Deceptive Ad on TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Have you seen the ad where a jeep gets blown out of an erupting volcano, and
keeps on going? Does anyone think a jeep can really do that?

It is not legally deceptive to portray fantasy in an ad.

What would be deceptive would be to say that Dell provides tech support to
home users in the USA. It is not illegal to provide a white actor for that
commercial.

Have you seen the Coke ads with the Polar bears drinking Coke?

Have seen the truck ads where a ford tows an airliner down a runway and
actually makes it fly?

Trust me lawyers are always looking for people to sue. If that Dell ad were
deceptive there would already be a long line of lawyers looking for meat.

That said, I agree the ad is misleading, but not illegal.

"schema" <schema46@hotmail.com> wrote in message

.................I agree the ad is misleading, but not illegal.

But, it is a very good indication of where the "new" Dell is headed.

Mislead customers about a problem, rather than correct it.

> [...]
> > center in India, or any other overseas nation, in any of their ads even
> > though that is where a lot of the support is happening. Now WHY would
> > Dell
> > NOT want that information presented in their commercials?
> >
> > If I were a lawyer I would ask that ALL of Dell's "quality control
> > recordings" be supplied for analysis to prove that what they are
> > advertising
> > DOES NOT EXIST in the world of a home buyer of a Dell computer. Not
only
> > deceptive, but I would argue FRAUDULENT and done with INTENT.
> >
> > Sure wish I WAS a lawyer because I think Dell could be dinged for
hundreds
> > of millions and then I'd be rich! Stop Michael Dell-lesh from lining
his
> > pockets with lies, buy your computer elsewhere, or have one built for

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Irene wrote:
> "schema" <schema46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> ................I agree the ad is misleading, but not illegal.
>
> But, it is a very good indication of where the "new" Dell is headed.
>
> Mislead customers about a problem, rather than correct it.

Holding Dell to a different standard than Ford, Jeep, beer ads showing
pot bellied white guys dancing with the Swedish Bikini Team, Coke, etc.,
is Dell bashing - no more, no less. Advertising = deception. Who would
ever buy tobacco if the ads contained only truth?

<for the record, not claiming Dell is faultless>

rover

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> Irene wrote:
> > "schema" <schema46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > ................I agree the ad is misleading, but not illegal.
> >
> > But, it is a very good indication of where the "new" Dell is headed.
> >
> > Mislead customers about a problem, rather than correct it.
>
> Holding Dell to a different standard than Ford, Jeep, beer ads showing
> pot bellied white guys dancing with the Swedish Bikini Team, Coke, etc.,
> is Dell bashing - no more, no less. Advertising = deception. Who would
> ever buy tobacco if the ads contained only truth?
>
> <for the record, not claiming Dell is faultless>

obvious humor in advertising is one thing. but depicting something that is
not a possibility is false advertising. if 80% of dell's consumer tech
support is done overseas, then 80% of their commercials should depict that
reality. funny thing though, we have yet to see a single commercial with an
indian tech support person! if dell is so proud of this and these techs are
so good then why not advertise it? i think we all know the answers.
bottonline is dell (and yes all other outsourcers) are purposely deceiving
people to protect their image. to dell and other outsourcers I say don't be
lying weasels. have the balls to tell the truth and let your potential
customers decide if they want to support companies that ship jobs overseas.
don't try to deceive us into thinking you don't.

how politically incorrect i am in our new global economy! we are shipping
our standard of living overseas pure and simple. it started with the
factories and now it is everything else. and of course are borders are
being swarmed by illegal immigrants so what will be left in a few years?
not much i fear, unless people in this country wake up and take a hard look
around.

dell is part of this and should be held accountable, especially when they
blatantly use deceptive advertising to convince people they aren't.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

rover wrote:

