Cpu Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212x single fan
Gpu : XFX RX480 GTR Black Edition 8 GB
Ram: Adata 8 GB DDR3 1600 BUS Single Stick
Powersupply: Seasonic M12II 520W
HDD: x3 7.2K RPM
SSD: Transcend 240gb
Extra: x4 cooling fans

I'm thinking about upgrading my pc ram.
Right now I'm using a 8gb 1600 single stick Adata ram https://www.adata.com/us/specification/152#
Can I use another 4gb or 8gb stick with it?
And the new ram frequency should be 1600 or I can use a higher frequency one?
Does dual channel memory perform better than single channel? Dunno how much performance will increase on my system if I add a new stick :D

Sagar_20

Respectable
Jun 29, 2016
If you already got 1600 MHz, then there's no point in going for 1600+ MHz. Even if it's available for the same price, you aren't going to improve anything..

Get yourself the same Adata 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Put it in the same color slot and it will start working dual-channel, which you can check through 3rd party apps like Speccy & CPU-Z.

Reactions: rakeshbro
I would get a (2 x 8GB) kit of 1866MHz G. Skill Sniper.

Adding extra memory , regardless of brand and model number is not guaranteed to be compatible. If it does not work correctly, your stuck with it, unless you are allowed to return it, which may involve restocking fees.

rakeshbro

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
If you already got 1600 MHz, then there's no point in going for 1600+ MHz. Even if it's available for the same price, you aren't going to improve anything..
Get yourself the same Adata 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Put it in the same color slot and it will start working dual-channel, which you can check through 3rd party apps like Speccy & CPU-Z.
I can't find Adata 8 gig on the market only 4 gig version available which is low voltage series. Will there be a problem if you get a different brand 1600 mhz ram or the 4gig adata?

Your bottleneck in the system is the CPU not the RAM, unless you are hitting max RAM usage. Even then, another 8 GB of RAM won't help much.
So there is no benefit of dual channel on my current rig?

Even if you found the same make and model RAM there is a small chance of issues. The more different your new RAM is the more likely you are to have issues. Hence why Calvin7 recommended buying a new 2x8gb kit.

There might be a small improvement by going dual channel but on DDR3 it’s very small from all reviews I have seen.

However your cpu is really weak by modern standards. Buying new RAM seems a waste of money when that money could be put to DDR4 for a modern system.

Sagar_20

Respectable
Jun 29, 2016
Buying a new 16 GB DDR3 kit will be a waste of money, although prices of ddr3 have greatly dropped.
So, If you don't want to invest on a completely new kit, get any 1600 MHz RAM.
Whichever costs the least.

rakeshbro

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Even if you found the same make and model RAM there is a small chance of issues. The more different your new RAM is the more likely you are to have issues. Hence why Calvin7 recommended buying a new 2x8gb kit.

There might be a small improvement by going dual channel but on DDR3 it’s very small from all reviews I have seen.

However your cpu is really weak by modern standards. Buying new RAM seems a waste of money when that money could be put to DDR4 for a modern system.
Buying a new 16 GB DDR3 kit will be a waste of money, although prices of ddr3 have greatly dropped.
So, If you don't want to invest on a completely new kit, get any 1600 MHz RAM.
Whichever costs the least.
Guess than I should save money for a DDR4 rig Upgrade :confused_old:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS