Deceptive Ad on TV

Has anyone seen the Dell advertisement on TV where the guy is lying on the
bed talking to Dell tech support on the phone? This is deceptive because the
Dell tech in the commercial speaks English, and we all know this IS NOT the
case when one calls Dell support.

"Taylor Palmer" <tdPalmer336@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone seen the Dell advertisement on TV where the guy is lying on the
> bed talking to Dell tech support on the phone? This is deceptive because
> the Dell tech in the commercial speaks English, and we all know this IS
> NOT the case when one calls Dell support.

Duly noted that the tech was caucasian and appeared to be located in the
states for what appears to be a "home/residential" user.

Has anyone on the home side had a call answered by a tech stateside lately?
I haven't had to call them in quite some time, so I don't know....

Stew

Taylor Palmer wrote:

> Has anyone seen the Dell advertisement on TV where the guy is lying on the
> bed talking to Dell tech support on the phone? This is deceptive because the
> Dell tech in the commercial speaks English, and we all know this IS NOT the
> case when one calls Dell support.

Not true? Hmmmm.

I called Tech Support, just a few days ago, and spoke to
a very knowledgeable gentleman in Texas.

Notan

> Taylor Palmer wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone seen the Dell advertisement on TV where the guy is lying on
>> the
>> bed talking to Dell tech support on the phone? This is deceptive because
>> the
>> Dell tech in the commercial speaks English, and we all know this IS NOT
>> the
>> case when one calls Dell support.
>
> Not true? Hmmmm.
>
> I called Tech Support, just a few days ago, and spoke to
> a very knowledgeable gentleman in Texas.
>
> Notan

Shazam. Hence my qualifier. Did you call about a home, not corporate,
system?

Stew

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Taylor Palmer wrote:
> >>
> >> Has anyone seen the Dell advertisement on TV where the guy is lying on
> >> the
> >> bed talking to Dell tech support on the phone? This is deceptive because
> >> the
> >> Dell tech in the commercial speaks English, and we all know this IS NOT
> >> the
> >> case when one calls Dell support.
> >
> > Not true? Hmmmm.
> >
> > I called Tech Support, just a few days ago, and spoke to
> > a very knowledgeable gentleman in Texas.
> >
> > Notan
>
> Shazam. Hence my qualifier. Did you call about a home, not corporate,
> system?

Yep, I missed the qualifier.

Small Business.

Notan

> Has anyone seen the Dell advertisement on TV where the guy is lying on the
> bed talking to Dell tech support on the phone? This is deceptive because
> the Dell tech in the commercial speaks English, and we all know this IS
> NOT the case when one calls Dell support.

Say it isn't so. Deceptive advertising? My faith in humanity is lost.

I sure hope other advertisers don't start doing it too. It could seriously
damage the reputation of an otherwise respectable and conscientious segment
of society... ;-)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

"Taylor Palmer" <tdPalmer336@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Has anyone seen the Dell advertisement on TV where the guy is lying on the
>bed talking to Dell tech support on the phone? This is deceptive because the
>Dell tech in the commercial speaks English, and we all know this IS NOT the
>case when one calls Dell support.

You, of course, have filed your formal complaint with the Federal
Trade Commission over this gross violation of the "Truth in
Advertising Act".
--
OJ III

Jd

Taylor Palmer wrote:
> Wow! You are lucky. I aleways get someone I cannot understand.

"aleways"? boy, good thing for those poor indian folk it's not online
tech support!

> Wow! You are lucky. I aleways get someone I cannot understand.

My mother-in-law picked up the phone?

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

> "Taylor Palmer" <tdPalmer336@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
>>Has anyone seen the Dell advertisement on TV where the guy is lying on the
>>bed talking to Dell tech support on the phone? This is deceptive because
>>the Dell tech in the commercial speaks English, and we all know this IS
>>NOT the case when one calls Dell support.
>
> Say it isn't so. Deceptive advertising? My faith in humanity is lost.
>
> I sure hope other advertisers don't start doing it too. It could seriously
> damage the reputation of an otherwise respectable and conscientious segment
> of society... ;-)

Heh, well put!

