[SOLVED] Dark rock pro 2 vs. Arctic freezer 34 esports duo

Jan 1, 2021
Hey guys, i need some help deciding,
My corsair h100i v2 is on its last breaths, and right now i have option to pick up either Dark Rock Pro 2 (second hand) for 30€ or AC freezer 34 esports duo for 35€ new.
Im saving money to buy NZXT x63 and anything over 40€ is too expensive atm for me.

my specs:
I5 4670k (@ stock, corsair wont have no OC)
XFX RX 580
16gb ddr3

i need something that will allow me to OC my cpu

Solution
Both are fine. The dark rock pro 2 MIGHT have memory clearance issues since it's a much older design and I do not think it was offset back then so depending on whether your memory has tall heat spreaders or not, it could have clearance issues.

The Freezer 34 eSports duo probably doesn't have clearance issues since it's a single finstack cooler, and it's performance is within about three degrees of the DRP4, so it probably performs just about on par with the DRP2 or close enough to not matter.

Realistically, at stock non-overclocked configurations there is really no reason to need anything more than the eSports duo 34, and since it's new you at least have some assurance that the fans likely have a good deal of life left in them which...
Both are fine. The dark rock pro 2 MIGHT have memory clearance issues since it's a much older design and I do not think it was offset back then so depending on whether your memory has tall heat spreaders or not, it could have clearance issues.

The Freezer 34 eSports duo probably doesn't have clearance issues since it's a single finstack cooler, and it's performance is within about three degrees of the DRP4, so it probably performs just about on par with the DRP2 or close enough to not matter.

Realistically, at stock non-overclocked configurations there is really no reason to need anything more than the eSports duo 34, and since it's new you at least have some assurance that the fans likely have a good deal of life left in them which you don't have with the Dark rock pro 2 that is likely about 8 years old now.

If you are wanting to overclock, and if there are no clearance issues, I would likely recommend the DRP2 because with it's two finstacks there is a lot more surface area for heat transfer, but again it's probably rather old and you're rolling the dice on the idea that neither of the fans are going to fail before you replace it. Might be worth the risk, but might not.

Reactions: IBaxstarI
Solution
Jan 1, 2021

Realistically, at stock non-overclocked configurations there is really no reason to need anything more than the eSports duo 34, and since it's new you at least have some assurance that the fans likely have a good deal of life left in them which you don't have with the Dark rock pro 2 that is likely about 8 years old now.

If you are wanting to overclock, and if there are no clearance issues, I would likely recommend the DRP2 because with it's two finstacks there is a lot more surface area for heat transfer, but again it's probably rather old and you're rolling the dice on the idea that neither of the fans are going to fail before you replace it. Might be worth the risk, but might not.
Thank you very much for quick response 😊