Question Dead fan power socket

Mar 11, 2019
I'm having cooling issues with my ASUS gl502vm laptop. One of it's fans is dead (it has 2).

After furter investigation I found that:
The fan itself still works when i plug it into the other's socket.
There is no physical sign of damage
edit: forgot to mention i also checked for driver issues

I'm working on the assumption that it's a main board issue so I'm keen to come up with a workaround rather than mess with the board.

My plan is to get a fan power splitter cable and hang both fans of the one socket but I'm concerned about draw requirements.

Anyone have any advice?

Last edited:
Power draw is a non-issue. You could technically run up to four fans off one header, but I don't recommend running more than two, or three maximum if you reaaally have to, so that if there happens to be major spikes you don't exceed the amp rating of the cabling.

A splitter is fine.

Another option is to simply get a cheap hub with supplemental power, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-FH-...+PWm+fan+hub&qid=1552364379&s=gateway&sr=8-10

Mar 11, 2019
Thanks for the answer. I've decided to go with a fan splitter. (yes i looked at your recommendation but it seemed you missed the fact that I'm talking about a laptop AKA no space)

Speaking of which can anyone recomend a splitter for LAPTOP fans? I can't seem to find any online

That's because they don't make them. The power specifications for those types of fan headers is just enough for the fan they are designed to be used with and nothing more.

If a fan header fails, you replace the mainboard or daughterboard if the fan controller is there and it has one. Generally speaking, it's the mainboard and you'd need to replace it.

Mar 11, 2019
Unfortunatly replacing the mainboard isn't a option at thiis point due to $$$.

As a work around could i rig up a fan to usb connection and power it via that?