'Dark Souls III' Is Still Tough, Yet Somewhat Easier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarguhn

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
I'm betting there's a day-one patch that will increase the difficulty to "normal" levels for the big audience. They've toned it down for the reviewers so they could complete the whole game in a normal timeframe. Mark my words :)

Sarguhn

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Official release date for english versions is 12th of april. The english versions you see now are early editions given out, or the japanese xbox one version which can be altered to show english texts.

I'm just sayin'. I wouldn't be suprised if there would be a patch :)

davethejackal

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
RE: "Easier". Do you realise that the review copy of the game is deliberately easier to allow reviewers to finish a full play through? Release day version will be patched to be harder.

davethejackal

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Im staying on DS1, Ill get DS2 and DS3 someday but Im in no rush.

The look more like cheap death hack and slashes rather than a interestingly hard game.

On the surface maybe but then you're probably missing half of the game both in terms of nuance and even complete areas of the game which are hard to find.

This is sort of what I was thinking. When Demon's Souls first came out, you thought the archstones were miles apart, but they really weren't. Once you got the hang of the worlds, you work through it pretty fast. Now that many of us have played these games for years and are accustomed to not only the difficulty but also the playstyles, I'm wondering how many just think it's easier simply because it doesn't challenge us the way it used to. Did the difficulty actually go down, or did (y)our ability and competency go up?

Personally I hope the combat gets back more like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls I. I wasn't a fan of what they did in Bloodborne. Seemed they somewhat hopped on the action RPG bandwagon a little by making it more speed hack-n-slash. I much prefer the more cerebral, methodical combat of the first two games.

The community's just gotten better over time for the most part. If you're brand spanking new to it, its a really rough ride at first.

I agree about jumping into Dark Souls right at release. This is one of those few franchises where its great to be part of the initial rush. I enjoyed that a lot with Witcher 3 and its reddit page. Everyone came together as a community to help each other either with the game, technical issues, etc.

Fromsoft's done screwed some of that up though. There will be hundreds of thousands of day 1 players who will have already watched full playthroughs. That diminishes the whole experience, not just for those who watched, but also those who were looking for that truly blind playthrough experience. You will encounter monster builds earlier, having known where everything is, what to use, what works best, etc. It is just a game, but its a rare breed, so I was a bit annoyed by that.

Thank you Rexly, for the lack of spoilers. It's been a chore keeping youtube videos that contain spoilers in the thumbnails and titles off my landing page lol.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
I'm betting there's a day-one patch that will increase the difficulty to "normal" levels for the big audience. They've toned it down for the reviewers so they could complete the whole game in a normal timeframe. Mark my words :)
Here's to hoping.

Loksfox

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

I doubt it, they actually nerfed a lot of dark souls 2 instead of making it harder, it was a stupid decision imo

Status
Not open for further replies.