What next, used car salesmen aren't always truthful about certain
clunkers? Politicians who say one thing then do another?

In article <8mvtu0l10ru5o8e6odm7im87fv5sm63vgq@4ax.com>, Ogden Johnson III
says...

>"Taylor Palmer" <tdPalmer336@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone seen the Dell advertisement on TV where the guy is lying on the
>>bed talking to Dell tech support on the phone? This is deceptive because the
>>Dell tech in the commercial speaks English, and we all know this IS NOT the
>>case when one calls Dell support.
>
>You, of course, have filed your formal complaint with the Federal
>Trade Commission over this gross violation of the "Truth in
>Advertising Act".

I'd like to see that.

"Dell Computer's ads don't accurately respresent the ethnicity and location of
their technical support." The complainer gets to explain why that's a material
complaint.

Banty

I saw a commerical that says all Dell Computers use Intel Celeron
processors. Of course, we know that isn't true. My 4600 has Intel
Pentium 4 Processor, which I've heard are better than the Celerons.

"davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I saw a commerical that says all Dell Computers use Intel Celeron
> processors. Of course, we know that isn't true. My 4600 has Intel
> Pentium 4 Processor, which I've heard are better than the Celerons.

I think you misheard the ad. Their ads say all their machines use INTEL
processors.

He probably just didn't understand it in Indian.

> "davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>I saw a commerical that says all Dell Computers use Intel Celeron
>> processors. Of course, we know that isn't true. My 4600 has Intel
>> Pentium 4 Processor, which I've heard are better than the Celerons.
>>

> I think you misheard the ad. Their ads say all their machines use INTEL
> processors.

I can't remember the last time that I had a call to Dell
Tech Support answered by an "American" located in the U.S. I know it was two
years ago or more.
I've made about a half dozen calls over the previous 10 to 12 months. None
would come close to fulfilling that which is represented in the TV ad.
Now that is what I call REAL CREATIVE advertising.

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I can't remember the last time that I had a call to Dell
> Tech Support answered by an "American" located in the U.S. I know it was
> two
> years ago or more.

I made 2 calls to tech support and 1 to parts in December & all were
answered in Texas. The difference is, I bought from the Small Business web
listing instead of the Home Office web listing.

Dell says a Small Business is from 1 (ONE) to 2,000 people. Did you notice
the ONE?

Tom J
Tom Johnson Associates

In article <qKCHd.41$76.29@fe05.lga>, tdPalmer336@bellsouth.net says...
> Has anyone seen the Dell advertisement on TV where the guy is lying on the
> bed talking to Dell tech support on the phone? This is deceptive because the
> Dell tech in the commercial speaks English, and we all know this IS NOT the
> case when one calls Dell support.

If he was a business customer, then he was speaking to someone in the
U.S.

Business customers get the call centers in the U.S. first unless they're
overloaded. Consumers get overseas support first unless they're
overloaded.

There are exceptions... Support for the new XPS gaming systems is
handled entirely in the U.S. (at that price, they should be).

Dell still has about 2000 or so consumer agents in the U.S. (mostly in
Austin and Nashville) but it's really difficult to get to them. You can
keep calling and hanging up until you get one...

If you really care about who it is that's supporting you, spend $100 or
so extra and buy the exact same system from the business division
instead of the consumer division. Then you'll have a 99.9% chance of
reaching a support rep in the U.S.

ahall

Tom> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news> gATHd.2341$rp1.183@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> I can't remember the last time that I had a call to Dell
>> Tech Support answered by an "American" located in the U.S. I know it was
>> two
>> years ago or more.

