Dark rock 3 vs dark rock pro 3

Solution
The cooling performance between the two is minimal (2-5C) on a 95W TDP CPU for example. I have the Dark Rock Pro 3 and it performs very well and is very quiet. The difference is that with the Pro 3 you have much higher thermal headroom (the heatsink can hold much more heat before it saturates). This is useful if you do CPU computational tasks over long periods of time (like I sometimes do). So pick the one that best suits your needs and space. You also won't see the RAM (you also need low profile RAM) with the PRO 3 version.
Also I think the price difference between the two is minimal so that is why I went with the better performing Dark Rock Pro 3.

P.S. I installed it outside the case on the motherboard and then put the whole thing...
The cooling performance between the two is minimal (2-5C) on a 95W TDP CPU for example. I have the Dark Rock Pro 3 and it performs very well and is very quiet. The difference is that with the Pro 3 you have much higher thermal headroom (the heatsink can hold much more heat before it saturates). This is useful if you do CPU computational tasks over long periods of time (like I sometimes do). So pick the one that best suits your needs and space. You also won't see the RAM (you also need low profile RAM) with the PRO 3 version.
Also I think the price difference between the two is minimal so that is why I went with the better performing Dark Rock Pro 3.

P.S. I installed it outside the case on the motherboard and then put the whole thing in the case.

Solution

Ty Moore

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

Well one thing i heard about the dark rock 3 is that its quieter then the pro version. And also if this information makes any difference i have an i5 6600k overclocked to 4.2 ghz.

Both cpu coolers will handle an OCed i5 6600K really well. I have the Dark Rock Pro on my i7 6700K OCed to 4.6ghz (1.3-1.344 v max- depending on the case (with offset voltage OC). I have a max temp of 74c on the cores after prolonged stress testing with Aida64.