DDR2-800 Won't Detect

lastlokean

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
Motherboard: ASRock P45TS
CPU: X5450, and Q6600 (same problem with both of them, just thought it might be the Xeon)

So I can boot no issue with DDR2 - 667.. I upgraded to t he X5450, I found I couldn't overclock at all without pushing the ram into instability.

So I bought 4 new Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G as they are listed as compatible with my motherboard on the ASRock website. With just my hard drive, CPU and one of these ram sticks I get a 3-short beep code, saying no ram. I am certain it is fully and properly seated.

With one old DDR2 - 667 chip and one of these Kingston chips it will boot, but will only detect the 667 chip. It will simply ignore/not detect any other chips.

I have tried to no avail, reset CMOS, updated bios, increasing ram voltage to 1.85/2.0 instead of auto. Enabled memory remap feature. Enabled Memory Flexibility. The Kingston data sheet leads me to believe all the timings are within tolerance, and the voltage only needs to be 1.8.

Is there something obvious I am missing here! It just doesn't seem to make sense to me. :??:

have you tried each stick one at a time?

might also try putting in the 667mhz stick and change the speed and timmings over to the 800mhz stick, save and when it reboots just shut down the pc. then swap over to the 800mhz stick and see if it will boot.

I also see that it will support 2 channels of ddr3 up to 8gb of ram. you might see if you could find or barrow some and see if that might work.

lastlokean

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
Yes sorry if that wasn't clear I have tried each stick separately one at a time, I'm sure they are good, verified on another computer. I've boot with the 667 stick and messed with the bios settings in every way possible. Setting it to manually specific timings and 800.

The problem is cost as it only has 2 ddr3 slots and 4gb sticks are more expensive. The problem isn't just getting it to boot, the problem is getting the ddr2-800 sticks to work.

I'm thinking the problem has to be this high-density type of ram is just not compatible with my motherboard despite the Memory QVL from ASRock.
Also my CPU's FSB is 1333. The manual says that with a 1333 FSB: DDR2 667, DDR2 800, DDR2 1066,
DDR3 1066, DDR3 1333 are all supported.