[SOLVED] DDR 4 3600 memory okay for CPU say's DDR 3200?

zodz77

Prominent
Jun 10, 2019
I going to buy cpu Ryzen 5 3600, it say's ddr 3200. Can i use my ddr 4 3600 ram with it. Do i look in Bios and adjust or check system ddr 4 speed.

Solution
You install the RAM and go to BIOS to activate DOCP(XMP). If your board supports 3600mhz, then it will automatically adjust to that, else whatever the max supported frequency is.
I going to buy cpu Ryzen 5 3600, it say's ddr 3200. Can i use my ddr 4 3600 ram with it. Do i look in Bios and adjust or check system ddr 4 speed.

Not all XMP or D.O.C.P Profiles are supported with OC RAM and the system will generally not boot without Bios manual control for SPD Timings and voltage. Performance wise your best of at 3200MHz CL14 than 3600MHz CL16 with Samsung B-Die Chips.
Choose your kit from the MB QVL, that have been tested and known to work,
3200Mhz are officially rated for your CPU and 3600Mhz may work however there is no guarantee as it will be up to the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) that will determine what frequency you will achieve.

Reactions: zodz77
Not all XMP or D.O.C.P Profiles are supported with OC RAM and the system will generally not boot without Bios manual control for SPD Timings and voltage.
Not all but most. Manual tuning helps though...

Basic Setup – Enabling XMP/DOCP Profile
On most motherboards, you can usually get by with simply enabling built-in “overclocking” profiles, which will show up as an “XMP” (Extreme Memory Profile) or “DOCP” (DRAM Overclocking Profile) setting. In essence, XMP and DOCP are the same thing.

Ryzen OC guide.

Reactions: zodz77