Question DDR5 ram speed caps at 5400 with advertised 6000 speed

Oct 13, 2023
Not really sure if it's my hardware or some secret setting in bios. I set the speed past 5400, anywhere from 5600-6000, and it defaults back to 4800. I know it has probably been asked before, but I cannot figure it out from other people's occurrences, as mine pertains to me, not them! Any advice appreciated.

Specs; 2080 super, ryzen 9 7950x, 64gb ddr5 (32x2 in dimm 2x4 preferred by mobo in manual), asrock b650 pro rs if that matters.

I am so lost as to why I cannot do 6000, I need a wizard to look into their sphere and assist :) thanks in advance

Oct 13, 2023
Could you show us some screenshots from Cpuz of memory and spd (with selected dimms slots that are populated) tabs.
I have no clue what that is, sorry!
Edit: I have no clue where to reliably download this product, is a better way to put that statement!
Edit again: Working on getting it running, will post results shortly.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks. How are you changing ram speed in bios? Xmp or just upping memory speed? Xmp applies voltage and timings etc, i think you're doing it that way but if trying to manually set ram speed without adjusting other settings xmp also changes it won't work.

If you are trying xmp then it's possible motherboard has compatibility issues with the ram which bios update might address. - just seen you have updated. What happens if you try single stick in a2?

Oct 13, 2023
Thanks. How are you changing ram speed in bios? Xmp or just upping memory speed? Xmp applies voltage and timings etc, i think you're doing it that way but if trying to manually set ram speed without adjusting other settings xmp also changes it won't work.

If you are trying xmp then it's possible motherboard has compatibility issues with the ram which bios update might address. - just seen you have updated. What happens if you try single stick in a2?
ngl I hate asrocks UI, but, when I go in, there is the option to set it from auto to any number up to like 16000 for some reason. so I set it to 6000, nothing. 5800 same story, and 5600. Though 5400 seemed to change it for me. I also made sure XMP was enabled in a sub section just below that option.

As for the single stick, what else am I looking to do/change with that, so I can preemptively work on doing it?

Oct 13, 2023
Just to see if same behaviour happens applying same settings.

I checked if there's a video showing what to do on youtube. It's an Asrock x670, ui should be the same hopefully.

Click on timestamp 12.02 in description. Hopefully it helps.

View: https://youtu.be/xqYQOvwnwTU?si=8G4tHioDo-BCRFrZ

If your ram has xmp and expo profile try the latter as that's Amd's equiv to xmp.
Hey, sorry about last night! I fell asleep before continuing to troubleshoot. I just wanted to give this update, I set the speed back to 6000, and Cpu-z says this..

So, CPU-Z is reading that I can in fact use 6000 as my speed, but following the instruction of the video, it does not change the actual speed to that. It sets it back to 4800, as shown in the memory tab and as well on the Task manager https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...849efdff5e2016fd03b6af0917aa737d1f50f6f25d8f&

TRENDING THREADS