Das Keyboard 4 for Pre-orders With Cherry MX Blue, Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess they are nice looking for a keyboard, but someone needs to tell these people mechanical keyboards no longer cost close to $200.I do like the volume control on the keyboard. It's very convenient when you're in-game.

Sep 22, 2013
No backlight for $170???
Precisely what I was thinking.
Yeah... my G710+ smokes this and I picked it up for $139... at Bestbuy.Corsair makes some attractive options with various Cherry switches available for each model for significantly less.No programmable "extra" buttons, no wrist pad/rest, no backlighting....Why would I want this?

PrvtChurch

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
No backlight for $170???
Precisely what I was thinking.
Yeah... my G710+ smokes this and I picked it up for $139... at Bestbuy.Corsair makes some attractive options with various Cherry switches available for each model for significantly less.No programmable "extra" buttons, no wrist pad/rest, no backlighting....Why would I want this?
Having not tried this new one, I cant say for certain, however, my Das Pro is one of the most well built keyboards I have ever used, the feel and quality are far above the logitechs and corsairs, and at least in my opinion I think the elegant simplicity looks far better than some of the other options that are super flashy and glow in the dark.

I was fortunate enough to pick up the G710+ on Amazon for $99. It's a great keyboard, but it's pretty darn ugly.

Who told Logitech it would be smart to put gray and orange on a keyboard?
Fortunately for Logitech, I'm one of those customers that is all about function over form.

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
How can a keyboard "smoke" another keyboard? Aesthetically? It's a freaking IO device, not something you BRAG about. If we stop treating keyboards like they are WORTH $200 then they will stop COSTING $200.

zogglet

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
How can a keyboard "smoke" another keyboard? Aesthetically? It's a freaking IO device, not something you BRAG about. If we stop treating keyboards like they are WORTH $200 then they will stop COSTING $200.
I couldn't agree with you more. And I doubt the IBM mechanical keyboard from the early 90's in my basement would go for $200.

Squall321

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
my opinion is, that the corsair RGB is doing the right thing, by making "floating" keys. the cleaning would be superb easy with such a keyboard. A keyboard can easily cost 200$ if it's worth it. once a quality mechanical keyboard, there's no way back :9

athonline

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
How can a keyboard "smoke" another keyboard? Especially if they are addressing different consumers groups. Gaming mechanical keyboards are after your average gamer or someone who likes flashy and having lots of features. Das, Filco, Dacky and some offerings from CM are after your high-end gamer who NEEDS simplicity, software developers and people who need a reliable and easy-to-use keyboard. Some of these keyboards don't even have their keys printed or have them in "stealth" mode. Not everyone needs backlighting, 90128301 extra keys and a heater for your coffee mug. Sure it is nice to have, but not a necessity.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I can't speak for any other brands, but my Das Keyboard Ultimate S is amazing I could never go back to a non-mechanical keyboard. No key cap inscriptions took some getting used to when gaming on it (it was a Christmas gift or else I would of chosen key inscriptions if I had bought it) but as far as for typing I couldn't be any happier. Although back lighting would be a great addition and icing on the cake if they made one that had that option.

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
My ducky does all of this but being a USB hub and it was $90 new in Australia. I guarantee its as well built as a das as well.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
My ducky does all of this but being a USB hub and it was $90 new in Australia. I guarantee its as well built as a das as well.
Agreed, I have a Ducky 9008G2. I wouldn't spend all that extra money for a USB 3.0 hub built into my keyboard. I've had it for quite some time now, before any other manufacturers that sold in the US attempted more than 6kro. Ducky did it first, they just don't make fancy commercials that drive the price up. Fortunately, now, Corsair and Das Keyboard, name brands, are creating higher quality (despite being higher priced) options to people who don't know the difference between keyboards and only buy names they have heard of.Oh and my Ducky wrist rest is the best, most durable wrist rest I've ever had. Had it for years and it's same brand new quality as when I bought it, unlike others that are designed to fall apart in a week so you have to go out and buy a replacement.

What he's saying here is that the 710+ has brown switches, offers everything this keyboard does and more, but costs less. I got mine for $99. It's ridiculous that some company comes out with a keyboard that offers less than the competition and charges significantly more for it. It reminds me of Apple hardware prices, but without the well-known name behind it.

Das Keyboard sounds like something we'd see on a modern-day "Sprockets" skit on SNL, though I do commend them on their choice of blues and browns as I like the clicky feel.

I see your point; however, my point was, if you're going to charge that much for a KB you might as well give all the options, including lighting. If the customer doesn't need it, he/she can turn if off, but the option should be there for others to use.

Yeah, makes sense if they provide the appropriate drivers for every OS, or better yet not require any drivers to change back light settings.

AFAIK, no backlit KB requires any drivers; some have a dedicated button for that, others have a shortcut (key combo). Works regardless of the OS it's connected to.

Sep 22, 2013

It pulls out a Jav, locks on and fires.

No, seriously though the 710+ (just an example) doesn't have a ton of extra keys, but it does have controllable backlighting, awesome companion software, easy switching on-keyboard for button profiles and an extra row of "G key" programmable buttons across the top above the Fx keys and along the side withing finger reach. Oh, and Cherry MX brown switches.

It also has a "soft touch" textured volume roller and pass through USB 2.0, which are probably my favorite features. It has a wrist rest, which I don't see on the Das, but admittedly it's nothing fancy, just a plastic prop-up, but it does the job. It's removable if you want to use your own.

I do coding and I don't see how other than your normal gamer user a mechanical keyboard would be of much use to anyone else, so I'm not sure what "market" they are targeting. Even a lot of coders actually prefer the non-mechanicals due to noise and actuation force, so I don't see that being a big target, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.