Death Star Run Recreated in Minecraft; Notch Steps Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonstantinDK

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
They actually have a team of few players building something that big. Not, usually, just 1 person. You can see ads for requested help on Minecraft forum.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]The time that people put shows [strike]their dedication[/strike] that they have no life! Wonderful![/citation]

Fixed.

... seriously, I don't get what the hell is with all the hype about that stupid game.

njt

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
is this a joke? i've always thought minecraft as being at the very bottom end of a very long pile. i'm a fan of half life, bioshock, dead space and mass effect. i loved plants vs. zombies for completely different reasons, but i just cannot see why people choose to spend time with minecraft. and now this? wow.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

... so then why the hell is my previous post thumbed down so bad? Too many Minecraft fanboys on Tom's? :D

Novulux

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
[citation][nom]njt[/nom]is this a joke? i've always thought minecraft as being at the very bottom end of a very long pile. i'm a fan of half life, bioshock, dead space and mass effect. i loved plants vs. zombies for completely different reasons, but i just cannot see why people choose to spend time with minecraft. and now this? wow.[/citation]

Maybe you don't enjoy sandbox games?

[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Fixed.... seriously, I don't get what the hell is with all the hype about that stupid game.[/citation]

If gaming is stupid, then many of our users existence has no meaning.

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I don't get it, what's with all the pixelated blocks and stuff? Is it supposed to be ironic? like, "this is what games used to look like, kids! isn't that funny?" The sad thing is it's probably a cool game, but it makes me sick to look at. They could have easily made the exact same game using the source engine and I might have played it. Like Garry's Mod but with mining.

I'm not necessarily one to value graphics over substance. Some of my favorite games have mediocre or poor graphics, eg. Psychonauts, Morrowind, Beyond Good and Evil. BUT there's a happy medium that minecraft ignored, i suppose in the name of making a statement that a good enough game can have graphics that are complete shyte. Someone tell me if I'm way off base here: what's the deal with the graphical style?

Look Minecrafters, I get, I understAND. I have a really small one too. It's not worth it to give up though. Get out there and try! Hell, if you tell them how small it is, curiosity will get the better of them, and they will have to take you home to find out for themselves. Trust me brothas. If the oldest profession in the world was legal and available at reasonable rates in and around college campuses, Minecraft wouldn't exist.

Ok ok, in all seriousness, great job there. Some of these Minecraft creations are better than any resume could ever do for a person. Congratulations.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I'll just ignore your last paragraph, the first one nails it :D

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I'll admit some puzzlement over the game myself; in my opinion, I think the game's a little overblown; Terraria, IMO, is a better sandbox. However, what appears to be the case is that it allows for full 3D artwork, but ALSO has a unique-enough gimmick (being based on un-filtered cubes) that it actually feels NOVEL to create things in it, versus more commonly-accepted artistic methods available, such as, for instance, in Second Life or heck, any true 3D modeling program.

Perhaps my bias against Minecraft is that I almost had expected it to be more of an "solo Dwarf Fortress in 3D," and it was far, far less ambitious than that.
[citation][nom]killbits[/nom]Morrowind[/citation]
Just as a correction, Morrowind placed a VERY heavy emphasis on graphics. The reason it doesn't look impressive now is, well, because it was old. It'd be like claiming that Quake focused on "gameplay over graphics." (or better yet, Unreal 2: The Awakening) In time even Crysis will look dated. (it actually kinda does, at least compared to once you throw in the "ultra-realism" mods)

monktongaz

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
The problem is that you keep referring to it as a game.

For a long time, there was no "game", just a lego kit from which you could make whatever you wanted.

The blocky style fits in well with the whole lego sandbox feel.

If you can't understand why people play this "game", then quite simply it isn't the game for you. What is so difficult to understand?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

okay-okay-clean-l.png

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
But we had so many lego blocks... not simple blocks, which we can use to build those other blocks and so on... >.>

(Also, we could use one Lego stuff to build an another one. Like building a car, then put that car into a huge robot... etc.)

G

This game is about creativity... Making something from resources you have to gather under sometimes dangerous conditions. It makes you feel a sense of pride in your creation. People who don't understand this are likely the same folks who play COD and BF3 exclusively. They just don't understand a game about creation - for them, all they know are games consisting of destruction.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
This game is about creativity... Making something from resources you have to gather under sometimes dangerous conditions. It makes you feel a sense of pride in your creation. People who don't understand this are likely the same folks who play COD and BF3 exclusively. They just don't understand a game about creation - for them, all they know are games consisting of destruction.

I want creation, I will do it IRL - IRL is ALL about creating something out of resources you gather under dangerous conditions. Why would I do the same in game?

P.S. Not a fan of FPS.

monktongaz

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

If you're the kind of person who wouldn't do that in a game, then you wouldn't play Minecraft. Simple. There's plenty more games out there that might appeal to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.