> "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
>
>>Irene wrote:
>>
>>>"schema" <schema46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>................I agree the ad is misleading, but not illegal.
>>>
>>>But, it is a very good indication of where the "new" Dell is headed.
>>>
>>>Mislead customers about a problem, rather than correct it.
>>
>>Holding Dell to a different standard than Ford, Jeep, beer ads showing
>>pot bellied white guys dancing with the Swedish Bikini Team, Coke, etc.,
>>is Dell bashing - no more, no less. Advertising = deception. Who would
>>ever buy tobacco if the ads contained only truth?
>>
>><for the record, not claiming Dell is faultless>
>
> obvious humor in advertising is one thing. but depicting something that is
> not a possibility is false advertising. if 80% of dell's consumer tech
> support is done overseas, then 80% of their commercials should depict that
> reality.

Where's that written?

I just saw a TV commercial for the Bahamas which shows a guy "island
hopping", i.e., literally jumping from island to island. Shouldn't he
have fallen into the ocean at least once? I didn't even see a
"Professional jumper on a closed course. Do not try this at home"
disclaimer.

Sparky wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I just saw a TV commercial for the Bahamas which shows a guy "island
> hopping", i.e., literally jumping from island to island. Shouldn't he
> have fallen into the ocean at least once? I didn't even see a
> "Professional jumper on a closed course. Do not try this at home"
> disclaimer.

Could be grounds for a future lawsuit!

Notan

Well, according to you all people who own jeeps should sue Chrysler because
there jeeps won't hold up to be blown off the top of a volcano.

"rover" <rover@x.com> wrote in message news:_iOId.5547$yv2.127@fe04.lga...

> "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
>> Irene wrote:
>> > "schema" <schema46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > ................I agree the ad is misleading, but not illegal.
>> >
>> > But, it is a very good indication of where the "new" Dell is headed.
>> >
>> > Mislead customers about a problem, rather than correct it.
>>
>> Holding Dell to a different standard than Ford, Jeep, beer ads showing
>> pot bellied white guys dancing with the Swedish Bikini Team, Coke, etc.,
>> is Dell bashing - no more, no less. Advertising = deception. Who would
>> ever buy tobacco if the ads contained only truth?
>>
>> <for the record, not claiming Dell is faultless>
>
> obvious humor in advertising is one thing. but depicting something that
> is
> not a possibility is false advertising. if 80% of dell's consumer tech
> support is done overseas, then 80% of their commercials should depict that
> reality. funny thing though, we have yet to see a single commercial with
> an
> indian tech support person! if dell is so proud of this and these techs
> are
> so good then why not advertise it? i think we all know the answers.
> bottonline is dell (and yes all other outsourcers) are purposely deceiving
> people to protect their image. to dell and other outsourcers I say don't
> be
> lying weasels. have the balls to tell the truth and let your potential
> customers decide if they want to support companies that ship jobs
> overseas.
> don't try to deceive us into thinking you don't.
>
> how politically incorrect i am in our new global economy! we are shipping
> our standard of living overseas pure and simple. it started with the
> factories and now it is everything else. and of course are borders are
> being swarmed by illegal immigrants so what will be left in a few years?
> not much i fear, unless people in this country wake up and take a hard
> look
> around.
>
> dell is part of this and should be held accountable, especially when they
> blatantly use deceptive advertising to convince people they aren't.

rover

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

this newsgroup has a higher than usual retard count... so you're saying
dell's ads are an attempt at humor like a person jumping from island to
island? dellbot heaven this is...

> Well, according to you all people who own jeeps should sue Chrysler
because
> there jeeps won't hold up to be blown off the top of a volcano.
>

> "rover" <rover@x.com> wrote in message news:_iOId.5547$yv2.127@fe04.lga...
> >
> > "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message

