DAW build FANLESS GPUs choices?

drone007

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as a decision is made... In the middle of a new Audio PC build
BUDGET RANGE: Current cost of PC is $1,350. Budget is flexible from $50-$150 but I would rather save money and use elsewhere (aside from GPU)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Strictly Digital Audio Workstation; No gaming, no video rendering, etc.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel i7 3920K, ASUS P9X79 ATX mobo, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3, RME Raydat Audio Interface (PCIe card)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I have access to Microcenter local pickup. Willing to order online from anywhere if it gives the best selection or value.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Prefer quiet cards! Really prefer cards using fanless heatsinks.

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Probably dual monitors running 1280x1024. I also have a 42" 720P HDTV that I wouldn't mind trying out since I'm not worried about gaming.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: As of right now, I am VERY conscious about sound level. I am using a passive heatsink on the CPU, I have a quiet Fractal Design Define R4 case, I am using quiet fans, etc. I think since I am not overclocking, I shouldn't fear having a CPU and GPU without fans since I'll have good flow through the case. My main problem is that I haven't found any good literature on the actual needs of a DAW video card...

Thanks!

to be honest for dual monitor at those resolutions, you don't need a graphics card normally. this would be one of the rare situations where some integrated graphics from an i7 3930k would help, but alas it doesn't have it.

as for a fanless GPU I think this one should do nicely
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102950

I have used one for an audiophile friend and have never heard a complaint from him.

may I ask which CPU cooler you're using? I'm assuming you're getting a top tier CPU to use it in DAW, in which case you'll want a VERY GOOD and VERY LARGE cooler if you're not going to put a fan on it

Edit: as far as I know, DAW only uses CPU resources so your graphics card only need to be good enough to run your two monitors. (and maybe play HD video while you wait for your CPU to do stuff? lol)

drone007

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

yeh, i went back and forth for a while on CPU selection but ultimately I wanted the ability to buy 64GB of RAM which led me to the LGA2011 socket of the 3930K. But I agree, i orginally thought for sure I'd pick a CPU with an integrated GPU.

http://www.directron.com/ssthe02.html the reviews i've read seem to show that this is the best fanless cooler (using air only) out there right now, assuming you have good airflow through the pc case. I also hope that the CPU can function with a giant heatsink just fine if it's running at stock speeds... seems like that would be the least I could ask of it... haha

thanks for the GPU recommendation! That one takes up a bit less real estate than some of the bigger ASUS ones...

EDIT: i see you recommended the same CPU cooler haha. makes me feel good :sol:

lol, it looks like you picked the CPU cooler that I recommended you anyway haha.

and yeah, the 6670 should be fine for your applications, and I love how the heatsink is designed to bend back up to take up less room :)