[SOLVED] DDR4 or DDR5 for new build?

"Should"......................a very vague word.

Lean toward DDR4 to the extent you are price conscious.

Lean toward DDR5 to the extent you value being on the leading edge of technology for whatever reason.

Today's motherboards will accept only one or the other. Not both.

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi all,

This is my 1920x1080p gaming build that I'm about to put together.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/PartPicker2017/saved/pWfyWZ

I just realized that there is DDR5. Should I be using DDR5 instead of DDR4?

Thanks!

--

You could, but there's not a big incremental gain so far, which isn't unusual early in a generation for RAM. Whether spending an extra $100 for DDR5 RAM -- it was far worse a couple months ago -- is worth it for unknown gains, that's up to you. I'd personally do it, but I'm also not particularly frugal when it comes to PC stuff, so my answer may not be yours.

So I would need to get a different motherboard as well if I wanted to go DDR5?

Yes, as far as I have heard. There aren't any "combo" boards and quite possibly will never be.....although that has happened a time or two in the past.

BUT............

Many boards are available in both versions. They would be identical in all other respects and typically say "DDR 4" or "DDR 5" in the name, outright. In plain sight to keep you from making a mistake.

JasonJJJ

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015
Yes, as far as I have heard. There aren't any "combo" boards and quite possibly will never be.....although that has happened a time or two in the past.

BUT............

Many boards are available in both versions. They would be identical in all other respects and typically say "DDR 4" or "DDR 5" in the name, outright. In plain sight to keep you from making a mistake.

So I'd probably be future proofing more if I got a DDR5 board and RAM. I'll have to think about this one before I start building...

-

So I'd probably be future proofing more if I got a DDR5 board and RAM. I'll have to think about this one before I start building...

You might want to rethink even more.

You might want to think about the word "postpone".

You could buy DDR5 now and think you did great, despite the expense.

Only to find out that DDR5 specs improve considerably in the next 6 months.

By more than the difference between today's DDR5 and today's DDR4.

You end up with buyer's remorse..."why oh why did I buy that old and slow DDR5; now I've got to buy DDR5 all over again".

At that time, Raptor Lake may be here as well.

Or maybe you are not a slave to RAM specs and would never know the difference. Decisions, decisions......

JasonJJJ

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015
You might want to rethink even more.

You might want to think about the word "postpone".

You could buy DDR5 now and think you did great, despite the expense.

Only to find out that DDR5 specs improve considerably in the next 6 months.

By more than the difference between today's DDR5 and today's DDR4.

You end up with buyer's remorse..."why oh why did I buy that old and slow DDR5; now I've got to buy DDR5 all over again".

At that time, Raptor Lake may be here as well.

Or maybe you are not a slave to RAM specs and would never know the difference. Decisions, decisions......

I'm still using my 2011 gaming comp (DDR3, i7-2700K with a 970 GPU). I bought my Corsair 460x case a few years ago and it's been sitting in my closet because I keep postponing waiting for the next best thing (also because GPU prices have been insanely high). I decided it's time to stop postponing and to finally pull the trigger.

So in a spur of the moment decision I put this new comp together, ordered it and the boxes are sitting in front of me.

If I'm making a mistake going with DDR4 then I'll go with the DDR5. If the DDR4 will last me three years. I'm fine with sticking with the DDR4.

-

the boxes are sitting in front of me.

Is the stuff in the RAM box compatible with the stuff in the motherboard box?

Both DDR4 or both DDR5?

Or you don't have those boxes yet?

I'm still on 6 year old hardware myself...and keep postponing.

The truth is that my current system is powerful enough and I'd be irrational to buy anything new if none of the major parts fail...motherboard, RAM, CPU.

But I reserve the right to be irrational.

JasonJJJ

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015
Is the stuff in the RAM box compatible with the stuff in the motherboard box?

Both DDR4 or both DDR5?

Or you don't have those boxes yet?

I'm still on 6 year old hardware myself...and keep postponing.

The truth is that my current system is powerful enough and I'd be irrational to buy anything new if none of the major parts fail...motherboard, RAM, CPU.

But I reserve the right to be irrational.

I have DDR4 motherboard and DDR4 RAM in boxes ready to be built. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/PartPicker2017/saved/pWfyWZ

I just realized there is DDR5 out there and I don't want to build a new comp that is outdated.

Looking at the prices of DDR5 RAM, I'd much rather stay with DDR4 for now, especially since I'm gaming in 1920x1080p.

-

logainofhades

Titan
You have a few overpriced components in that build, PSU, ram, and cooler.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($379.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($112.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($108.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Corsair Crystal 460X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1028.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-18 10:02 EDT-0400

Solution