Question DDR5 and on-die ECC

May 27, 2023
I'm trying to build a new PC and am stuck at ram choices.

One option I'm interested in F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR (G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Black AMD EXPO 64GB, DDR5-6000Mhz, CL30)
Because it's lowest latency I can find for 6000 and price is same/similar as competition

However what I'm worried about is that I don't find on-die ECC mentioned ANYWHERE about this one, and I searched a lot.

This other one for example KF560C36BBEK2-64 (Kingston Fury Beast 64GB (2x32GB) DDR5 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit)
Has on-die ECC mentioned in specifications

The thing is I also read ALL ddr5 ram has on-die ecc, so that includes the Trident Z5 Neo? Or not?
Some people say overclocking it can disable on-die ECC, and it's understandable, but I don't plan to OC it past the AMD EXPO setting of 6000 mhz. Does EXPO setting count as OC and that's why no on-die ECC?

I just don't want to get a lot of corrupted data due to density of DDR5 ram. I do understand on-die ECC is not full ECC and errors will still happen, but at least not as often.

So tl;dr my question is: does the Trident Z5 Neo F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR have on-die ECC at AMD EXPO setting of 6000 Mhz or not?

Extra question: speaking of full ECC I found this one KSM48E40BD8KM-32HM (Kingstone ECC, 32GB, DDR5-4800MHz, CL4)
But it's of course way slower because it has no OC on it (even factory settings), and I can't overclock this one myself to 5600 mhz for example because it will overheat right?

DDR5 has several flavors of ECC, see https://www.synopsys.com/designware-ip/technical-bulletin/error-correction-code-ddr.html

From what I can gather, yes, all DDR5 chips have on-die ECC, but this is only meant to correct errors inside the chip itself. This is not the same as ECC that server/enterprise systems that the CPU uses to see if the data it received has any errors.

Unless you literally cannot afford a data error, need 24/7 uptime, or the system is running in an adverse environment (e.g., out in direct sunlight all day with outside temperatures well past 104F/40C), I wouldn't worry about full ECC too much.

Reactions: Alisaa
May 27, 2023
Hi and thanks for the reply!

Yup I know about the different types of ECC.

So the F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR G.Skill Trident Z5 has at least On-Die ECC right? Even though it's not listed absolutely anywhere on its specifications, while the Kingston Furybeast mentions on-die ECC?

I am more inclined to buy the trident then, seeing as it has higher performance at almost same cost. Thanks!

So the F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR G.Skill Trident Z5 has at least On-Die ECC right? Even though it's not listed absolutely anywhere on its specifications, while the Kingston Furybeast mentions on-die ECC?

I am more inclined to buy the trident then, seeing as it has higher performance at almost same cost. Thanks!
The JEDEC standard for DDR5 requires on-die ECC, so if it's required, is there any reason to advertise on-die ECC other than just because? That'd be like one video card seller going "Oh yeah, we can do 4K 60Hz because we got HDMI 2.1" and the other just saying "We got HDMI 2.1". They both can do 4K 60Hz because HDMI 2.1 has enough bandwidth to do so. There's no reason to advertise a specific feature of the standard other than to look cool.

In any case, I'd say buy whatever helps you sleep at night.

May 27, 2023
Thanks!

And last question do I need to enable the on-die ECC in bios or it's just enabled by default? Probably stupid question but I want to make sure I don't get extra bitflips just for not pressing a button.

Thanks!

And last question do I need to enable the on-die ECC in bios or it's just enabled by default? Probably stupid question but I want to make sure I don't get extra bitflips just for not pressing a button.
I poked at one board's BIOS manual and there's an option and it's enabled by default.

Obviously you'll have to verify with whatever you get.

May 27, 2023
I'm thinking of TUF GAMING B650-PLUS

iirc I saw an ECC option but not sure if that's for on-die ecc or regular. If I set regular one by mistake will it simply not work or do something bad?