Question Data Recovery Cost Seagate 2TB

Feb 6, 2023
I've a failed Seagate Baracuda platter style drive 2tb with aprx 600 gig on it I need recovered. It's at a data recovery service now, and I've been told the data IS recoverable. $1700 is what I've been quoted for the recovery. Fair? Comptetitive? If not, what's a fair price to pay for this? Can you recomend a similar firm priced better? Thank you.

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
Fair is $100 on a backup drive so you can recover it yourself. But if you want someone else to do it, you pay what you think it is worth. I have backups and would not pay a penny. And yes, I get it is late for you, but learn.

Reactions: Grobe

USAFRet

Titan
I've a failed Seagate Baracuda platter style drive 2tb with aprx 600 gig on it I need recovered. It's at a data recovery service now, and I've been told the data IS recoverable. $1700 is what I've been quoted for the recovery. Fair? Comptetitive? If not, what's a fair price to pay for this? Can you recomend a similar firm priced better? Thank you.
Cost almost certainly depends on the reason for the fail.

And it must be said.....where was your backup for this?

A lot of data recovery people hang out here:

https://ww.reddit.com/r/datarecovery/new/

Most prices I've seen over there would be half your quote. However, that is highly dependent on the nature of the fault. If the heads need to be replaced, then the price would be much higher than a PCB swap or a logical (software only) recovery. Cases involving media damage would be at the high end of the range.

A PCB swap is a DIY opportunity that shouldn't cost more than $US50.

Logical recovery should cost no more than US$300, or you can do it yourself for next to nothing.

Can you tell us the symptom? History?

Feb 6, 2023
It mustn't be said because it wasn't asked, BUT, as to where was the backup, I was backing it up as it failed. Symtoms were very slow backing up of late, as if the drive was struggling to work. Windows 10 file explorer would show the drive when first starting, then it'd disapperar. Same thing if looking for it BIOS. It'd show, then disappear. I placed my finger on it, and it felt as though the platters were spinning.

Thanks for the responses

It sounds like the drive has weak heads. In most cases the drive can be imaged without a head swap, so your quote should be at the low end of the range. Just tell the DR shop that you don't have the money right now and hope that they don't sabotage the drive (it happens). There is a company in LA that charges US$300 for logical recoveries, so this may be closer to the mark, if you're based in the USA. Otherwise the pros at reddit can make recommendations for you.