> >> Holding Dell to a different standard than Ford, Jeep, beer ads showing
> >> pot bellied white guys dancing with the Swedish Bikini Team, Coke,
etc.,
> >> is Dell bashing - no more, no less. Advertising = deception. Who would
> >> ever buy tobacco if the ads contained only truth?
> >>
> >> <for the record, not claiming Dell is faultless>
> >
> > obvious humor in advertising is one thing. but depicting something that
> > is
> > not a possibility is false advertising. if 80% of dell's consumer tech
> > support is done overseas, then 80% of their commercials should depict
that
> > reality. funny thing though, we have yet to see a single commercial
with
> > an
> > indian tech support person! if dell is so proud of this and these techs
> > are
> > so good then why not advertise it? i think we all know the answers.
> > bottonline is dell (and yes all other outsourcers) are purposely
deceiving
> > people to protect their image. to dell and other outsourcers I say
don't
> > be
> > lying weasels. have the balls to tell the truth and let your potential
> > customers decide if they want to support companies that ship jobs
> > overseas.
> > don't try to deceive us into thinking you don't.
> >
> > how politically incorrect i am in our new global economy! we are
shipping
> > our standard of living overseas pure and simple. it started with the
> > factories and now it is everything else. and of course are borders are
> > being swarmed by illegal immigrants so what will be left in a few years?
> > not much i fear, unless people in this country wake up and take a hard
> > look
> > around.
> >
> > dell is part of this and should be held accountable, especially when
they
> > blatantly use deceptive advertising to convince people they aren't.

There should be a distinction between what is very obviously a "put on" and
what appear to represent the reality of a provided service.

Surely, you can tell the difference. >g<

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> Irene wrote:
> > "schema" <schema46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > ................I agree the ad is misleading, but not illegal.
> >
> > But, it is a very good indication of where the "new" Dell is headed.
> >
> > Mislead customers about a problem, rather than correct it.
>
> Holding Dell to a different standard than Ford, Jeep, beer ads showing
> pot bellied white guys dancing with the Swedish Bikini Team, Coke, etc.,
> is Dell bashing - no more, no less. Advertising = deception. Who would
> ever buy tobacco if the ads contained only truth?
>
> <for the record, not claiming Dell is faultless>

Jd

i've used dell's india based tech support three times over the past
year and there third party on site service once, and have never had a
problem. i was well taken care of with no on-hold phone
time and 36 hour on-site service. and the indian techies are fine.
accent or not. whether or not better paid americans can do a better job
is another story. as it is 15 out of every 100 home user
calls dell gets is a person with a problem caused by a virus. so after
spending 4 or 6 or 8 years in college or at a high cost tech school,
the most qualified people for these jobs may simply not want to spend
10 hours a day in a cubicle answering questions from folks who can
barely open a can of soup, much less run and maintain a busy computer
on a daily basis. and now that the jobs have gone overseas and it's
been proven it can work, these phone support jobs have been diminished
and devalued. so the pay and the job may never be as attractive to
american workers again. the bottom line is those indian folks have at
least a bachelors degree in there chosen field and the average pay is
$2,000 annually. the IT industry as a whole is globally minded and
student enrollment in our nations collages for IT training is at an all
time low. far more folks from other countrys are entering the field
then americans. the why and the how could this happen is
beyond the point now. that's the way it is for better and for worse.

On 1/24/05 4:47 AM, in article
1106560042.342754.153570@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "jd"
<sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:

> i've used dell's india based tech support three times over the past
> year and there third party on site service once, and have never had a
> problem. i was well taken care of with no on-hold phone
> time and 36 hour on-site service. and the indian techies are fine.
> accent or not. whether or not better paid americans can do a better job
> is another story. as it is 15 out of every 100 home user
> calls dell gets is a person with a problem caused by a virus. so after
> spending 4 or 6 or 8 years in college or at a high cost tech school,
> the most qualified people for these jobs may simply not want to spend
> 10 hours a day in a cubicle answering questions from folks who can
> barely open a can of soup, much less run and maintain a busy computer
> on a daily basis. and now that the jobs have gone overseas and it's
> been proven it can work, these phone support jobs have been diminished
> and devalued. so the pay and the job may never be as attractive to
> american workers again. the bottom line is those indian folks have at
> least a bachelors degree in there chosen field and the average pay is
> $2,000 annually. the IT industry as a whole is globally minded and
> student enrollment in our nations collages for IT training is at an all
> time low. far more folks from other countrys are entering the field
> then americans. the why and the how could this happen is
> beyond the point now. that's the way it is for better and for worse.