Tom> I made 2 calls to tech support and 1 to parts in December & all were
Tom> answered in Texas. The difference is, I bought from the Small Business web
Tom> listing instead of the Home Office web listing.

Tom> Dell says a Small Business is from 1 (ONE) to 2,000 people. Did you notice
Tom> the ONE?

My latest Dell was bought on Home, for the first time.

We will see if I need to call service what I get.

It did seem even more bloated with uselessware than usual,
but I have deleted most of it (making sure it is useless is
what takes time...).

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

"Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.dude> wrote in message

> If you really care about who it is that's supporting you, spend $100 or
> so extra and buy the exact same system from the business division
> instead of the consumer division. Then you'll have a 99.9% chance of
> reaching a support rep in the U.S.

I actually bought my system over $100 cheaper from business side!!

Tom J

ahall

Tom> "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.dude> wrote in message
news> MPG.1c5a26254cf5ecac989814@news.usenetserver.com...

>> If you really care about who it is that's supporting you, spend $100 or
>> so extra and buy the exact same system from the business division
>> instead of the consumer division. Then you'll have a 99.9% chance of
>> reaching a support rep in the U.S.
>>

Tom> I actually bought my system over $100 cheaper from business side!!

It usually is, but not always.

--

<ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

> Tom> "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.dude> wrote in message
> news> MPG.1c5a26254cf5ecac989814@news.usenetserver.com...
>

> >> If you really care about who it is that's supporting you, spend $100
> or
> >> so extra and buy the exact same system from the business division
> >> instead of the consumer division. Then you'll have a 99.9% chance of
> >> reaching a support rep in the U.S.
> >>

> Tom> I actually bought my system over $100 cheaper from business side!!
>
> It usually is, but not always.

I watched the deals for over a month until the deal I wanted to live with
came along. That's the secret with Dell, watching the deals.
http://www.dealcatcher.com/ This site also helped me in my quest!!

Tom J

"Banty" <Banty_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> In article <8mvtu0l10ru5o8e6odm7im87fv5sm63vgq@4ax.com>, Ogden Johnson III
> says...
> >
> >"Taylor Palmer" <tdPalmer336@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Has anyone seen the Dell advertisement on TV where the guy is lying on
the
> >>bed talking to Dell tech support on the phone? This is deceptive because
the
> >>Dell tech in the commercial speaks English, and we all know this IS NOT
the
> >>case when one calls Dell support.
> >
> >You, of course, have filed your formal complaint with the Federal
> >Trade Commission over this gross violation of the "Truth in
> >Advertising Act".
>
> I'd like to see that.
>
> "Dell Computer's ads don't accurately respresent the ethnicity and
location of
> their technical support." The complainer gets to explain why that's a
material
> complaint.
>
> Banty

Materialality:

1. It is well publicized and acknowledged by Dell has outsourced all home
tech support overseas.
2. It is well publicized and acknowledged by Dell that the quality of that
support is all to frequently poor.
3. It is well publicized and acknowledged by Dell that many of the people
providing overseas tech support have problems communicating in
understandable English.

The Dell ads appear to clearly depict a HOME USER (indicated by his
surroundings) speaking to a person who appears to be American (though home
user support is NOT provided in the U.S.A.) and the person is speaking clear
and precise English. Dell has never, to my knowledged, depicted a call
center in India, or any other overseas nation, in any of their ads even
though that is where a lot of the support is happening. Now WHY would Dell
NOT want that information presented in their commercials?

If I were a lawyer I would ask that ALL of Dell's "quality control
recordings" be supplied for analysis to prove that what they are advertising
DOES NOT EXIST in the world of a home buyer of a Dell computer. Not only
deceptive, but I would argue FRAUDULENT and done with INTENT.

Sure wish I WAS a lawyer because I think Dell could be dinged for hundreds
of millions and then I'd be rich! Stop Michael Dell-lesh from lining his
pockets with lies, buy your computer elsewhere, or have one built for you!