Decrypt EFS files WITH Keys

Mimic4

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Hello, I have searched google long and hard and had no luck so here I am, appealing to the tech community with hope of finding an answer!

For mystery reasons unknown Windows 7 likes to encrypt files I haven't asked it to encrypt, unknown to me, causing frustration. Anyways, besides the point here's whats happened.

Windows wouldn't start after a hardware change so I reinstalled to the same drive and DIDN'T format, all the old files are still there, and the windows.old folder was created with all its goodness inside.

There keys and certificates folders are still in windows.old under my user name, but I cant figure out how to import them so I can access my encrypted files. I did NOT export a *.pfx using the certificate manager, I did nothing before reinstalling, I'm just hoping because the old files are still on the drive it should be possible to save it, right?

Please help me find how!

popatim

Titan
You may just simply have to take ownership of those folders you need.
I use this tool often since I'm frequently rescuing other peoples data:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Mimic4

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply, but I've already tried this. :( The files are tinted green text, and definitely encrypted under properties, when I try to take ownership or un-encrypt them it tells me "access denied".

I have the keys from the old drive... just unsure as how to import them into windows so it knows what keys we have? Sorry for my lamens terms type explanation!

Mimic4

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
+1 Bump? I have all the information and files that are required... I just lack the program to use them and decrypt the program.

I know that there are decrypting tools that require user password, $efs stream, crypto and protect folder, and they will combine them all to decrypt the files on a non-native machine. (Used for hard-drive decryption in law cases).

Does anyone know of a personal-use program that could help me with this? I've searched high and dry and I'm hoping to find some substance! Thanks again!