Yes, better to use a computer that doesn't ever require a call to tech
support to figure out how to maintain it or detox it of viruses and malware.

"rover" <rover@x.com> wrote in message news:_iOId.5547$yv2.127@fe04.lga...

> lying weasels. have the balls to tell the truth and let your potential
> customers decide if they want to support companies that ship jobs
> overseas.
> don't try to deceive us into thinking you don't.
>
> how politically incorrect i am in our new global economy! we are shipping
> our standard of living overseas pure and simple. it started with the
> factories and now it is everything else.

Our low end jobs are going off shore, while at the same time, better paying
jobs are coming here from other countries. You don't hear too much about
that because it's so politically correct to "protect" the people that didn't
get a proper education and now fall at the bottom of the pay scale.

If you don't want anything to do with off shore, strip naked and hide in the
woods, because everything on you, around you, and also to a great extent, in
you, come from off shore. Look at the label on everything around you,
including that computer you are using. I am loving those South American
fruits these winter days, while typing on my keyboard made in China, hooked
to a computer made in China, wearing shoes made in Mexico, clothes made in
several different countries except the US and looking at a computer screen
made in Malaysia. My income lets me vacation 4 to 6 months of the year, so
I have no complaints about the good life we live in this great country named
the United States of America, where everyone that applies themselves can get
and does have a job!!

Tom J
who hates politically correct as bad as politically incorrect

rover

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

> "rover" <rover@x.com> wrote in message news:_iOId.5547$yv2.127@fe04.lga...
>

> > lying weasels. have the balls to tell the truth and let your potential
> > customers decide if they want to support companies that ship jobs
> > overseas.
> > don't try to deceive us into thinking you don't.
> >
> > how politically incorrect i am in our new global economy! we are
shipping
> > our standard of living overseas pure and simple. it started with the
> > factories and now it is everything else.
>
> Our low end jobs are going off shore, while at the same time, better
paying
> jobs are coming here from other countries. You don't hear too much about
> that because it's so politically correct to "protect" the people that
didn't
> get a proper education and now fall at the bottom of the pay scale.
>
> If you don't want anything to do with off shore, strip naked and hide in
the
> woods, because everything on you, around you, and also to a great extent,
in
> you, come from off shore. Look at the label on everything around you,
> including that computer you are using. I am loving those South American
> fruits these winter days, while typing on my keyboard made in China,
hooked
> to a computer made in China, wearing shoes made in Mexico, clothes made in
> several different countries except the US and looking at a computer screen
> made in Malaysia. My income lets me vacation 4 to 6 months of the year,
so
> I have no complaints about the good life we live in this great country
named
> the United States of America, where everyone that applies themselves can
get
> and does have a job!!
>
> Tom J
> who hates politically correct as bad as politically incorrect

>....better paying jobs are coming here from other countries. You don't hear
too much about
> that because ....

.... because it isn't happening! what kool-aid have you been drinking?!
why do think there is a "jobless recovery"?
good jobs are flooding out of this country much faster than they are being
created.

well please do educate all us idiots about all those high paying jobs coming
here from overseas? where are they coming from? how much do they pay? why
are they coming here when there is a dime a dozen indian waiting for it?

as for people taking IT in college they'd be nuts! who's going to spend 4
years and $150k to learn something they can't get a job in and have to
compete with people getting paid $2/yr in india?

"rover" <rover@x.com> wrote in message news:IAeJd.10667$9l4.2369@fe04.lga...

> well please do educate all us idiots about all those high paying jobs
> coming
> here from overseas? where are they coming from? how much do they pay?
> why
> are they coming here when there is a dime a dozen indian waiting for it?

