[SOLVED] Dealling with bad sector hdd

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
I have a 2tb Seagate drive for many years and crystal disc info says it has bad sector
05 reallocated sectors count 98current and worst threshold 30

No actual errors have occurred so far, important data has got backup

Are there ways to reliable use the drive?
Cani get a dump file/ partition , place on the bad sector and leave it there forever? Etc

Solution
Like 4-6 years,
But i heard rumors that hdd will lock away the bad sectors , how do i check it,
If not can i do it manually?
A drive has a certain number of spare sectors.
When it finds a bad sector, it will move data off that and start using one of the spares. The bad space is marked as "Do Not Use".

Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Eventually, there are no more spare sectors.

From the moment you power up a drive for the first time, it is on a slow march to death.
Some take years, and slowly fade away.
Some take years, and then it throws itself off a cliff quite suddenly.
Others seemingly have a death wish as soon as you open the box.

Drives never get better. Only worse.

USAFRet

Titan
Like 4-6 years,
But i heard rumors that hdd will lock away the bad sectors , how do i check it,
If not can i do it manually?
A drive has a certain number of spare sectors.
When it finds a bad sector, it will move data off that and start using one of the spares. The bad space is marked as "Do Not Use".

Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Eventually, there are no more spare sectors.

From the moment you power up a drive for the first time, it is on a slow march to death.
Some take years, and slowly fade away.
Some take years, and then it throws itself off a cliff quite suddenly.
Others seemingly have a death wish as soon as you open the box.

Drives never get better. Only worse.

Reactions: 721831101
Solution

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
USAFRet said it all. Also the drives are sometimes not even able to read the data from those bad sectors and move them to the reserved ones it has. HDD health software show them as 'pending' and retries to read and move the data to reserve.

Any diagnostic and health scan (short or extended) puts extra pressure and strain on the drive and not advisable to do on an already ailing drive.

When bad sectors are limited to a certain surface area of the platters (rarely) the user can move/make partitions that are on the two sides of this area thus avoiding any read/write to sectors in that area. In very limited occasions the drive would work for a longer while than it would if it kept trying to read/use pending sectors and such. But that's rarely the case and often the bad sectors are scattered all over the place.

Long story short as said above, I too would backup any irreplacable files (personal or otherwise) to other media and leave it be.

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
drive has a certain number of spare sectors.
So its actually kind of auto fixed,
But since 2 tb is still very useful , i will know how to use it then, for anything doesnt worth keeping

USAFRet

Titan
So its actually kind of auto fixed,
But since 2 tb is still very useful , i will know how to use it then, for anything doesnt worth keeping
Just use it as you've been using it.
It will die in its own sweet time.

My most recent HDD fail was a 7 month old 14TB Toshiba.
Went from seemingly perfect, to 14,000+ bad sectors in less than a week.

It is currently at Toshiba, waiting for them to say "Yes, dead", and send me a replacement.