Deepcool Gammaxx 400 Slim-Tower CPU Cooler Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Co BIY

Splendid
I'm sure if this was viable, it would have already been done.

I agree with or concede everything you said above except this. Lots of viable/feasible/better things have not been done.

And not because they haven't been thought of but because no one with the combination of idea,time and interest wanted to do it.

A better PC cooling device test rig (better than what Tom's been using/better than my thought experiments in these posts) wouldn't be harder than the awesome article up on Tom's right now about creating a better longer lasting mouse switch!

The hotplate would have more exposed surface area than a CPU would, by far.

Key to idea is that the plate would be tiny and ideally mated/soldered to a standard CPU lid.(without significant heatsink) Ideally mounted on a mother board in a standard tower.

This link is pretty close to what I am thinking but he has a large copper base block that would not be comparable to a CPU in heat sink value.

http://overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-and-cpu-cooler-test-bench/

Well, I'll tell you what, I'll give you this. For certain, a COMPARATIVE analysis could be done using a setup like that, it just wouldn't be realistically reflective of specific platform results. It would however, tell you which coolers had better results at some predetermined standard. So you could say, this cooler rated a 10 while this cooler was a four, in relation to their performance on THIS hotplate/device.

I'm just not sure that is what users are looking for. Personally, I want to see results that are relevant to one or more of the common sockets being used.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I have one of this, bought it 2 years ago... it's a solid performer. I addedd a second fan for push/pull configuration. Very efficient. Only drawback is the connection of the fan, and the damper that comes with it. After sometime, the damper gets too thin, that it causes vibration on the whole tower cooler.

I just realized this, but I'm not understanding why we're reviewing four year old products. You wouldn't do a review of a Sandy bridge cpu or motherboard, so why this cooler? Especially when the venerable 212 EVO has yet to be reviewed for inclusion in these comparisons. Just my thoughts on that. Still a good review.

Wixman

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I really hope this finally silences the incessant parroting of the [overpriced] Hyper212 EVO. I'd seen a good review of the 300, and I'm glad the 400 is consistent with that.
Nice job, covering a budget cooler!

Are you joking? The Hyper 212 Evo is 25 to 30 bucks on newegg EVERY DAY. The reason people "parrot it incessantly" is because it's really that good.

That being said, I'm glad this one is a good cooler - the 212 is too tall for a number of matx / itx cases, so now we have a similar performer at a similar price that's shorter. Good for all of us.

The Gaia, typically $10 cheaper when it was still available, beat it according to at least one good review I'd saved. The CM is loud, and good vs. stock, but poor vs. competition.
It is true that the Hyper EVO has come down in price some recently; perhaps CM realized it was overpriced. The prices I see usually require a $5 MIR, which is a game that not everyone wins. I hate the "rebate" game; state a price, sell at that price, and be done with it.

I've recently seen it listed as 34.00 at the lowest price. Usually it hovers between 25-30 dollars without rebates and those sites that have it for 22.00 with rebate, generally make up for it on overcharging for shipping. I'd much rather pay an additional five bucks for a cooler that either performs as well, or better, and is quieter. I think most people would, if they were aware of the disparity.

Of course, you can always change the fan on the EVO too, and do away with the noise and potentially increase the performance, but once again that increases the price to a level where much better coolers are available.

Of course, you can always change the fan on the EVO too, and do away with the noise and potentially increase the performance, but once again that increases the price to a level where much better coolers are available.

Such as the H7. Which of course is much cheaper than an EVO plus a good fan, since the H7 already has a decent fan.

kunstderfugue

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
I agree that the EVO is not the best value proposition and frankly its age is showing as we find multiple companies beat the crap out of it with cheaper and smaller solutions. However I still chose it for my own rig because not living in the US it's hard to find parts from all but the biggest companies (read Corsair, EVGA, CM) at competitive prices simply because of the economy of scale. So it was literally a better deal for me to buy the EVO + 2 corsair SP120 fans than to try to hunt down something from raijintek or deepcool. It's a shame but it's been working fine and thanks to the fans and my hours of fan curve tweaking it's nigh silent even under torture.

Now I just wish I had access to all these cool small brands.

Kitanul

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
Hi, i just got this cooler today, installed it, no problem, but i placed the fan away from my memory stick. Because the fan push the heat more inside of my case if it face the memory, but if it face backward, it push right on the back fan which push outside. Any opinion on that?
Also i wish to turn the blue light off, is there a way to do it? Thanks...

kunstderfugue

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

I don't know about the blue LED (other than cutting the wire but then you'd be unable to turn it on), but having the fan pull air instead of pushing it might not give you a performance decrease, depending on the heatsink and the setup. I haven't had problems using my EVO with the fan in pull personally, although it is 1-2 degrees hotter than push.

Yes, that's the way it's supposed to be. It's SUPPOSED to blow from front to back, not back to front. So it should be mounted on the same side as the memory, but blow THROUGH the heatsink towards the back fan, and then the back fan blows OUT of the PC. The only way to turn the LED lights on any fan off is to snip the small wire or wires running to the LED or LEDs. You will need to be sure and seal off the ends you have cut, because there will still be power there.

Kitanul

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
Yes, that's the way it's supposed to be. It's SUPPOSED to blow from front to back, not back to front. So it should be mounted on the same side as the memory, but blow THROUGH the heatsink towards the back fan, and then the back fan blows OUT of the PC.
Oh i see, mine is only pushing in the back, and pulling from the cooler. I'll switch it tomorrow, to push in the cooler and to the back instead, it make way more sense now. Thanks!

This is how it SHOULD be configured:

2008izm.jpg

And, if you turn most CPU and case fans, 120, 140, 200 and 230mm models anyhow, around to where you can see each of the four sides, there is usually a small arrow on one of the four sides that indicates which way air will flow when the fan is on so you can orient it correctly on the heatsink or case.

Status
Not open for further replies.