Question Unable to Login to cPanel after Installing SSL Certificate on GoDaddy Hosting from Office Network

mrmurtaza

Reputable
Dec 17, 2019
I am experiencing a strange issue with my GoDaddy hosting setup. I have one main domain and two subdomains. Here's a summary of the problem:

Background​

• Hosting Provider: GoDaddy
  • Domains: One Main Domains attached to hosting with two other domains.
  • SSL Certificate: Installed using the getssl plugin from GitHub Network
  • Office network with a static IP provided by ISP

Issue Description​

After successfully generating and installing SSL certificates using the getssl plugin, I am unable to log in to cPanel using the correct username and password from my office network. However, I can log in successfully under the following conditions:

• Using a VPN from the office network
  • From my home network (same ISP)
  • Using mobile data (different ISP)
This issue affects all devices in the office network, including mobile devices connected via WiFi. The problem is specific to the office network where the certificates were generated.

Steps Taken​

• Contacted GoDaddy: They confirmed that there is no issue on their end as they can log in successfully.
  • Contacted ISP: During a previous occurrence, the ISP changed the IP pool, and I was able to log in after several hours. However, I also deleted the SSL certificates at that time, so I’m unsure what resolved the issue.
  • SSL Certificates: Deleting the SSL certificates allows successful login, but this is not a permanent solution since SSL is essential for security.

Network Details​

Ping Results to webhosting server​

Code:
Pinging millan********.com [132.148.177.39] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 132.148.177.39: bytes=32 time=247ms TTL=45
Reply from 132.148.177.39: bytes=32 time=251ms TTL=45
Reply from 132.148.177.39: bytes=32 time=248ms TTL=45
Reply from 132.148.177.39: bytes=32 time=251ms TTL=45

Traceroute Results to webhosting server​

Tracing route to millan********.com [132.148.177.39]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

Code:
1    12 ms     2 ms     2 ms  192.168.100.1
  2    11 ms    17 ms    30 ms  202.163.85.253
  3    13 ms    19 ms    10 ms  192.168.111.201
  4    11 ms     7 ms     6 ms  192.168.4.1
  5   100 ms   100 ms   100 ms  192.168.69.226
  6     *      100 ms    99 ms  lag-121.ear1.Marseille3.Level3.net [212.133.120.77]
  7   243 ms   244 ms   242 ms  ae2.3604.edge3.Phoenix1.level3.net [4.69.137.142]
  8   247 ms   248 ms   248 ms  4.4.123.14
  9     *      268 ms   254 ms  ae2.phx3-pemc0215-01.bb.gdinf.net [148.72.32.67]
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19   257 ms   249 ms   248 ms  39.177.148.132.host.secureserver.net [132.148.177.39]

Additional Information​

• SSL certificates appear to work fine from other networks.
  • The issue seems specific to the office network and the ISP’s static IP.
  • Flushing DNS cache and restarting the router did not resolve the issue.

This is more of a server issue I suspect. I know very little about the details of how certificates work.

Your latency is a bit high but if this is coming from someplace like india that is a ok value.

Because you can ping/trace these IP the basic networking is fine.

So where is the server is it on the same lan as the machines trying to access it or is it located in some hosting company location.

There is a very common issue accessing servers from behind the same router. It is related to what is called hairpin NAT. Either your router has this feature or ir does not. This though is more of a home user or very small business problem. I would assume you have dedicated IP public IP for each server and use different IP for your internet access for the standard pc.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
So what's the error message you got when you tried to login?

Have you cleared browser's cache? Or try other browsers?

Chrome has a tendency to remember previous session's data like website info that's outdated if Chrome is the browser you use.

I change routers (well, technically is just different firmwares ) quite often for testing, it's what I experienced for Chrome. Router's login page is just like a web page on the internet to browsers, just a lot simpler. But Chrome has difficulty opening router's login page if 2 different models of router but have same ip address. I always have to clear the cache if I swap routers.

Last edited:

mrmurtaza

Reputable
Dec 17, 2019
This is more of a server issue I suspect. I know very little about the details of how certificates work.

Your latency is a bit high but if this is coming from someplace like india that is a ok value.

Because you can ping/trace these IP the basic networking is fine.

So where is the server is it on the same lan as the machines trying to access it or is it located in some hosting company location.

There is a very common issue accessing servers from behind the same router. It is related to what is called hairpin NAT. Either your router has this feature or ir does not. This though is more of a home user or very small business problem. I would assume you have dedicated IP public IP for each server and use different IP for your internet access for the standard pc.
The server is maybe in north america or nearby at GoDaddy, and I am accessing it from office network.
As stated in message, the issue is I am getting incorrect username/password error when trying to login cPanel using correct credentials, when I try this using VPN I can, also when login from different connection (i.e. home internet) I can even though that network is from same ISP...

So what's the error message you got when you tried to login?

Have you cleared browser's cache? Or try other browsers?

Chrome has a tendency to remember previous session's data like website info that's outdated if Chrome is the browser you use.

I change routers (well, technically is just different firmwares ) quite often for testing, it's what I experienced for Chrome. Router's login page is just like a web page on the internet to browsers, just a lot simpler. But Chrome has difficulty opening router's login page if 2 different models of router but have same ip address. I always have to clear the cache if I swap routers.
I have tried all possible ways, like clearing cache, using incognito mode, using other browsers, and yes I have Static IP...

Again I would like to share with you as I have stated in main question, when I delete the SSL Certificates I can login using same credentials but faces login issue when reinstalling SSL, keeping in mind that this issue is with current internet connection...

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I have to admit I'm not really good at SSL things, see if other people can help, and send the result to Godaddy too.

It seems godaddy cpanel does have some sort of problems?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wordpress/...=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

or maybe wordpress problem? Guess you are using wordpress?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15238288/cant-login-to-my-wp-admin-after-switching-to-ssl

And since you have so many subdomains using the same certificate with the main domain, what if you can use a standalone certificate with cpanel.millanagroseed.com ? Or maybe all of the main + sub domains ?

autodiscover.millanagroseed.com cpanel.millanagroseed.com cpcalendars.millanagroseed.com cpcontacts.millanagroseed.com mail.millanagroseed.com millanagroseed.com webdisk.millanagroseed.com webmail.millanagroseed.com www.millanagroseed.com

Last edited: