[SOLVED] Deepcool L120t vs Corsair H45 vs Cooler Master Hyper H410R

Aug 1, 2020
I'm having AMD phenom ii x6 1090t on Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 motherboard.
Core processor speed is 3.2 ghz, however I've enabled turbo unlocker for better fps in games.
Now, idle temp is around 45/47 which I think is quite on higher side.
I've changed thermal paste once in last 6 years. Also, I guess stock cooler heatsink doesn't look in a good shape.. Thinking of replacing the cooler to achieve better clock speeds.
I've shortlisted 2 AIO & 2 Air coolers depending on my budget and their availability in my region..

Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Corsair H45
Cooler Master Hyper H410R
Deepcool Gammaxx 400v2 / GTEv2

I'm mostly using my pc for playing csgo for couple of hours per day.

Q1. Do I really need to change the cooler or 47c idle temp is fine?
Q2. This is the first time I'll be changing cooler, shall I go with liquid or Air?
Q3. Which cooler shall I go with from above 4? You can suggest any other but it shouldn't cost more than any of these 4..also I hope availability won't be a problem.

Solution
Shall I go ahead with Thermaltake considering i must remove side panel intake fan which is exactly in front/opposite of processor?

If not, please suggest budget AIO. Then only I'll be able to keep side panel intake fan.
Go ahead with the Thermaltake.
I'd rather you avoid liquid coolers at that price range.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Load thermals matter more. Ignore idle.
Are you even using the correct app to read this cpu's thermals? http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/A... Edition - HDT90ZFBK6DGR (HDT90ZFBGRBOX).html
It has a Thermal Margin of 62C, meaning that when you use the correct app, the reading will count DOWN from 62C as it heats up, thus single digits, 0, and negative numbers are bad.

Q1 can't be properly answered until we know that you're at least using AMD Overdrive and that the load thermals are fine.

2)Depends on the chassis design and how many fans are already in there.

3)Can't really answer this because of 1 and 2.

Also, just remove the Hyper H410R from your list; it's just not in the same league as the others.

Aug 1, 2020
Thanks for the reply.

I use HWmonitor to read temps and yesterday after playing csgo for 2 hours temp was 57c.

Additional info:
Cabinet is Circle CC814 (old model)
Recently installed and replaced all the fans.
2 Front intake (80mm, 120mm) - both are almost non existent as front panel is blocking them.
2 side intake (120mm)
1 exhaust (120mm)
1 PSU fan right above CPU heatsink
Also, I've cleaned heatsink and replaced processor fan which sits on cpu heatsink.

I will try AMD overdrive today and let you know the readings.

Aug 1, 2020
I checked AMD overdrive but seems like it is giving wrong readings about fan speeds and Temps. While all other software showed 62c overdrive was showing 42 something. I cross checked with BIOS as well temp was above 55 at the same time. CPU fan which is supposed to have max speed of 2/3K rpm it was showing 4.8k rpm.

I have not done any stress test but after couple of hours of csgo session cpu temp reached 62c (with boosted clock speed). I'm pretty sure it would reach or cross 65 if I play continuously.

It's rainy season going on here and room temperature is quite on cool side, may be around 26/28c or lower. But once summer starts, ambient temp will rise upto 35-40c in my city.

My concern remains the same as mentioned in OP.

Please suggest.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If overdrive is really showing load thermals in the 40s, then it's not overheating.
I expected it to be higher for a 125w TDP cpu, but maybe it's just me...

My concern remains the same as mentioned in OP.

Please suggest.
With the higher ambient temperature, I'd LIKE to suggest a liquid cooler, but the 120mm models really suck.
Deepcool Gammaxx 400v2 / GTEv2 Air cooler

Aug 1, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply.

But don't you think overdrive readings are incorrect? I cross checked with many others, HWmoniter, HWinfo64, MSI afterburner and Motherboard BIOS, all were almost synced up except overdrive.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
But don't you think overdrive readings are incorrect? I cross checked with many others, HWmoniter, HWinfo64, MSI afterburner and Motherboard BIOS, all were almost synced up except overdrive.
I already explained this to you.
The 1090T uses a different algorithm for reporting its thermals, 'distance to TJ Max', or Thermal Margin, which is 62C.
When using Overdrive, it will start at 62C and read down as the cpu heats up.

None of the other software apps you used read as 'distance to TJ Max' by default.
So if the cpu has a critical limit of 62C Thermal Margin, how are the other apps accurate? The critical limit is going to be a completely different number.

Reactions: AmeyK
Aug 1, 2020
Sorry to bother you again..

Overdrive shows thermal margin for all cores is 70c.
When I start pc after it is completely cooled down starting Temps are 40 ish in other softs and 30 ish in overdrive.
Anyway, I'll cut to the chase as I've already decided to replace the cooler.

I tried measuring space for Deepcool Gammaxx GTEv2 Air cooler but seems like there's some space constraints.. I will have to remove one intake fan and even after there will be very very less space between heatsink and side panel.

I'm thinking of going with some smaller cooler (It will any way perform better than my stock cooler which has 70mm fan)

Please suggest which one should I go with.

Corsair H45 liquid
Deepcool Gammaxx L120t liquid
CM Hyper H410R

Really appreciate your help..!!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm thinking of going with some smaller cooler (It will any way perform better than my stock cooler which has 70mm fan)
Top-down coolers really need side intakes to work well. Solid side panels hurt. It's got nothing to do with a 70mm fan.

I tried measuring space for Deepcool Gammaxx GTEv2 Air cooler but seems like there's some space constraints.. I will have to remove one intake fan and even after there will be very very less space between heatsink and side panel.

Please suggest which one should I go with.

Corsair H45 liquid
Deepcool Gammaxx L120t liquid
CM Hyper H410R
Doesn't even fit? Oh great...
I already told you the CM Hyper H410R was out of the question, so that just leaves the liquid coolers.
Where are you shopping from, and what's the budget?

Aug 1, 2020
I'm shopping from Amazon.in and have budget of around 4K INR.

Would you still suggest Gammaxx 400/GTEv2 if I had to remove side panel intake fan and if it almost brushes to the panel (won't touch the panel I believe, few mm gap should be there)?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Aug 1, 2020
My apologies regarding above comment on Thermaltake.. Amazon India website shows it only support AM4 socket... But I just checked it on official website, it supports AM3 as well.

Aug 1, 2020
Shall I go ahead with Thermaltake considering i must remove side panel intake fan which is exactly in front/opposite of processor?

If not, please suggest budget AIO. Then only I'll be able to keep side panel intake fan.