Dear Tom's - Mac vs. PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Wow, umm, yeah, i think we've already established this, what i am trying to do is get it on paper or a web page from a legit source such as Tom's Hardware. 90% of people who buy computers knows that Apple is way too expensive, the other 10% just don't care and spend the extra 100% penalty anyway. People at my work are doing this and i am trying to get the company to stop spending $$$ on Apple laptop products.

It's much easier to directly compare AMD and Nvidia, than PC's and Macs. Because both AMD and Nvidia video cards run on the same platform (Windows), their performance numbers can be directly compared. When you try to compare a PC vs an Apple system, it's not as easy to do a direct comparison. Not quite Apples vs Oranges (pun definitely intended), but they differ enough that it's not exactly a simple operation. More often it comes down to personal preference by brand loyalty, by usability of applications on each system (integrated and third party), and other little intangibles that make each platform great in it's own right.

Personally, I go with the "If it works for you, then you should stick with that" attitude. I'm a Windows guy myself, but I don't totally despise Apple (Their computers anyway. Their advertising practices on the other hand...) simply because they are Apple.

I still think this is a bad idea. Despite the intention of a civilized, intelligent discussion comparing the two systems, I can see it very quickly degrading into a flame war.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Thank you shadow, LOL, i just don't understand why people say that its bad that it'll be a flame war, it WILL be a flame war, just like Intel vs. AMD or AMD vs Nvidia, in the tech world, Flame wars are a part of the game.

Don't try to tell me that it's apples and oranges either because whether you buy a Mac laptop or a Dell laptop, it's still a laptop, i know some things are non-comparable between the two but that's not the point, the same is true for AMD and Intel CPU's, they use entirely different structures and there's comparisons written about the two all the time...

I'm not disputing the fact that the hardware in each system is the same, I'm well aware of what hardware can and does go into each type of computer. Let me reiterate: the software running on top of the common hardware is what makes it more difficult to directly compare.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

I agree completely but, i have friends that play games on Mac's and i play the same games on a PC as well as word processing, photoshop, etc...

Way i see it is the operating systems could be one of the tests, which OS handles which software programs better better...

There are a number of things that can be compared such as:

Battery life
Operating System and how it handles programs
Operating System capabilities
Games
Programs (common between the two platforms)
Ease of use
Security

Anything else that the author can conjure up to compare, this would indeed be a big article but it would be a fun one IMO.