1st, who called anyone an idiot? There is a big difference in people that
didn't bother to get an education and idiots. 2nd, if you would read the
news from a ligimate news source sometime instead of relying on the dribble
in these newsgroups, you would know about some of these jobs.

> as for people taking IT in college they'd be nuts! who's going to spend 4
> years and $150k to learn something they can't get a job in and have to
> compete with people getting paid $2/yr in india?

As for hi-tech jobs, there are still good jobs to be had in the $100,000 to
$200,000 range for the well educated under 45 person that has the drive and
is willing to relocate. I have a son that is 48 and just relocated again in
the last few months because of the demand for the type of programming he
does. There are not many of those jobs for those fresh out of college now
because of the glut, but even the cream of the crop of those young men and
women who actually studied and applied themselves are landing great jobs.

If you don't like what's happening here, try it somewhere else. My grandson
thought the grass was greener on another continent, but was back in the US
in 6 weeks.

Tom J

> "rover" <rover@x.com> wrote in message
>
> > well please do educate all us idiots about all those high paying jobs
> > coming
> > here from overseas? where are they coming from? how much do they pay?
> > why
> > are they coming here when there is a dime a dozen indian waiting for it?
>
> 1st, who called anyone an idiot? There is a big difference in people that
> didn't bother to get an education and idiots. 2nd, if you would read the
> news from a ligimate news source sometime instead of relying on the
dribble
> in these newsgroups, you would know about some of these jobs.
>

> > as for people taking IT in college they'd be nuts! who's going to spend
4
> > years and $150k to learn something they can't get a job in and have to
> > compete with people getting paid $2/yr in india?
>
> As for hi-tech jobs, there are still good jobs to be had in the $100,000
> $200,000 range for the well educated under 45 person that has the drive
and
> is willing to relocate. I have a son that is 48 and just relocated again
in
> the last few months because of the demand for the type of programming he
> does. There are not many of those jobs for those fresh out of college now
> because of the glut, but even the cream of the crop of those young men and
> women who actually studied and applied themselves are landing great jobs.
>
> If you don't like what's happening here, try it somewhere else. My
grandson
> thought the grass was greener on another continent, but was back in the US
> in 6 weeks.
>
> Tom J

as i supected, absolutely no examples of good jobs coming into the US from
abroad. with all the news of this in 'legitimate' news sources, surely you
could cite one or two. i do a fair amount of news reading and keep up on
politics and there simply is no flood of jobs coming into the US so please
stop hawking this cow dung. assuming there even was an inflow, it can't
replace the ten fold outflow of jobs.

yes, there are still some high paying jobs here in the US (I have one) but
there is a huge outsourcing effort by many large corporations. entire
groups are being replaced wholesale with cheap foreign labor by the likes of
GE, HP, Dell to name a few.

i hope your son rakes in the dough fast and saves a lot because programming
jobs are at the top of the hit list for outsourcing overseas which is why he
probably has to keep moving and all those recent college grads can't find
work in their chosen field. and of course the grass is green here NOW but
many businesses sure as hell are doing their best to turn it brown.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Tom J wrote:

> If you don't like what's happening here, try it somewhere else. My grandson
> thought the grass was greener on another continent, but was back in the US
> in 6 weeks.

Couldn't cut it when English speaking white guys were favored, eh?

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Tom J wrote:

> If you don't like what's happening here, try it somewhere else. My grandson
> thought the grass was greener on another continent, but was back in the US
> in 6 weeks.

Couldn't cut it when English speaking white guys weren't favored, eh?

> Tom J wrote:
>
>> If you don't like what's happening here, try it somewhere else. My
>> grandson thought the grass was greener on another continent, but was back
>> in the US in 6 weeks.
>
> Couldn't cut it when English speaking white guys weren't favored, eh?

Oh, he had a good job already lined up, making more than he was here, when
he left the US to go to work, but it just never crossed his mind that the
cost of living in another country would take a higher percentage of his
income!!

Tom J