent damage with zero chance for improving the situation.

Why are you re-lidding and de-lidding again anyway?

weztmarch

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
Actually thermals have been much improved by cleaning the glue off the PCB and reseating the IHS. It looks very clean now. I think the damage is mostly cosmetic. I appreciate the input, young man 💩

Edit: To answer your question I was checking the liquid metal TIM application. My idle temps seemed slightly elevated on this particular CPU, but I think it's just the overclock coupled with a Gigabyte motherboard's voltages & turbo LLC. I'm not a big fan of the board. I don't think I'll be buying Gigabyte again, but that's a story for another time :cautious:

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd advise against using glue, if that's exactly what you used. Glue doesn't do well at those kinds of temps. If you do the delid again, use high temp black rtv silicon, it's what's used to make gaskets on heads in engines and looks extremely similar to the black gunk Intel uses. It's also easily cleaned before it fully cures. The plus side, it's rubberized so is easily cut during removal and requires very little force. Helps stop the chunks...