utq

May 29, 2020
Hello!

I have a somewhat older rig but it's still pretty solid. I have been upgrading piece by piece but it's getting harder and harder since things are becoming more and more legacy by the day.

I currently have 1 X 16 GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-17000 RipjawsZ Series for Intel X79 (9-11-10-28) Quad Channel kit 4x4GB set for memory unit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00679QX0O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/174/1532338037/F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH-Specification

I want to upgrade this to 32 gb because I kind of have to...

First I took the risk and ordered another kit of the same model (16 GB 4x4) on ebay but they sold out after I ordered. Now I'm trying to replace it all with a new model of 32 GB memory unit (either 4x8 or 8x4 if that's a thing). But I need some advice. I know a bit about the risks of mixing RAM (I took that risk with my initial order) but I wanted to consult to people who know better.

I am having trouble finding 32gb kits for ddr3. I want at least 1600 mhz but honestly higher would be better. I haven't been able to find any viable 32 gb kits and looking at mixing two 16gb kits now unfortunately. My biggest issue is my invasive CPU fan, which limits the height of the RAM kits. My current GSkills are 3.94 inches in height and they almost touch the fan. That removes the corsair vengeance pro series from the equation, and unfortunately they are the easiest to find ddr3 memories out there at the moment.

I have an ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition motherboard with 8 slots. I want to stay under $ 200 range (in US).

The best option I could find so far is getting two sets of G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C11D-16GAB
https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-240-Pin-Desktop-Memory-F3-2400C11D-16GAB/dp/B00DHA44MK/
https://www.gskill.com/product/165/178/1532587402/F3-2400C11D-16GAB-Overview

Unfortunately only F3-2400C11Q-32GXM(XMP) is listed in the Rampage IV Black Edition supported kits list out of all the F3-2400 series. Do you think it would be taking two much risk getting two of these kits since it's going to be mixing potentially unsupported memory units?

If so, does anybody have any suggestions on which set up I could get instead? I know the motherboard upgrade time is coming close but I want to resist for another couple years since it is still doing its job perfectly so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

So while ddr3 is quite forgiving ime, I think since you are wanting to run clocks higher than 1600 as well as 2x kits that aren't matched, using kits that aren't on the qvl might add just enough differences to make it not work.

If you can return the kit, it might be worth trying. But otherwise, you'll need to look into a different cooler/case combo that will allow you to get the same ram x8

utq
What is your plan with faster memory? Are you doing anything that needs the faster ram or 32GB? If you want 32GB of ram and are just playing games, you are better off getting 1600 or 1833, because the difference between 1600 and 2133/2400 in the majority of games, is usually going to be around 5-10fps on older platforms. Battlefield 1/5 and a few other games actually greatly benefit from faster ram or dual and quad channel. However, it might make more sense to sell what you have and invest that money into a new platform with dual channel and DDR4 3200-3600, if you don't actually need quad channel.

utq

May 29, 2020
I think I wasn't able to convey what I wanted to say about the clock speed here. I have a 1600 MHz setup right now so I don't want to downgrade. I am totally ok with 1600 MHz but of course always faster is better. I was only able to find a 2133 MHz unit as an example since most others don't fit my size specifications.

I am using this computer for work and pleasure. So I do professional game development on it besides playing games (since I'm working from home...). I had no idea RAM clock speed would increase FPS in fps games, does it actually increase simulation FPS on single player modes?

I am not looking to invest more money or time to get a new set up where I can use a DDR4 since it's going to mean changing a lot of things.

I think I'll get corsair vengeance with a new and less invasive CPU fan.

Thank you very much for the advice.

I think I wasn't able to convey what I wanted to say about the clock speed here. I have a 1600 MHz setup right now so I don't want to downgrade. I am totally ok with 1600 MHz but of course always faster is better. I was only able to find a 2133 MHz unit as an example since most others don't fit my size specifications.

I am using this computer for work and pleasure. So I do professional game development on it besides playing games (since I'm working from home...). I had no idea RAM clock speed would increase FPS in fps games, does it actually increase simulation FPS on single player modes?

I am not looking to invest more money or time to get a new set up where I can use a DDR4 since it's going to mean changing a lot of things.

I think I'll get corsair vengeance with a new and less invasive CPU fan.

Thank you very much for the advice.
What is your current CPU cooler? Also, you can just remove the heat-spreaders from the modules if you are only running DDR3 1600 at 1.5v since it will already be running cool enough and within spec. You might need to leave heat-spreaders on if you run 1.6-1.65v with 2133-2400. You can also try getting low profile DDR3L 1600 CL9 or CL10 kits that run at 1.35v. Those will likely be Samsung branded if you can find them for a good price.

If you want to run 32GB but can't find a 4x8Gb kit, you can try running two 2x8GB kits, but you will very likely have to manually set the timings because XMP may not work properly with both kits at once. I have two different G.Skill kits on one of my old motherboard right now that do actually work fine together, but I've manually set the timings and left all the other timings on automatic for better compatibility.

As for higher fps in games, so far the only games I know can have a significant advantage (15-20fps or higher) with faster memory or quad channel memory are Battlefield 1 and 5 and Assassins Creed Odyssey. Edit - I forgot to mention that the faster memory is usually higher than 2133 or 2400. If you were going from 1333 to 2133 then you would likely see a 15fps increase in BF5. If you were going from DDR4 2133 to maybe 3000-3200 you could probably see a 20-25fps increase.

Edit 2 -Here is some example of higher fps in games with faster memory.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m692eBH2Jw

Last edited:

utq

May 29, 2020
This is my current CPU fan:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00631QFG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't know about the Samsung branded rams you described. They aren't in the supported RAMs page of the manufacturer page. They don't look fancy (which I really don't care) and are almost half the price. What's the catch there? :) Do they perform just as well and it's a matter of cosmetics or are they inferior in a sense? Do you think my motherboard would support them?

This is my current CPU fan:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00631QFG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't know about the Samsung branded rams you described. They aren't in the supported RAMs page of the manufacturer page. They don't look fancy (which I really don't care) and are almost half the price. What's the catch there? :) Do they perform just as well and it's a matter of cosmetics or are they inferior in a sense? Do you think my motherboard would support them?
The Samsung modules are just shorter than normal modules, but you are not likely to find a 2x8 or 4x8GB kit for a decent price. Like I said before, you will probably have to run two 2x8GB kits. You may want to buy them used for half the price, otherwise it will cost $130-190 for a new 4x8GB kit or two 2x8GB kits. I would suggest trying to get DDR3/DDR3L 1600 CL9 or 1833 CL10, but DDR3/DDR3L 1600 CL11 is fine too and probably what you will end up having to run with two different kits.

Look over the modules here https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007611 600006050 600006072 600551103 8000 Keep in mind that you can use a hair dryer to loosen the glue and remove the heatspreaders on to the modules so they fit under the CPU heat-sink. eBay usually has good deals on used memory. The G.Skill Aegis kits should fit without removing the heatspreaders and the Ares kits might fit, but are slightly taller then the Aegis.