DDR3L vs DDR3 Benchmark and Performance?

dialate

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
There is a lot of discussion out there about what DDR3L is (and what DDR3U will be), however there are no details I can find evaluating the performance impact (if any) when these memories are substituted for regular DDR3, or vice versa.

This would be a great opportunity to go write an article about it, since there seems to be nothing out there comparing or benchmarking the new memory.

Are there any white papers or test results out there that I have missed?

popatim

Titan
The DDR3L (DDR3 Low Voltage) standard is an addendum to the JESD79-3 DDR3 Memory Device Standard specifying low voltage devices. The DDR3L standard is 1.35V and has the label ’’PC3L’’ for its modules. Examples include DDR3L?800, DDR3L?1066, DDR3L?1333, and DDR3L?1600. The DDR3U standard is 1.25V and has the label ’’PC3U’’ for its modules.

I don't really see the need for testing beyond motherbd compatibility. It functions the same.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Ideally this should provide a little more OC headroom, but on a personal opinion, in part I think it's a lead in for the manufacturers to play with low voltages and get customer feedback for their development labs going into the design of DDR4...prior to the release of the DDR4 standards, JEDEC did a lot of hedging on whether DDR4 would come out at 1.25, 1.3, 1.35 etc.. A few of the manufacturers came out with low voltage sticks clear back to 2010, notably GSkill with their ECO line and they followed up with some sets of LV DRAM in the Sniper line