DDR3 Performance Factors

thedesolatesoul

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hi there,
Not considering overclocking in this question.
As far as I know, the three main factors affecting RAM speed are:
The clock frequency
CAS Latency
Single/Dual/Triple channel

I know that the RAM frequency is most important in speed/bandwidth figures. But how much do the other two count?
If you have a single low latency stick, is that better than 2 sticks running in dual channel mode?

What are the other factors involved in buying high performance ram and how do they compare?

thedesolatesoul

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Given that both setups are the same speed (lets say 1333 MHz), will a single 4GB CL7 be faster, than 2x2GB CL9 in dual channel?

I've heard that the difference is not really noticeable, but I am trying to get every teeeeny bit of performance out of my rig to make it perfectly efficient.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

You have spent far more time micro-analyzing this than its worth. There is no perfectly efficient state to achieve. If you want a benchmark title, then you want the lowest CL RAM you can afford - and OC your mb to use it. But you will get far more day-to-day performance out of your hard drive. Different drives, usig RAID, using an SSD will all contribute MUCH more to useful performance that this perfect efficiency you are seeking.

Just my 2 centavos

thedesolatesoul

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Yes, I understand. Problem is everytime I settle on a product, I find some new terminologies and then go about looking at what they mean. Just too much variety to keep me confused!!!